News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Dreer Award at Cornell
« on: February 25, 2004, 05:14:54 PM »
Local golfer aces prestigious Dreer Award

STEVE WARTO, a former Aragon High golf star, has designs on becoming a course architect. A few years ago a shy kid came wandering up on the range and asked some advice about a career in golf course design. I gave the boy a list of books on architectural history to read. People won't generally bother to pour through tomes written in the 1920s and'30s unless they are hooked. Most kids go through continual phases trying to decide what they want to do with the rest of their life, but there was something about Warto that told me his decision on a career path was final and non-negotiable. A couple months later we had a conversation on some classic architectural schematics, and this teenager began to seamlessly quote from Mackenzie, C.B. Macdonald and George Thomas. He hadn't glanced through the books; he'd memorized them. Warto spent most of his time playing the local tracks until he was accepted for a junior membership at Green Hills. So it is no surprise that Alister Mackenzie remains his favorite designer. Many of us golfers who took up the game early in life spent hours ignoring the teacher in algebra class while drawing up golf holes. Warto was one of those kids who instinctively knew that he must understand the past before being part of the future. Next, I lent him "The Anatomy of a Golf Course," a book written by Tom
Doak. Doak is the iconoclastic founder of Renaissance Golf Design, a maverick firm that brought us courses like the already world-famous Pacific Dunes in Bandon, Ore. In it, Doak recounts his journey from high school to Cornell University -- where he won a grant to follow in the footsteps of Robert Trent Jones Sr. -- and study abroad in search of the architectural roots of our game. This Cornell educational grant is known as the William Fredrick Dreer Award, given to one student every year. It is the most sought-after and prestigious education award for golf designers and agronomists in the world. Studying hundreds of courses all over the United Kingdom and returning with a wealth of knowledge, Doak landed a job with Pete Dye before eventually founding his own firm. For those who keep track, his frequent roommate at Dye's firm was John Harbottle III, who has brought us Stevinson Ranch, Monarch Bay and remodels of Stanford GC and Los Angeles CC, among others. Warto decided that Doak's trail was the surest path between here and there, opting to attend Santa Barbara City College to improve his grades while working at a local landscape architecture firm. He also spent time teaching an autistic boy named Jared. Perspective comes in all places if you pay attention. Gaining admission to Cornell after two years, Warto called and said he was going to enter the landscape architecture program and try to win the Dreer Award. The application is arduous and requires the planning of a full year of continuous study and travel as well as practical experience. The award does not necessarily go to budding golf designers as it encompasses the entire discipline of architecture, agronomy, horticulture and botanical research. Despite the fierce competition, I was not surprised when he wrote to say he had won. Warto's itinerary beginning June is dizzying. The list of courses he is committed to visit and study is voluminous. I quit counting at 125, and this before he begins an internship next year somewhere around the world with former Dreer winner Tom Doak or Brian Costello and Mark Hollinger at JMP Golf Design in Northern California. Warto and I talked before he applied for the award about keeping a diary of his travels overseas. I told him if he won, we would check in with him occasionally for a look at courses around the world through the eyes of a talented architect in the making. A longshot, but sometimes longshots pay off. At the conclusion of his journey, Warto will present his findings to the faculty at Cornell. By then, I am sure he will be well along the path to designing a golf course of his own. The life of a golf architect is full of travel and long hours, much of the time in lonely hotel rooms far from home and family. But it is also the fondest childhood dream of this San Mateo native. With any luck, one day he will return and build one for us golfers he left behind.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 05:27:09 PM by Gib_Papazian »

THuckaby2

Re:Dreer Award at Cornell
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:17:17 PM »
Gib - you'll be happy to know your fans are looking out for you... this was posted in here a few days ago by Mike Benham.  Great stuff in any case.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
Treehouse et al,

I would appreciate any help, advice or guidance you can give Steve when he crosses the pond. I'll vouch that he is one of the nicest and sincerest kids I've known.

-Gib

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 05:28:02 PM »
Oooops, sorry didn't see Mike had posted it. I cannot figure out how to delete this topic now.  Ran?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 05:46:10 PM »
Treehouse et al,

I would appreciate any help, advice or guidance you can give Steve when he crosses the pond. I'll vouch that he is one of the nicest and sincerest kids I've known.
Sure....

1. Thank his lucky stars every morning that he wakes up.

2. Indulge himself in the spirit of "golf on the links"

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 10:03:55 PM »
http://www.demarests.org/noah/thesis

Gib,

Just to give people a perspective of the talent that is up at Cornell ( and probably other schools), here is a thesis from a Cornell student in reference to changes needed on the Cornell course. I would agree with most of the paper.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:12:26 AM by Mike_Sweeney »

jg7236

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 12:34:24 AM »
Gib,

It is great to hear from you, fantastic story.  If one has dedication, determination, a big heart, and believes in making their dreams come true, they will.  

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 07:14:14 AM »
Gib:

Am I mistaken or would it be correct to say that Gil Hanse also won the Dreer Award and spent a year in Scotland because of it?

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 07:56:12 AM »
Gib

You've got my contact details.  Feel free to give them to Steve.  I'll do what I can to help him when he comes over here.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 08:11:34 AM »
Gib:

If this young man has potential, do everything in your power to keep him away from Rich Goodale when in Scotland! The kid might be impressionable and actually listen to Rich, something that is somewhat akin to turning the young man's burgeoning talent into roadkill!

;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 08:31:54 AM »
Tom P:

Gil Hanse also won the Dreer Award in 1987.  And I believe there have been three more since Gil who won it to study golf course design in the U.K.  Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly which ones ... I've been in contact with about twenty Cornell students who wanted to be golf architects in the past 10-12 years.  Chris Monti, who works with Bobby Weed now, was one of them.

The award is given by the Floriculture & Ornamental Horticulture Department [of which Landscape Architecture is a part].  It's specifically set up for students who could not pursue their chosen field entirely through the classroom and who would benefit from a year overseas.  Obviously, it helped me and Gil a lot, so they keep giving it out to golf architects.

My own internship program is my payback for that award.  By the way, the deadline for submitting applications for our internship is the first of March ... we've got about 25 of them so far, but I expect they'll be flooding in the rest of this week ... college students love to wait until the deadline!

GeoffreyC

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 09:11:23 AM »
Great story Gib.

Should Steve's travels require him to venture up to our neck of the woods please have him contact me.  I'm sure Cornell man Mike Sweeney would join me in providing a tour of the Yale course and perhaps some others.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back