News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Flynn's Woodcrest
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

Dan , I grew up right around the corner from Woodcrest and there were never any holes going back to the early sixties across the road. There was a dairy farm to the East . and the housing is from 1950's vintage all around the golf course.

I'd be shocked to hear that they abandoned holes at some time in the past and never heard anything about this. 

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
There were several holes originally designed by Flynn across Evesham Road.  We have pictures showing the holescut out of the woods but never completed.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
There were several holes originally designed by Flynn across Evesham Road.  We have pictures showing the holescut out of the woods but never completed.\

Fred,

I've seen the drawings of the holes on the other side of the road,, but never knew the holes had been roughed out.

Why were they abandoned ?

Did a developer make an offer that the club couldn't refuse.

Woodcrest has some of the neatest holes around.

I also remember that the clubhouse overpowered the locale.

A more modest, functional, clubhouse would have fit in nicely, but, when golf clubs cease being golf clubs and transition into country clubs, that seems to be the M.O.

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
 ::) 8) ::)

Fred that is really interesting stuff. I wonder why they would start and stop on holes across Evesham. Was the club originally member owned before the Goldthorpe's  owned it . My understanding is that it was public during their tenure. Would that have ended around 1960 ???

It's a fun , challenging course.. despite greens that are very flat in general.   You have to hit it straight here

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »
According to the ever expanding Flynn book, and on the subject of Woodcrest, and according to J. Wesley Goldthorp who initially bought 1,200 acres in the area, a part of which would become Woodcrest GC by William Flynn, there were five holes planned across Evesham Rd that were  planned but never built or finalized.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:40:33 AM by TEPaul »

Rick Sides

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »
After reading the article, it seems like a messy battle.  Is Woodcrest currently allowing public play or is it an option to go public?  I'd hate to see it close or have something else built on the property.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
Others earlier in this thread mentioned the strong par 3's at Woodcrest.  Just yesterday I took a peek at this course in Cherry Hill, NJ, and I must agree that the 1-shotters are quite good.  Here are some pics:

#3.  173 yards

#5.  153 yards.

#7.  207 yards (the first bunker is well short of the green).

#13.  uphill and 190 yards.

And my favorite of them all,

#17.  181 yards.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:32:43 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark McKeever

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »
Nice pictures Joe.  Course reminds me of Lehigh a lot.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
What's going on there with those par 3 numbers? Obviously they must have flipped the nines on that course. When did they do that? I guess I have been there in up to ten years now.

Well, anyway, if they did it makes a lot of sense actually!

mike_malone

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Wow! I have got to get there. Another Flynn with 5 par threes and all look spectacular. I wonder if that lip on that left bunker on #7 is original; it is awesome.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
What's going on there with those par 3 numbers? Obviously they must have flipped the nines on that course. When did they do that? I guess I have been there in up to ten years now.

Well, anyway, if they did it makes a lot of sense actually!

Yep, they did flip the nines recently.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
Wow! I have got to get there. Another Flynn with 5 par threes and all look spectacular. I wonder if that lip on that left bunker on #7 is original; it is awesome.

M2, I don't think there are Flynn drawings for Woodcrest. So I don't know if that trap mound on 7 is original. My guess is the Rees-ifacation did not create it.  ;)

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
 :P :-X ???

Yikes the 7th redo IMNSHP is not good at all...the green is too big , tends to repel shots, and  does not resemble the rest of the greens.  To this is the worst thing an architect can do with a renovation, that is , create a hole that does not blend in to the genre.

This happened at my home course (Greate Bay)  Park (1923 or is it 1925 ??????) where Ron Garl built holes that looked nothing like their predecessors that Park had done so well...We have ripped out one , restored another , but the two that remainstill irkme every time I play them. 

Same with #7 at Woodcrest , it just isn't right.   

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
:P :-X ???

Yikes the 7th redo IMNSHP is not good at all...the green is too big , tends to repel shots, and  does not resemble the rest of the greens.  To this is the worst thing an architect can do with a renovation, that is , create a hole that does not blend in to the genre.

This happened at my home course (Greate Bay)  Park (1923 or is it 1925 ??????) where Ron Garl built holes that looked nothing like their predecessors that Park had done so well...We have ripped out one , restored another , but the two that remainstill irkme every time I play them. 

Same with #7 at Woodcrest , it just isn't right.   

Archie, I would like to argue with you, but I'm afraid all the facts are on your side.

;)

archie_struthers

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
 ;D 8) ;D

thanks Joe and by the way your pictures keep getting better all the time , some great angles of Woodcrest  ..appreciate seeing them

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
The Flynn book tells me that trees were cleared for the 5 holes across the road, but they never got built.  This 1931 aerial from Historic Aerials suggests that is likely true.  You can see the trees cleared for five holes in that "triangle", which pretty much match where those holes are on the Flynn routing from 1929 hanging in the card room of the clubhouse.  Those holes were to be 2-6, with the 1st hole being the current 10th.

archie_struthers

Re: Flynn's Woodcrest New
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »

;D 8) :D

Way cool guys thanks Joe B
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:43:28 AM by archie_struthers »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
Joe - you rock!  Nicely done!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back