News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

A golf technique question, semi-OT...
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
Can someone explain to me what the pros do differently to hit a 5 iron off the tee that flies 200 and rolls 40-50, versus hitting a 5 iron on a par 3 that flies 200 and, even on a really firm green, rolls about 10 yards?

Is it technique or course setup? Is the green just enough softer to allow less roll?

Thanks for any answers.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: A golf technique question, semi-OT...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
draw vs. cut?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »
It's primarily based on course conditions. If these guys could've hit balls that stopped within 10 yards at The Open, they would have.

Any shot with a higher trajectory will land a bit softer, assuming all else is equal. So yeah, a cut will land a bit softer than a draw. Likewise, they might push the ball back in their stance just a touch to get a lower, running trajectory if they want it. But the dramatic difference you see at Muirfield vs. Muirfield Village is mostly due to course conditions.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
I think that a lot of is playing the terrain. The Pros are so good they can hit irons into upslopes on the green and get bite. Then on their tee shots they just take a club into a flat area that bounces forever. I was at the practice round on Tuesday, and noticed this was happening.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back