News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nicholas Coppolo

Suggestions within an hour of Ft. Myers?
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
I'll be in SW Florida in March.  Are there any courses/clubs worth seeking out?  Or am I bound to play typical Florida golf.

Mitch Hantman

Re: Suggestions within an hour of Ft. Myers?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »
Try Old Corkscrew - it's very good

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
Calusa Pines is probably the best in the area, if you can gain access-it is in Naples. Also on the public side although not cheap, is Tiburon , a Norman design. Good luck , Jack

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
Agree that Calusa Pines is the best. Access is tough in the winter, easier in the summer.

Have not played Naples National, a JN course, supposed to be good for a better player only. Again, difficult to access.

Tiburon, I'd take a pass, expensive and overrated.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

scott_wood

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
Cary, both Calusa and Naples National were done by Hurzdan and Fry......

in many ways they are an interesting  contrast...
both courses and clubs are products of strong, "autocratic" leaders who had/have differing visions of what they wanted to create...

architecture well done at both, and both "fun"...

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »
I will be there in Naples in February (provided my company doesn't implode)....is Old Corkscrew a typical JN course or something a little different?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
Chip,  I found this course to be good but not great. As far as a typical JN course I thought it depended on the tees that you played. The back tees bring into play the hazards to a greater degree. I played it at about 6400 yds and it was very comfortable. The course was in good shape. I beleive I played there in Feb or Mar? If you can play Calusa Pines it is regarded by some as the best in FL. I haven't played Seminole yet so I can't comment . Have fun,    Jack

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »
I would also suggest Cupp's Old Orange at Verandah. Not your "typical Florida course." It has the look of the Carolinas.

Access is available through www.golfnow.com.

I haven't played Old Corkscrew but reviews have been favorable. It's also listed at golfnow.

www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews/florida/old-corkscrew-golf-club-southwest-florida-golf-6172.htm

Another course to consider is Venetian Golf & River Club, a "tribute" course by Chip Powell:

www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews/florida/venetian-golf-river-club-chip-powell-florida-golf-course-6178.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
I like Lochmoor.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »
Jay,
Why do you like Lochmore?

Lets hear what architectural features make it so good... I don't even know who designed the course; I'm asking.

(this is my asking you to post some facts--for once)

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
I guess you'll be calling and bugging Ran now right?   ;D

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
I'm in Naples now.  Played Old Orange yesterday, and booked at Old Corkscrew tomorrow.  Not sure about Old Orange having a Carolina look any more than any of the other courses around here.  Most all the courses are flat and have a similar look.  Lots of sand, water, and inpenetrable palmettos.  Have also played Raptor Bay which is interesting if you like inverted bowl greens and no formal bunkers, and Pelican Preserve, one of the WCI community courses (www.wcigolf.com).  You can get decent prices on most of these through the golfnow.com or lastminutegolfer.com websites.  I'd second the recommendation of Venetian Golf and River Club (another WCI community) with a really neat biarritz hole, although it's more than hour north of here in Naples.

If you're limited to public access courses, I thought that Old Corkscrew was the best of the bunch and most challenging.  The rest are all good (certainly for a snow-bound northerner), but not great.  Overall the conditioning on the courses is pretty good.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 02:12:52 AM »
Fiddlesticks Long Mean is largely typical florida golf but I really enjoy the course. I am not a big fan of the 2nd course there. They toughened their "Wee Friendly" course so it is tougher than the other one. It makes no sense for the membership.

Andy Silis

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »
The two best right around Ft. Myers for publics access are River Hall ( Love Design........VERY Firm and Fast.............Ross style bunkering and strategy ) and Old Corkscrew ( Nicklaus Signature Design.........New Nicklaus with more rugged natural style bunkering.....premier conditioning to boot ).

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »
another vote for Old Corkscrew.  My expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »
If it's the same Lochmoor I'm thinking of, I have an Uncle that lives on the 14th and that course as been under renovation for 3 years with no end in sight.....money issues.  I played it prior and really enjoyed it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »
If you got chased by an alligator and they taught you about, "running diagonally," and "zig-zagging", that's the one.

Richard Boult

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »
Try Old Corkscrew - it's very good

Second that!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »
The two best right around Ft. Myers for publics access are River Hall ( Love Design........VERY Firm and Fast.............Ross style bunkering and strategy ) and Old Corkscrew ( Nicklaus Signature Design.........New Nicklaus with more rugged natural style bunkering.....premier conditioning to boot ).

Hmmm...I seem to remember PLAYING those two courses with a certain club rep back in June...and have similar reactions to both.

You can't go wrong with either of those choices.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »
Hideout is excellent and I've always had a fondness for the five Bonita Bay courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back