News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Osprey Valley Heathlands was designed 15 years ago by Doug Carrick.  The early years were rocky from an ownership point of view, but the course has consistently been in the top 25 in Canada.

The course has a north loop and a south loop surrounding what was to be the clubhouse. Regrettably the clubhouse was never built - all that remains is a derelict foundation.  For the first 12 years the course was operated out of the maintenance building at the south end of the property.  Consequently, play was started on the third hole.

Five years ago two more courses were built to the east of the Heathlands.  Eventually a new clubhouse was built between the two new courses and maybe 300 yards across a railway track from the old clubhouse foundation.  The management decided to start people on what was the eleventh hole which is about 200 yards closer than the intended first hole.

The path from the eleventh tee to the first tee skirts the tenth hole, a short par 3 across water and playing away from the path.

Recently new scorecards were printed reflecting the new starting point.  The new course plays as 37-34 nines at 3500-2900 yards.  The 18th is now a short par 3.

Whenever I can, I wander over to the original first and start there as the course flows so much more nicely the way it was designed.

The holes will always make it a very good course, but I can't help feel that the new ordering detracts from the course and the experience.  Is this just a small transgression or is it a major architectural going to hell mistake?

Tom Dunne

Played OVH a couple of summers ago and I know exactly what you mean. It's not really an architecture issue--the holes are there, they're just clearly not being played in the right order. It does provide an easy object lesson in what Mike DeVries calls the "rhythm and flow" of a routing, and how golfers can view the same hole in such a different light when it comes at the wrong time in the round.

OVH just doesn't have the rhythm right now, but their problem can be fixed simply by ordering up new scorecards and moving a few signs around. Not exactly the ninth circle of "architectural hell"... ;D

Bryan Izatt

No, probably not hell, but for the sake of a 200 yard walk why not start the course as intended.  It certainly messes with the rhythm and flow.  There, now I feel better, ;D although I think I'll still wander my way out to the old number one to start whenever I can.  

henrye

This is a wonderfully architected course created from very little and I agree that the hole sequence they have now detracts from the course.

I have no idea what the owner is thinking in terms of leaving the "derelict" foundations of the planned clubhouse, but I suspect there's very little thinking about golf going on.  He's probably just landbanking the entire property to sell off for housing in the next 10-20 years.  Last I heard he was planning a resort - that was 10 years ago.

Ian Andrew

I worked on all three courses.

The whole thing has always been a play toy for Jerry - and by the way it will never be houses. It was originally all a gravel operation that was not productive enough to be viable and the abandoned site was flat except the pond on 10.

Jerry has had multiple offers (particularly from clublink) from people who see the potential but has never sold - he doesn't need the money. There is still no siding on the pumphouse and the carts are stil stored outside in a compound. Osprey Valley will always be full of potential. I think it holds up well after repeated playings.

I agree - the extra 200 yards to the original opener is worth it to play it in order. There is a putting green still in among the fescue.

Bryan Izatt

Henry,

I doubt housing is in the future.  It's a long way from anywhere and I'd imagine zoning would be an issue.  Despite the derelict foundation (which they actually put a waterproof membrane on a couple of years ago) they have invested significantly in building the two newer courses and in building the new clubhouse.  This year they've been working on the road into the clubhouse (sure would be nice if they paved it).  And, the courses have always been well maintained even in the worst days.

Ian,

Thanks to you and the others that worked on these courses.  All three are excellent, in my books.  Arguably the best three course complex in Canada.  And for value for money, maybe anywhere.

Curious about the original state of the land.  Are you saying that the ponds on the east side of the 6th on the Hoot and 18 on the Toot are not natural.  Could have fooled me.  The pond on the short 8th on Heathlands was clearly man-made (last week it was a 15 foot deep dry hole).

Yeah, there are many unfinished pieces (which don't affect play in any way) but the maintenance of the courses has always been first rate.  A few years ago they had a lot of winter kill on some of the fairways on the Heathlands but they spent the time and effort to bring them back to first rate conditions.

And, yes, they still maintain the practise putting green by the old first.

Good thing that with three courses and still a lot of under-utilization that it's still often possible to play the course in order.  Here's hoping he doesn't ever sell to Clublink.  Too bad Jerry doesn't want to sell memberships.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back