News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Daytona Beach Publics
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
Searching the archives, I've yet to come across any news of enjoyable Daytona Beach public courses.  I'll be there in July of 2009 and will certainly bang a few shells.  Any thoughts on LPGA International or other public-access tracks in the area?  Thanks in advance for your contributions.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:49:52 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Daytona Beach Publics
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »
Victoria Hills in nearby DeLand is worth the effort.I played there a few years ago. A Ron Garl design, this course is atypical of Florida golf in that it is not flat. There's at least 50 or 60' of elevation change which is a lot for Florida.

Bobby Weed recently did a facelift of New Smyrna Beach GC, a Ross design from the early 20s. I haven't played there but it may be worth a shot.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:54:07 PM »
Ronald:

Also over near Deland is the renovated Deltona Hills, now known as The Deltona Club I believe. I haven't seen it since completed, but I saw a PowerPoint slide show from Bobby Weed and it looks like a lot of fun. It's in the area near Victoria Hills, which is in a part of the state that resembles North Carolina more than Florida with it's trees and elevation change.

Sobe

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »
Ronald-Steve and Doug are correct on the Victoria Hills recommendation. Very nicely done (Ron Garl does some pretty nice work), very much a North Carolina vibe (with the elevation changes and vegetation).
   I am also in the tank for The Deltona Club. I played it back in March and loved it. Bobby Weed exposed the sandy soil in many spots to create dramatic bunkering and really did a nice job of utilizing the rolling nature of the site (there are some neat short par fives here that utilize the land very well). There are one or two bland holes (from memory, the last par three on the front is very average) but overall it is worth the effort to get there. It is about 20 minutes between Deland (Victoria Hills) and Deltona.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Having played Victoria Hills several times I would agree that it is worth the visit.

The second course that was built at LPGA is also worth playing - I believe it is the Arthur Hills course.

Palm Coast is not far away if you want to pay a little more to play Hammock Beach. Well worth the visit and maybe you can get a deal in the off season (especially the way the economy will be by July next year :D).

If you can get on any private course in the area try to get on Oceanside in Daytona. It's kind of linksy, not too long but plenty of fun - especially with some wind blowing.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
I'd like to report that Victoria Hills is everything mentioned above and more.  Terrific challenge, wonderful conditioning, great variety and worth whatever they might charge you.  Great black bean soup, too.  The staff was receptive, the course gave and took (44 on front with few bad shots, 36 on back that included three cons. birdies) from the tips, and I'd be back in a heartbeat.  Sadly, could not get to Deltona...excuse for a return trip, I guess.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Noser

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
I would 2nd or third the recommendation for Deltona. it was great when I went in June. All other mentioned were OK when I played. There are a couple Ross courses in the area not sure how much is still there. The Daytona beach country club has a Ross course I thought they were redoing a couple holes at a time not sure how much is done if any??But As said Deltona is well worth the drive. there are some really good holes there. it is not like Florida golf at all!!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »
  Any thoughts on LPGA International or other public-access tracks in the area?  Thanks in advance for your contributions.

I have only driven into LPGA but it appears to be the Poster Child for Florida golf. You will have a nice day but it is nothing that you have not seen before.

In the 10 round test, Deltona 7, Victoria 3. Deltona is probably 30 minutes from The Speedway and 40 from the beach.

Vero Beach to the south appears to have some pretty good for Florida courses but I have not played any.

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:21 AM »
The GC at Cypress Head is decent in Port Orange.

New Smyrna Beach municipal is okay.  A Ross redo on a very flat old site.  It isn't fair to compare it to his great MA courses, but it is similar to other flat Florida Ross courses like CC of Orlando.

Victora Hills is obviously terrific, and I've been a fan of Deltona Hills (now Deltona Club) since long before the renovation.

While I don't care for the Rees course at LPGA, I will defend the Art Hills course there.  I've always liked it.   Don't know if it is Legends or Champions.

DeBary is pretty good.  Tight in places.  Loved by locals. 

I have not played the Daytona Beach municipal courses.

Sally Livingston

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »
LPGA is real FL alright. The good news is it drains fast should the afternoon rains come in. Victoria Hills is great and check out the Palm Coast area, just north of Daytona too. If you're looking for a good golf resort destination, check out Hammock Beach's Ocean Hammock -Nicklaus design and Tom Watson's Conservatiory course.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
Searching the archives, I've yet to come across any news of enjoyable Daytona Beach public courses.  I'll be there in July of 2009 and will certainly bang a few shells.  Any thoughts on LPGA International or other public-access tracks in the area?  Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Ronald Montesano "has no history nor demonstrated interest in the LPGA. Energy? Duhh, FORE." Don't think we need respond to "a catatonic used-to-be?"
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
Concur with the two Deland courses, Victoria Hills and Deltona, and/or you could drive to St. Augustine and play Ocean Hammock and Hammock Dunes.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »
Baylery R. Garland

The words ring familiar...are they mine?  If so, remind me.  I can't quite place them.

The presumed catatonic used-to-be
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back