News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Courses with the best Feng Shui
« on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
My short list would be: St. Andrews, National Golf Links of America, Cypress Point, Pinehurst No. 2, Swinley Forest, Royal Ashdown Forest, Jasper Park, Somerset Hills, and West Sussex.Maybe Golf Digest should add feng shui as a criteria??  

T_MacWood

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
RanI'm not as familiar with the principals of Feng Shui,as you obviously are Ran. It seems like its pretty much a California phenomenon, although may be starting to take a foot-hold in Australia with the help of men like yourself.With that being said, the closest I've gotten to state where all seemed right on the course was at Cypress Point. I was feeling a powerful current positiveness the entire day, when I stepped on the tee of the 16th, I then proceeded to swing so hard that I nearly wift, the ball went crashing into the rocks directly in front of the tee like a unhittable split finger fast ball. Ran you need to send some one out to that tee, maybe just moving the bench will increase Fung Shui.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
I am setting by a waterfall with a piece of bamboo through my nose as I type this, so your cheap digs can't upset my auspicious energy flow. (Nice, huh?)If we were to substitute the word "harmony" for fs, those would be my selections.

Sisters of Architecture

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Without a doubt: Shinnecock Hills. Played 36 there on a perfect warm fall day with a 15-20 mile breeze and then followed with adult beverages on the porch watching the sun set.Awesome.

John Sessions

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
My favorite links course is and will always be Royal St. Georges. The course is over a whopping three hundred acres and enjoys  great spaciousness/harmony. It is a very peaceful spot and never inundated with play.

Bob Ellington

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
I haven't been there but I am surprised that Ran has not used this opportunity to once again shamelessly plug the Plantation at Kapaula.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Bob, You are right - it probably has been a full three days since I last mentioned the mighty Plantation course. Maybe I should start a topic detailing how it is better than half the Open courses?Kapaula missed out here because any course that requires a golf cart suffers in the feng shui sweepstakes.

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
My list, most harmonious one, is as follows: Cypress Point, Sand Hills, Cape Breton, Eastward Ho!,Pinehurst No.2 and Sea ScapePraise Hadji!

Hadji

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Tom, Your developement through the course of the day is pleasing - as you appreciate, being open to change is very feng shui-oian.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Courses with the best Feng Shui
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
Cool old thread..

I'd agree with T MacWood about Cape Breton Highlands Links.  Really great melding of nature with golf in the mountains and the sea.    You really do flow up from the sea into the mountains and back to the sea.

Harmony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
Dan, or should I call you Harmony? (stripper name?)

I miss the days..a little bit anyway, that posters could come up with funny names to make funny retorts.....like Hadji did.

I think a course with good FS would have subtle doglegs......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
OK, maybe I have the definition of feng shui wrong but here's my opinion and I swear it's true.  I'm sharing something personal here in the spirit of seeing what the rest of you think, so play nice:):)

If I'm right, what you guys call feng shui, I call "The Vortex."  It's a rare but electrifying and inspiring feeling I get on not just a superlative golf course, but at a moment in time that dovetails with the course where the rest of the world and all my cares just vanish and I am at peace on the course.  It's a terrific natural high for both mind and body: intoxicating yet you can concentrate on playing, energizing you so much that your reserve tanks kick in, and making you feel a peace of mind that dominates the entire experience.  I know some people don't believe in the spiritual side and I'm not usually a hippie freak, but as a former professional musician and a yoga junkie, I can attest to how the body can be trained.  (Lloyd, a musical example was that every time we closed the show with the Rolling Stones's "Loving Cup," my adrenaline kicked into overdrive, I  "played purely on feel and rhythm," and sang like they were outlawing music the next day.  I "sang to the rafters" if you get my drift.  It was always powerful and I had to calm down for several minutes after we left the stage.  Lloyd, does that happen to you?)

Sitting here right now, two golf occasions come to mind.

1.  The first time I played Bulls Bay, in the Dixie Cup, with Mike Christenson and a third whose name escapes me right now.  It happened out on the 4th and 5th, the holes near the waterway.  My body just felt an electrical charge that gave me both physical and spiritual energy.  Maybe it was a subconscious thing of revering Mike Strantz, playing that fascinating and beautiful course, seeing his portrait in the clubhouse, or "feeling the love" that all Bulls Bay members have, but Mike C will tell you, my soul was at peace that day and I would have beaten any opponent.

2.  In October of 2006, I played Arcadia Bluffs in the morning and played Crystal Downs with Doak in the afternoon and interviewed him later.  I arrived at AB at the start of a glorious sunrise: black, then blue, then purple, then daybreak.  I was floored by the course and decided that I'll propose to my future wife on the 11th green.  I had the entire course to myself and saw one other foursome all morning.  It was solace, peace, thinking-mans golf, beauty, and exercise all in one.  The Vortex just invigorated me.

That afternoon, I met Doak for the first time and was a nervous wreck.  Tom, did I seem nervous?  Remember where I hit me tee ball on one?  It was as far left as Mickelson's tee shot on 18 at Winged Foot in 2006.  I didn't feel The Vortex with you because I was nervous and we had business, plus I had time to "wind down," but I still had a helluva time.  That was still the greatest 36 of my life, better than my days at Bandon.

So I guess it's not only the course, but the circumstances and the mindset.  I don't go looking for The Vortex.  I don't think you can "call it up."  It chooses you.  It's more than just a serene round, its a physical manifestation of incredible spiritual energy.  You can't go looking for it or expect it.  Even though I saw the first hole-in-one at Ballyneal, drained a 100-foot putt on 8 and had the time of my life with my stalwart playing partners, but still the mythical turbo-boost didn't kick in and I wasn't looking for it.

The only time where I half-expected it and it occurred was at Monterey Peninsula CC Shore Course, which I played the day Mike Strantz died.  That was moving, powerful, and bittersweet.  Maybe a bit kicked in when I stood over Perry Maxwell's grave at Dornick Hills.  That was overwhelming.

So for courses:  Bulls Bay, Arcadia, MPCC, Tobacco Road, Oakmont, Black Mesa...maybe more...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:03:02 PM by Jay Flemma »

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »
NGLA & North Berwick just ooze the spirit of golf to me. Oh, and Sheep Ranch.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 07:19:07 AM »
I think it would have to be courses with lots of doglegs as evil spirits can travel only in straight lines.  So: Winged Foot, Burning Tree, and Royal Melbourne.

Maybe this one, too:

But it needs all the help it can get; the holes play through family graves!

Mark

PS I think for good feng shui we need to play from the red tees.  Red, a very auspicious color...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:31:42 AM by Mark Bourgeois »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 08:13:19 AM »
The only thing I know about Feng Shui is that our marital bed sits at a 45 degree angle in our bedroom.  What's up with that?

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:15:34 AM »
Do you guys ever wonder if you aren't getting just a teensy bit too close to your subject?

What next? 'Course most fantasised about during mediocre lovemaking'?

Oh no, what have I started...?

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »
There are some very good ones already listed but for me it's always been Maidstone. At times I've almost felt and heard the "generations" about around that place. It was particularly powerful one evening when I was on the upstairs patio at the back of the clubhouse looking out over the spires of the beach club below and the ocean beyond. It brought tears to my eyes which was a bit inconvenient because one does not want to walk back inside the clubhouse to the dance with tears streaming down one's face! Or does one?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:11:30 AM by TEPaul »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
Tom, it all depends on WHAT clubhouse you're walking back to.

Thanks for the great stories. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
Chicago Golf.  There's something about stepping from the paved parking lot under the roof between the clubhouse and the pro shop that makes you feel as if you've stepped back in time.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
I hate to break it to you guys, but Tom Fazio is probably the feng shui master of golf design.
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jkinney

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
What a Hobson's choice ! It's only possible for me to rate the best Feng Shui by types of land on which the courses sit. So here they are:

LINKSLAND - The Old Course, with NGLA (even though it's my favorite spot in the world) a
                        close second

PARKLAND -  Augusta, with LACC North a close second

FARM & RANCH - Sand Hills, with Ballyneal a close second

DESERT - Stone Eagle, with no other even close

RUGGED COAST LAND - Cypress, with Pacific Dunes second.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »
San Francisco Golf Club reeks golf, historic golf, nothing more.  Every hole has a special feel.

Dan King

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
I'm not entirely sure if Lincoln Park has a positive or negative feng shui. I've always had very positive feelings playing Lincoln Park, but the fact it is on top of a former Chinese burial site is just as likely to cause negative feng shui as positive.

Cheers,
Dan King
From the tee at the par-three seventeenth, you don't think of the oval green 234 yards away, puckering a bit like a temptress; the only thing on your mind is the landmark that dominates the horizon to the east of the tee box, the Golden Gate Bridge, looming in the distance, stately and still -- a huge, mute, inanimate member of the gallery, rigid and tense in anticipation of shots to come.
 --Bo Links

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
good choices, jkinney!

I'd also add Pine Valley.  The transformation between the drive past Clementon Park up past the "Town Hall" to the golf course is truly an amazing experience.   I've only waked PV, but have done so three times, and each time was very special.

Here's a question - do you experience Jay's "Vortex" effect at your home club/course?   

jkinney

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »
Dan,
  I do experience Jay's "vortex" every time I drive through the McDonald Gate at NGLA. I feel as though I'm leaving the real world and entering what I call "The Magic Kingdom". I'm convinced there's an invisible protective shroud enveloping the ground and protecting it from evil spirits. I sense this more every year. I suspect Crenshaw sensed something like it too when he told me he thought The National was the greatest golfing ground in the world.
  Pine Valley leads the pack for a category I'd call SCRUBLAND/PINE BARRENS. Walton Heath leads HEATHLAND for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back