News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Galea

Quaker Ridge
« on: August 14, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm believe these holes are numbered correctly.

#4 par 4 from tee.

#4 green.

#6 green.

#8 green.

#9 green.

ForkaB

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2001, 05:12:00 PM »
Pete

If the use of any part of your brain in such mundane tasks as numbering in any way detracts from the remarkable ability of the rest of your brain to compose and conjure up fantastic photographic images---fuggetaboutit!

Great stuff!

Joel_Stewart

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2001, 09:18:00 PM »
These pictures make it looks easier than it really plays!

How was the rough, last time I played there it was very penal.  Also the greens speeds average a 10 or 11 on the stimp and if you are above the hole -- good luck just keeping it on the green.

aclayman

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
Pete-
Are those Ross?

You missed my day. a little four birdie even, really pissed everybody off since I'm an eleven point three.

After the fifth bottle of wine at the tap room I was not only on the path I was the path.

DKSmith

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 02:38:00 AM »
I thought it was Tillinghast.

Or did he do Pinehurst #2?

Gene Greco

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 04:19:00 AM »
Tillie
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

GeoffreyC

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 05:12:00 AM »
Pete-

I'm glad you had your camera.  Great shots and you picked my favorite holes on the wonderful front 9.  This 9 holes (much like Huntingdon Valley A-9) is routed around the perimeter of the property in a counterclockwise direction. Those who tend to "miss right" will have a tough time. The back nine is routed in the interior of the property. It is in immaculate condition.

Quaker Ridge is tougher then the beautiful photos appear. This is indeed a Tillinghast gem but I think its apparent from the comments that this isn't obvious from the features in the photos.  There are several bunkers (not in the photos) that are obvious original Tillinghast. Now I'm not criticizing Quaker Ridge as a superb/superior golf course here (which it is) but go to the Fenway course profile and look at those photos.  No one would mistake that for Ross' work. That LOOKS like Tillinghast.

Quaker Ridge was restored and slightly lengthened by Rees Jones for the Walker Cup 4 years ago. Currently, the very severe 1st green is being looked at for softening by the Fazio group.  

ted janeczek

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2001, 06:18:00 AM »
a wonderful course, one of my absolute favorites!!! thanks for sharing. the pics seem to indicate substantial tree growth. how are they doing with limiting tree impact? i especially remember a tree at the corner of the dogleg at #6 which blocked out the left side of the fairway.

BillV

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2001, 03:09:00 AM »
Which course is more consistent, Quaker Ridge or SanFrancisco Golf Club.

It was hot, misty and steamy when we played, but no fog.  I found no 3-iron wedge holes at Quaker, no Duel holes and less than 200 bunkers. With SFGC caddie's book in hand, so I don't forget any cypress trees or other features  

1-QR 1-up
2-level
3-SF barely 1-up
4/5-pick 'em-too bad the numbers aren't better matched i.e. 4vs 5 at each
6-level
7-SF 1-up
8-level
9-SF 1-up

Turn goes to SF, but it doesn't count

10-pick 'em SF remains 1-up
11-level
12-SF 1-up
13-level
14-QR-2-up (No, just 1-up, but by hole biggest difference)
15-QR-2-up generously
16-QR-3-up
17-QR-3up maybe 2-up
18-QR-3or2-up if you were generous on 17

19th-dominoes can't undo the previous losses (Hey, I love dominoes.  We played 'em at Cal

Fire away

13,14,16 really hurt SF.  But Quaker wasn't as strong as I expected.  There may be more, more interesting features at Fenway, but not the length/difficulty.  The trees are well-controlled at Quaker.

Jeff_Lewis

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Trees on 6 were cut back last year. Formerly, one could be blocked from viewing the green from the left side of the fairway. That is no longer the case.

Mike_Cirba

Quaker Ridge
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
Pete;

Thanks for the pictures, and thanks as well for not including any of my chipping spasm, as I've come to refer to the close approximation of St. Vitus Dance I do with my wedge.

As far as impressions, I think QR is a very fine, if relentlessly tough course, whose front nine is rather superior to the back in terms of character and interest.  Thankfully, we played the back nine first, so the day became progressively more interesting.

There are a couple of really good holes that sort of "ride the ridge" along the perimeter of the property, and the greens are among the most varied and consistently interesting of Tillies that I've seen.  Geoffrey and I were both commenting that if Bethpage Black has a set of greens like QR, it would surely be a top 10 course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back