News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Gents: Thought I'd bring you up to speed with the minutes from the second meeting of the Toronto chapter of GCA. Due to circumstances beyond my control, coupled with a strange accident involving a long putter, I am remiss to admit I did not post minutes from the first meeting, which occured at Christmas. As punishment, I must now play an entire round at Mississauga's famed Lionhead Legends course with only Pinacle golf balls.

Those present: Robert Thompson, Ben Dewar, and Ian Andrew

The second meeting of the Toronto chapter of GCA included broad ranging discussions on topics from the merits of Rustic Canyon (a raging debate between Mr. Andrew and Mr. Dewar occured late in the meeting); why Augusta's changes mean it isn't a priority to play (another debate ensued); how to get Messrs. Thompson and Andrew out to Banff for the trip; the benefits of drinking $2500 worth of Scotch at Gleneagles (with notes from Ben) and comments of the caliber of the King's Course (top 100, all agreed); the greatness of Seminole, Pine Valley and Pebble Beach; comments on whether Turnberry is truly great (Messrs. Dewar and Thompson agree on this matter, Mr. Andrew disagrees calling several holes "very average"); with an interlude on the benefits of having children.

A lengthy conversation also centered on the wonderfulness of Highlands Links, why Ben must play the National in Toronto, and how Tom Fazio screwed up at Riviera. A trip to California was discussed. After at least 15 beers, the meeting was adjourned, with another gathering expected in the next month or two.

No punches were thrown during the course of the meeting.

Sincerely, your secretary,

Robert Thompson
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 05:34:22 PM by Robert Thompson »
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

ian

Re:Report: The second monthly meeting of the Toronto chapter of GCA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 12:47:38 PM »
My frickin head hurts this morning. :P

Are you sure I was there, I don't remember being there?

I think I saw Matt Ward last night. There might have been more people there, its all kinda fuzzy right now.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 02:25:12 PM »
Robert, You forgot to add in the minutes a proposed away meeting next year in LA this time of year when its so freekin' cold in Toronto! This way I can attend!

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »
Gents: Thought I'd bring you up to speed with the minutes from the second meeting of the Toronto chapter of GCA.
A lengthy conversation centered on how Tom Fazio screwed up at Riviera.

Did you discuss the optionless 8th...What other features did my brothers from the north of the border find screwed up at Riviera...was your only source of information GCA or has someone actually seen the course pre and post work...and what was gained by the conversation besides the usual backslapping of those who find themselves so smart.   Did you come up with anything constructive to improve the game we love to both play and watch without making one or the other mutually exclusive.

ian

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 03:12:32 PM »
Jakab,

"or has someone actually seen the course pre and post work"

Yes, but the backslapping about how smart we are was the best part. We missed you, will you come next month.

Tommy,

Damn right, although it was supposed to be florida. Although one of our out of country members doesn't like the golf there. ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 03:24:17 PM »
This really puts the Great Lakes Chapter of GCA to shame. Our meeting, which was attended by 9 people, negleted to appoint a secretary or clerk to record all the useless pontifications. It's been said to be better late then never, so from the floor I nominate the following for the GLCGCA board:

President: Shivas (this guarantees beer will be a part of every meeting agenda!)(Think in terms of no opening prayer, but an opening beer or five!)

VP: David Wigler (as part of the checks and balances required in any good organization, David will make sure Shivas isn't always right!)

Secretary: Doug Sobieski (only on the grounds that he is "connected", he can email in reports directly from the meeting place to GCA.com through his Blackberry device!)

Treasurer: Myself (it will be a short term for me, as after only one or two years I will be rightly accused of embezzling after losing horrific amounts of money on the golf course to each of the other officers!)

If only JakaB was located a little closer, I would nominate him to be Chapter CEO!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JakaB

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 03:35:28 PM »
The broadcast just came on...and the thought of a bunch of guys in Toronto saying how that course is screwed up is laughable....maybe tinkered with..maybe altered..but screwed up..you must be oot of your minds..

ian

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 04:48:32 PM »
Jakab,

The funny thing was how we agreed that the course is in our personal top 10. I thought the routing was just shy of Merion as one of the great routings. We al agreed that conceptually turning the 8th back into the split fairway was great.

Our only question that Robert refered to was the flatness of the right landing, as opposed to the rolling fairway on the left. We felt that had the right fairway been more contoured and the left fairway been more accessible (ie tree removal), then the balance would have been better. It an opinion we shared, the work is not awful, but could have been better in our opinion.

Otherwise Riviera is and will always be one of the best routed and strategically concieved courses. There is very little not to admire with Thomas's work. Possibly that is why we are so reactive to new work, when we feel something is taken away (in our opinion).

Now you have all the facts of that small conversation, I must return to backslapping and strutting like a peacock.

Respectfully,

Ian Andrew, Jr. Member, GCA Toronto Chapter.

JakaB

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 04:54:39 PM »
Ian,

That is a funny thing..I'm still laughing at the strutting like a peacock after a clever architectural observation.  Would you buy into my theory that the course was set up Thursday to make the left fairway the best option partly because of fringe groups like yours meeting in the night discussing how the course was screwed up...I hope it is true as it would make our efforts all that much more backslap worthy...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:55:15 PM by JakaB »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 05:36:48 PM »
I will put forward a motion at the March meeting that we should hold next year's February meeting of the Toronto chapter of GCA in L.A., or maybe San Francisco.

At this point, almost anywhere would be better than Toronto.

Robert

ian

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 05:50:10 PM »
Jakab,

I was far too self absorbed looking at myself in the mirror on thursday to watch any of the coverage. I seem to be greying fast. I wish I saw the pin location and coverage to be able to answer your question.

It struck me that the tee is so far right that the right fairway allow you any choice of shot (or club) to play your first shot. Hitting left requires a fade and length to avoid chancing a bad bounce.

I'm very aware that my opinion is only that "another" opinion on some web site; what you fail to get is that sharing it with other golfers is an interesting way to test your ideas and learn from your own apinion and those of others. I'm smart enough to not think that I'm always right, comes with working in the field.

Will you attens one of our meetings? The backslapping and high fives are great, the other patrons couldn't figure out why we were doing this watching golf.

By the way did Jim Nance mention us? ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 05:57:17 PM »
Ian,

Your meeting was actually in an establishment with other patrons? That's another strike against the Great Lakes chapter....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Robert Thompson

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 07:44:29 PM »
Mr. Jakab,

I have returned to my notes of last night's proceedings and can comment in more detail about "how Tom Fazio screwed up Riviera."

From my notes, I can tell you that:

a) The subject was raised by Mr. Dewar, after noticing a recent post about said club on GCA
b) Since Mr. Andrew had recently returned from said course, issues involving the split 8th fairway, noting that few golfers play to the left
c) More beer arrived, briefly interrupting our discussion. Mr. Dewar was then distracted by our lovely young barmaid, but managed to get himself together to comment on:
             1) Tom Fazio's role in overgrading the fairway
             2) To point out that he, Mr. Dewar, is really, really only 25 years old and
             3) That the course remains a great test of golf
d) At this point, Mr. Andrew, who had apparently passed out in his seat, was roused enough to comment, "That damned Fazio, he gets all the work." He then passed out again.
e) When Mr. Andrew awoke moments later, it was decided that, despite Mr. Fazio's "screwup," said course remains a tremendous test, perhaps in the Top 10 in the world.

From my notes, it would then appear discussion turned to the merits of Seminole and which courses were worth playing in Reynolds Plantation.

I hope this clarifies the matter. I will attempt to cut back on my alcohol intake and take more careful notes next time.

I'd also like to point out that now that we've made the Toronto chapter of GCA public, we're open to new members. Matthew MacKay, recently returned from the homeland of golf, has already inquired about participating in the March meeting. Welcome Matthew!

Dutifully,

Robert Thompson
MA. J and Secretary, Toronto chapter of Golfclubatlas.com
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:39:00 PM by Robert Thompson »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »
You guys had a female bringing your drinks?????

I'm moving to Toronto.....

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 10:41:50 PM »
Love the post guys. Now I know what goes on in the great white north while waiting for grass to grow back.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
Thanks Ed. It has been so long since I've seen grass in Toronto, I hardly recall what it looks like. Thank god for golf on television...

Robert

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 10:55:09 PM »
Robert,
I think your group should ask Matt Ward to join, or at least be the official liason between borders. I think he is well suited for the position as he too uses a lot of OOOOOOOOs in his speech, like, "that course is sooooo bad I couldn't wait to get oooooooout of there", He should have the time as he'll be putting "Gator Golf" to bed about the time the snow melts up there.    ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 12:28:45 AM »
I would request photos accompany all meeting note, so that we can see all parties involved.  

I also wonder if there is a place where we could place a roster of pictures of each of the estemed members.  Or get together photos, I love to be able to put a face with each name.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Foley

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 09:50:59 AM »
Guys,

How about the next time you send out a little advanced notice of your monthly meetings so those of us in the general vicxinity can arrange a buisness trip. :)

This snow thing is killing me. Don't know about you guys, but here in the "snow belt" snow is still a foot deep it'll be a balm 22 on Wednesday and no sign of spring. What I'd give for sunny and 80 degrees!!!!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 10:00:47 AM »
John,

It was in the mid-60's here Fri and Sat, mid-50's yesterday -all sunny...just to rub it in a little... ;D    Teed it up with a fellow GCAer yesterday....still shot a damn Halmi (6 lip-outs)  :P   :-[

Oh, yes.  Please post pics, guys, eh?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 11:10:16 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 07:04:56 PM »
Who'd you tee it up with Scott, and where?  Lets hear the story.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 11:43:55 PM »
Sorry about contributing to a thread-'sidetrack', but...

Allan Long and I tee it up at my home club, nothing too outrageous.  Third time we've tee it up there.  Another (seemingly past) poster joined us the first time.  Teed it up with Jonathan Doyle (moved down here from Manhattan almost 2 months ago) 12 days ago at Finley.  Brian Gracely and I teed it up just after Christmas.  Another poster (also seemingly from the past) and I teed it up a couple of times (home-and-home).  Had a foursome planned for Thursday at Tobacco Road, but the weather forecast postponed that.

There are a decent number of guys from this area who have posted at some point within the past several years.  Four other guys and I have e-mailed, but never teed it up.

Have teed it up locally with two non-local GCAers, once at my club, once elsewhere.

Then there's the guys down in the Sandhills....

Even though Philly-NYC-corridor guys have more representation, it's not too bad down here, either.  And we still get to play in winter.... ;D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 09:01:15 AM »
Have teed it up locally with two non-local GCAers, once at my club, once elsewhere.

Whoops.  Make that 3 times.  Forgot about when you were in town, Turboe!   :-[  Twice elsewhere, that is.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back