News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

Great finishing holes without greenside hazards
« on: February 23, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »
The annual playing of the LA Open always makes me wonder what other great courses have finishing holes without immediate greenside hazards (say within 20-30 yards of the green).  The only other that I can think of is the finisher at St. Andrews, though I don't know if it should count due to the close proximity of out-of-bounds.  I will concede that my exposure to the great courses is quite minimal compared with others on this board.  I couldn't find any other examples during a quick flip through my World Atlas.

What other great finishers don't use greenside hazards?  If there aren't many, why not?  ???, since it works so well at St. Andrews and Riviera.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Pete

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Great finishing holes without greenside hazards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »
Pete,

Stay tuned for Mike DeVries' new course at Marquette G&CC (Greywalls).

The 18th there is a long, downhill par 5 with a bunkerless green complex sitting in a previously flat, wide open area. It's a very creative concept, and a unique look too.

No one's played the hole yet, but I think it's going to work.

A brand new finisher without greenside hazards! Perhaps destined to be great? Time will tell.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »
This is trite but TOC.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 09:36:09 PM »
Pete,

I'm wondering if people really familiar with Riviera would agree with your premise that #18 doesn't have any greenside "hazards".

The few occasions I've been there strongly suggested to me that missing left leaves an awfully difficult recovery shot, something Mike Weir's great shot obscured.

Can't that grass get really nasty? Aren't the chances of getting up and down pretty small?

Tim
Tim Weiman

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »
Tim:

Your statement is the main reason for my post.  I am referring to a hazard in the literal sense (where you can't ground your club).  Most would agree that delicate chip shots like Mike Weir had on Sunday are as difficult (if not moreso) than a greenside bunker shot.  It is just so great to see a difficult green complex and surrounds without bunkering - I wish it was employed more often.  When the pressure is on a professional, it is easier to hit a bunker shot than a difficult chip since he can control the spin from sand with a harder swing.  

As I mentioned in my original post, St. Andrews is similar since a pitch from the Valley of Sin certainly holds more interest than a greenside bunker shot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 09:52:13 PM by Pete Buczkowski »

sonofalawyer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 10:10:02 PM »
i'm cheating here because this isn't a finishing hole, but my favorite "hazardless" green complex is the 16th at rustic.  the combination of the downhill second shot and that impossible to hold green, well, it's just awesome.  trying to pull the right club there really tests one's feel for that day's conditions.

James Edwards

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 05:23:31 AM »
Im sure that RT and NAF (real names Russell and Noel) will chime in on this one when they see the thread, but I'm happy to jump in before them!

Deal (Royal Cinque Ports - An Old Open Course) has a great shortish finisher with no greenside bunkering.  A large plateau falling on all sides and located some 100 yards from the nearest hazard which is a small burn crossing the entire fairway.
@EDI__ADI

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 08:46:49 AM »
Certainly, playing out of kikuyu requires adaptation. But isn't the KK dormant and laying down?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back