News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Monroe a stunning (underrated) Ross gem
« on: November 08, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
Just got back from a little visit to Rochester, N.Y. Had some unplanned free time and spent the afternoon with superintendent Patrick Gertner at a stunning, amazingly sophisticated Ross layout that I had heard about but never before seen - Monroe GC (1923). They've tinkered lightly with a few greens, and it would benefit from removal of 400 trees - most of them dopey white pines and spruce. But the ground contours on this pure sand soil base are amazing; lovely angles, cross and diagonal bunkers; green platforms that drop right into hazards; and some great shots into greens where the green falls away and you have no support for a slightly wayward line. I was blown away.

Everybody knows that Oak Hill-East is overrated and that there's not a shred of Ross left there - the club's short little West Course is much better. But Monroe is in an entirely different league. it has immediately jumped to my top-10 list of Ross courses. Man, if they cleaned it up and did a mild restoration . . . .

Go visit. It's worthwhile

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
The pictures I posted of Monroe in February really don't do it justice. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Brad. The greensites and bunkering are truly special. The course looks and plays nothing like its neighbors OHCC and RCC. The turf is firm and original features that include chocolate drops and approach bunkering abound. It truly is a hidden gem.

Walker_Taylor

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
Brad,
I totally agree. Monroe is a great place. Like most Ross courses par still stands up to the ProV1975J combo. Oh yeah, it's fun to walk, greens and tees close together - yet no one ever gets hit or sued. Somebody should write a book about this guy Ross' simple genius. Recommend his book and yours!!!
They have a great National Am tournament there in June which I've had the privledge of playing in called the Monroe Inv. Jim Mrva the pro is nothing but the best. Glad you found another little slice of heaven. Hope all GCA enthusiasts have the chance to play it when in Pittsford.
All is right with world - don't you think?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2001, 03:09:00 AM »
My brother -- who's opinion I trust -- has played Oak Hill and Monroe. He didn't have much to say about Oak Hill and couldn't stop raving about Monroe.

He thought it to be one of the very best layouts -- Ross or otherwise -- he's ever played.

jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back