News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Blume

Re: Here's an architectural poser for you!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2003, 10:50:16 AM »
TE:

I am a golf course architect based outside of Houston.  I began my career in 1989 with Jeff Brauer's firm in Arlington as a project architect, and moved to Houston in 1992 to take a similar position with Robert von Hagge.  At von Hagge's office I worked closely with Kelly Moran until his departure in 1995, and I formed my own practice in 1997.  Courses I have worked on during my employment with these other architects include Bay Colony Golf Club and Pelican Marsh Golf Club in Naples, Florida; Isla Navidad in Manzanillo, Mexico; Playacar Club de Golf in Playa del Carmen, Mexico; Malibu International Golf Club in Kobe, Japan; Northgate Country Club in Houston, Texas; Bluebonnet Hill in Austin, Texas; and Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course, in Fredericksburg, Texas.  New courses I have designed since starting my own firm include La Paloma Golf Club in Amarillo, Texas; Golf D'Allie at the Farm in Lafayette, Louisiana; and Elkins Lake (Ravines Course) in Huntsville, Texas.  We have also been active in the renovation market, performing services for Baton Rouge Country Club, Lake Charles Country Club, and Sweetwater Country Club in Sugar Land, Texas.

I didn't mean to turn this into a resume, but this should give you some idea of our experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2003, 11:00:27 AM »
Jeff Blume;

Thank you for that and welcome to Golfclubatlas--I hope you come on often--we need all the architects we can get on here. A couple of years ago I even asked Rees to come on here and contribute and he said.....,

Well, never mind what he said!

Jeff Blume

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2003, 01:08:37 PM »
TE:

I have had dinner with Rees a couple of times, and know one of his associates very well.  My guess is that you would have much more success in getting his associates (Steve Weisser or Greg Muirhead) to enter this forum.  In fact, it was Steve that initially told me about GolfClubAtlas.  

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2003, 03:02:29 PM »
JeffB;

If you were Rees would you enter this forum? And if so, why would you?

Rees believes that he's going to do what his clients want--at least that's what he told me--and who's to argue with that?

If I told him something like--to maybe get a feel for some new ideas or whatever--he might say that can happen between me and my clients--and I can't argue with that.

If he's going to do that maybe he feels what's the point of coming on a site like this and discussing architecture with people who have nothing to do with his clients. Maybe he feels what difference does it make what some of those on here think about architecture if the client is the only one that really needs to be considered.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Jeff Blume

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2003, 04:53:42 PM »
TE:

I can't speak for Rees, and why or why not he would visit this forum.  I can say that from my experiences with him, he is a very personable individual who I have the utmost respect for as a leader in our profession.  As I said, I do know that some of his associates visit this forum.  I do not know if they have ever posted.

For my part, I find this site very interesting.  The exchange of ideas and opinions here is sometimes enlightening as well as entertaining.  In addition, I think it is healthy for an architect to get feedback on design issues from people who are outside of his/her immediate circle of influence.  This lends itself to the "outside the box" thinking that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

You referenced architects doing what their client's want, and I can say that all architects strive to do what is in the best interest of their clients.  As the owner's representative, it is the charge of the architect to satisfy the client's wishes, although this does not alway correlate to what a client wants.  As the design professional, it is the responsibility of the architect to advise the client as to the best course of action even if it differs from the owner's desires.  

Along with the client's wishes, it is also necessary to consider the perceptions of the end user of a project.  Golf courses are expensive business endeavors.  If the end user is not considered, then the economic foundation of the project may not be sound and the client's interest are not served.  This is especially true in today's soft golf market.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2003, 06:13:28 PM »
Jeff,

You're just lucky that's the only rememberance - or picture ;) - I post here of you!  Of course, you COULD always retaliate, as you have some stories on me as well.  Remember my profaned tirade at the Burger King in Port Arnansas?

I was reminded of your tendency to 'cluster bunker" because we played Champions in Omaha on our way out to Sand Hills this year.

Jeff was probably the most talented associate I have had the pleasure to mentor.  In fact, if you could take away his blind devotion to his Texas Aggies, he might have been the perfect employee. ;D  I recall two things in particular - on his first project, a small remodel, I happened to be in Singapore.  He had the presence of mind, after about two months on the job, to analyze the bids at a small renovation bid opening.  All bids were high, which is always embarassing.  But he noticed that the cart path bids were extreme, asked why (I think we had gold plating in the specs by mistake >:( ) and get the low bidder to refigure his price so it would be in budget.  I knew right then he would be a player in the business.

I also recall calling in from Singapore three years later, and hearing him tell me he was leaving, for all the right reasons.  He told me then, knowing I would probably offer more money, and generally plead and beg, if I was stateside.  You usually can't keep the good ones long.....

He always loved to hear stories of "the old days" in the golf architecture business.  I think he left when he started to hear "round two" of my tired old stories.....

Anyway, the point of this post is to take full credit for any sucess Jeff has in this business!  ;)  Of course, any mistakes are his alone.......or, he learned those from Von Hagge!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Blume

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2003, 07:44:40 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words.  The Burger King story is not one that I have told often, but since you mentioned it in this public forum I will consider open for discussion ;).  My recollections are more focused to flying coffee cups and a trip to Nebraska for the Woodland Hills opening.  Three days in a car with Derek and Dano was truly an adventure.

Seriously, I will always be grateful to you for giving me my start in the business, and for giving me such a solid foundation from which to build.  I can even say that I appreciate you giving me Buster's job to work on.  That was a fantastic education on two fronts.  The first was learning about the design process and construction, and the second was learning to deal with an eccentric owner.  Although I am sure it does not rank among your best designs, it has to be one of the best money makers of any project anywhere.

By the way, I spoke with David Myrick the other day, and he said he had been in touch with you regarding the Lake Jackson project.  I don't know exactly how the project is progressing, but I can tell you that David is one of the finest superintendents I know and would be a great addition to your project team.  

Best of Luck

Michael Moore

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2003, 07:46:23 PM »
Mr. Paul -

Are you sure you didn't mean architectual poseur?

I'm all for intellectualism, but Max Behr is pushing it!
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2003, 07:51:48 PM »
Jeff Brauer:

I guess they must have given you a completely really truly incredibly shitty burger in the Port Arnansas Burger King for you to throw a tirade as bad as that one sounds. I can't see a guy like you going into a super tirade over a bunker or even a cluster of them.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 06:02:42 AM »
Its the other way around.  Jeff and I were to meet for a nice dinner, as he had just announced his engagement.  Due to weather, our flights were both late, and this town was one of the roll up the sidewalk variety.  All but the fast food places were closed, and we went down the street around ten.  Each restaurant turned out its lights as we went down the street....

The BK was last, and had its lights on.  The employee saw us coming to the drive in window, and came out only to pull down the shade.  He got the brunt of the tirade,

Jeff and I celebrated his engagement by eating M and Ms out of the hotel vending machine.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2003, 08:28:20 PM »
Jeff Brauer:

I do understand about the tirade. The only thing worse than a Burger King giving you a completely, incredibably, totally, truly shitty burger is when they refuse to give you a shitty burger at all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back