News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Five and Dime at Ridgewood
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2001, 04:24:00 AM »
That sounds like a hell an idea to me, George.  My only problem is I am patently unqualified to take the lead on such given I just had the one trip around!  But if you wanna start it, copy over my humble assessments of 2 and 3, hell yes I'd likely have something to say about EVERY hole and then I'd love to have input from those who know the course far better than I do!

If there's one course on this earth that merits a hole-by-hole thread, NGLA might be it.  Cypress too...

TH

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2001, 05:55:00 AM »
It occurs to me that Tillie may have created a similar hole on #15 at Fenway.  Conceptually, the minute green-size seems similar, at least, although it doesn't appear that Fenway has the steep fall-offs of the green at Ridgewood.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
Mike:

The 6th at Ridgewood Center is demanding because of the angle to the green from the fairway and tee.

In addition, the green is extrememly small and well pitched to avoid over aggressive putting.

I would recommend when coming to Bergen County (NJ) that you stop at Alpine CC in Demarest and see some other Tillie gem short par-4's that have many similar charcteristics to the "five and dime" hole.

Regards,

P.S. Pat, yes the hole plays uphill but the day I played it the wind was behind and I was really hitting the ball well. Would I take such an action in a tournament. Doubtful at best. Other players who I know are really long hitters have also gotten the ball to the putting surface. Is it a smart play? Percentage wise --- no! But, like the 7th at The Olympic Club it can be done when circumstances are present and executiion is flawless.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
Matt,

Yes, I've heard some really good things about Alpine from a few regulars here and hope to get up there next season with a famous world-traveller from this board if he ever gets the chance to play his home course again!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back