News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Re: Best Golf Courses On Long Island
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2003, 05:27:54 PM »
Gene,

I gladly and wholeheartedly defer to you on the switching of Southampton and LI Nat'l, but as you can see, I've carefully limited it to courses I've played or walked and I've never done either there.

Mike,

Same goes for Southward Ho.

Pat,

Honestly, I'm not sure other than recent visits to Fresh Meadows has led me to believe at least most of the members think so. That of course leads to yet another question: What exactly do the current members of Fresh Meadow remember??
Most have either enforced or voluntary Alzheimers and none can subtract a round of golf from the time of 5 hours! I'll ask Charlie...he'll tell me the skinny.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2003, 07:59:11 PM »
Matt:

Your points are well taken.

NO ONE should argue with you if you deem Shinnecock to be not only the greatest course on LI but also in the world. Indeed, it is a better test for the better player than NGLA while it allowing all players of any level to enjoy their rounds.

However, I feel NGLA is more complex architecturally and always seems to have more going on and more to consider when playing every gosh darn shot from every spot on the golf course.

Each course could be considered the best in the world along with 15-20 others.

Remember Rich Goodale's 3 star Michelin type system would only give 3 to about this number of courses. Incidentally, Rich also preferred SH over NGLA but again, he is an accomp-lished  player like yourself and places greater emphasis on more precise demands a course presents when evaluating a golf course.  
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

ChipOat

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2003, 08:04:05 PM »
The U.S. Open that Gene Sarazen won at Fresh Meadow (1932?) was at the club's previous location which, I believe, was actually within the borough limits of Queens.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2003, 05:11:45 AM »
1. Shinnecock
2. NGLA
3. Garden City
4. Friars Head
5. Fishers Island
6. Maidstone
7. Atlantic
8. The Creek
9. Bethpage Black
10. Piping Rock

SPDB

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2003, 10:45:31 AM »

SPDB:

You've got me beat -- I mean -- I have not perfected the ability to simply "see or look" at a course and then determine it's standing. I mean you could be wrong -- er, right? ::)
I still ask you how BB is deficient and at best according to your listing can only grab the 10th spot?

Matt - your love of BB has clouded your vision. I didn't include BB in my list because I've never played it. But twice I said that BB would probably land behind Fisher's (making it somewhere ~ #4). I didn't place it there, but said based on what i've seen that is where I imagine it falling. How can you fault me for that?

Your love of public facilities and length are admirable, but this is a purely opinion driven discussion. I see nothing wrong with hypothetically placing BB behind Fisher's (and ahead of some pretty heady company). Again, though, fisher's should not be part of this discussion, since it really isn't a long island course.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2003, 11:04:08 AM »
SPDB:

Mea culpa on my part! ;)

I certainly agree with you on Fisher's because it's obviously "closer" to Connecticut than the Empire State.

I just wonder if others who are ranking courses on the Island are now holding the Open against BB because of the way the course was prepared for the championship?

A number of posters have listed interesting designs (Piping Rock, The Creek, Maidstone, etc, etc) ahead of BB and that simply puzzles me. BB has plenty of inherent strengths, however, when the USGA decided "muscle-a-size" the layout this may have soured the opinions of a number of observers that the Black is simply about physical strength than mental awareness on many shots / holes throughout the round.  

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2022, 10:23:00 AM »

GWWNK (Given what we now know) This could be a monthly exercise. Bring back a thread from pre-2005 and see how it holds up.

Interesting thread from back in the day. In SL's definitivie top 25, he calls Bridge and Atlantic "rtj" courses. I think that they are simply "rj" courses, and Bridge is much different from what "rj" laid down, thanks to intrepid souls.

Also interesting to see how Friar's Head had traction, so early on.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 11:28:34 AM »
This is a juicy topic for any classic golf course lover. I gladly play anyone's top 10/20 probably without hesitation, the bench is the strongest in the entire country and one of three areas of the world to compete as the best golf on earth. Fife, Sandbelt being the other two IMO.  My humble ranking:
Tier 1 - to keep it civil I'll rank them as 1-3 in any order.
  • Shinnecock
  • NGLA
  • Fisher's Island
Tier 1a - again put them in any order.
  • Friar's Head
  • Garden City
  • Maidstone
  • Bethpage Black
Tier 2 - I was going to put 1c, as these aren't tier 2 anything anywhere, but ...
  • Sebonack
  • Piping Rock
  • Creek
  • Atlantic
Honorable mention (limit to 5)
  • Bridge
  • Southhampton
  • Westhampton
  • Engineers
  • Inwood
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Rob Marshall

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
I would say anyone qualified to rate them (they've played all) has done pretty well for themselves......
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

Re: Best Golf Courses On Long Island New
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 12:14:18 PM »
1. Shinnecock
2. NGLA
3. Garden City
4. Friars Head
5. Fishers Island
6. Maidstone
7. Atlantic
8. The Creek
9. Bethpage Black
10. Piping Rock

I'll bite, though I might quibble with the order.
First, Fishers, though in New York, is NOT on Long Island, and is much closer to Connecticut.
So throw Sebonack in there somewhere in its place.
St George's deserves a spot in there so given I'm not much of a fan of BB(I understand some will disagree) it moves well out.

Jeff Schley's honorable mention list(below) is pretty spot on,

"Honorable mention (limit to 5)

-The Bridge

• Southhampton
  • Westhampton
  • Engineers
  • Inwood"
  • Back to Jeff Warne ;) 
  • after that I'd throw in Huntington CC, Sand's Point, North Shore, Cherry Valley and Rockaway Hunt, along with Bethpage Red, Bethpage Black, East Hampton, Meadowbrook, Fresh Meadow, Old Westbury,Glen Oaks and  Noyak(much improved recently)-pretty much in that order.
  • I never really got the whole Deepdale thing-it probably gets in there along around the Fresh Meadow part of the list.
    Timber Point has many memorable holes and probably slips in the LI Top 20-25 and would easily be a Top 10 as far as places I consider favorites.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:56:17 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 12:28:41 PM »
One that never gets mentioned is Laurel Links. I'd put in in honorable mention. St George's has had some extensive renovation done. Hanse did some work at Westhampton. LI has embarrassing golf riches.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 01:26:35 PM »
I'll second Laurel Links, its the hidden gem on the North Fork.
Be the ball

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 03:02:58 PM »
Fishers Island regardless of being closer to Connecticut has a Suffolk County, NY address. Connecticut can’t lay any claim to Fishers even if the ferry goes out of New London.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 08:06:08 PM »
Could do "best courses in the proposed 'Peconic County'" and it will likely go shoulder to shoulder with any other region in the world.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 12:43:28 AM »
Having played every private club on Long Island, plus every worthwhile public course, I have a fairly broad opinion of the best courses.
The top tier that Jeff Schley posted is great, but Friars Head is easily in that tier as well.  Below that there are a few GCA beloveds that garner huge likes at the expense of other greats. Jeff Warne posted a bunch of absolutely great courses that do not receive their due.  And Bethpage Red is certainly great.  Not mentioned so far, but there is architectural greatness to be found at Seawane, Garden City CC, Wheatley Hills, Eisenhower Red, Glen Head, Southward Ho, and Nassau, in spite of it's new imitation ANGC bunkering.

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 07:35:47 AM »
Having played every private club on Long Island, plus every worthwhile public course, I have a fairly broad opinion of the best courses.
The top tier that Jeff Schley posted is great, but Friars Head is easily in that tier as well.  Below that there are a few GCA beloveds that garner huge likes at the expense of other greats. Jeff Warne posted a bunch of absolutely great courses that do not receive their due.  And Bethpage Red is certainly great.  Not mentioned so far, but there is architectural greatness to be found at Seawane, Garden City CC, Wheatley Hills, Eisenhower Red, Glen Head, Southward Ho, and Nassau, in spite of it's new imitation ANGC bunkering.

Good catch Robert-nice additions-not sure how I left off Glen Head ;),a personal favorite where I've enjoyed success.
No one really listed Montaik either, which I put in the 20-25 area.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »
Could do "best courses in the proposed 'Peconic County'" and it will likely go shoulder to shoulder with any other region in the world.
That’s something I have not heard in quite awhile, “Peconic County”.  Let’s break it down even further and go with best in Southampton town.  Go Dawgs!
NGLA
SHGC
The rest are up for debate

corey miller

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2022, 02:58:03 PM »

I love the way Jeff presented his list, very fair.

In a similar way and in order of where I would prefer to play:

Tier 1:

NGLA
Shinnecock

Tier 2:

Garden City
Fisher's Island
Maidstone
Friar's Head

Tier 3:

Creek
Piping Rock

Tier 4:

Sebonack
Bethpage Black (no interest in playing)

Have not played Atlantic or The Bridge but most interested in how they now compare after seeing photos of the recent work (congrats jeff W).

Have not played much on Long Island even though I grew up there (and like to think I lost the accent), but I do love the qualities of Huntington and a personal favorite Rockaway Hunting which is scenic and a great walk and with the wind and the compactness of the property has more interesting angles off the tee of any of the above mentioned. 

And how can a course so good be on property so flat? Hence my appreciation of Garden City.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2022, 07:25:27 PM »
Cory why the lack of interest in Sebonack?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

corey miller

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2022, 08:08:46 PM »

All the courses I have mentioned are at least 7's and above so I am not sure that I have a lack of interest in Sebonack though I guess there are multiple places on Long Island I would prefer to play including Rockaway Hunting which may not even be a "7" in most people's minds.

Not even mentioned are Huntington and St. George (the latter may be a 7) which I also very much like playing.

I felt the greens at Sebonack were too undulating in relation to size.  Only option was hitting green rather than any particular area on green which would be my preference.  Played with two club pros who were much more positive on the course which admittedly was played on a very windy day.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2022, 10:49:12 PM »
I've always considered Sebonack the only course I've played other than Oakmont that they could have the US Open at on any given day.
Be the ball

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 06:40:06 PM »
I'll base it on my ratings

Tier 1: (9+)

Shinnecock
NGLA
Fishers Island
Friars Head

Tier 2: (7-8)
Garden City
Bethpage Black
Maidstone
Sebonack
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:48:57 PM by Kevin Pallier »

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2022, 11:27:42 AM »

If you want variety, Long Island has it- lacking in true Links, but perhaps we have a couple (Maidstone and Rockaway?)

For those that like to shit on the Black- well I am sorry you feel that way. The Black is a just a tremendous golf course with amazing scale, a giant, and yes I understand what it could be and what it should be, but it remains a great example of big time American inland golf architecture.

Obviously when folks here think of Long Island- the attention goes to the National, Shinnecock, Maidstone and Friars Head- and rightly so. But perhaps you've never heard of Hungtington Crescent or Sands Point- or you've never seen North Shore- which if you enjoy the photographs of the NLE LINKS CLUB, then you ought to get over to North Shore.

Do what you will with Fishers and Hay Harbor ...

Maybe the most underrated golf course on Long Island is Engineers- besides the the long 3rd par 3, the place is unbelievable in regards to severity and compelling hole after hole (10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 !!!)as defined by golf that is so valued these days and always on here.

A topic that is often covered here, but always fun to revisit.

Shinnecock
NGLA
Friars Head
Bethpage Black
Maidstone
Piping Rock
Engineers
The Creek
Garden City Golf Club
St George's
Sands Point (if you haven't been recently you need to)

Rockaway Hunt
Bethpage Red
North Shore
Montauk
Huntington Crescent
Huntington CC
Westhampton
Southampton
Atlantic

Glen Head
Gardiners Bay
Sebonack
East Hampton
Fresh Meadow
Inwood
Brookville
Bethpage Yellow
Cold Spring
The Bridge
Southward Ho
Garden City CC
Cherry Valley

Hempstead
Pine Hollow
Douglaston
Quogue Field Club
Bellport
Shelter Island CC
Deepdale
Meadow Brook
Bethpage Green
Mill River
Timber Point

Noyac
Village Club of Sands Point
Rockville Links
Old Westbury
Glen Oaks
Meadow Brook
Seawane
Bridgehampton Club

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:49:37 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

archie_struthers

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2022, 08:46:36 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)

What an embarrassment of riches for you guys on the Island. I think Philly has a great line up but pretty tough to beat the one M Shea just laid out.

Quite sure his taste is spot on , as he and I share memories of one of the great bars ever , Phil's Bongo Room in Avalon NJ. So sad it left for condo's for the rich and famous

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2022, 09:10:26 AM »
I'll base it on my ratings

Tier 1: (9+)

Shinnecock
NGLA
Fishers Island
Friars Head

Tier 2: (7-8)
Garden City
Bethpage Black
Maidstone
Sebonack

Funny, those are the same as my ratings!

The Creek is also a 7.  St George’s might be, I haven’t been back in 20 years.  Engineers was, long ago.  Huntington CC is the sleeper.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back