News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ed Tilley

Hickories at Deal - link to Times article
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:32:15 AM »
Interesting article in the Times today - playing Deal in old clothes with old equipment.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/golf/article2896849.ece

Noel Freeman

Re:Hickories at Deal - link to Times article
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:12 AM »
Andrew Reynolds the head pro at Deal is the best hickory player in the UK.. Ran played there with me 3 years ago with his hickories and fell in love and got crushed by the course- That said, if he tells the tale, he shot 65 and George Duncan's ghost came out and gave him the Open Championship trophy.

The author wrote this which bothered me:
Now, though, the club is looking to the future while revelling in its past. Changes are bringing it up to modern standards and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Open might return there one day. The Great Triumvirate would certainly approve.

Deal was already up to modern standards when I first played it in 2000 and that is one of the main reasons I became a member.. Was it up to hosting an Open Championship, that is a fair question.  I think it easiy can with the modifications done by Martin Ebert, but I'm hoping for the ryder cup instead.

There will be eventually, a limited engagement- Tucofest after my alterego at Deal.  Hickories may be available for that day.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:25:36 AM by Noel Freeman »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:24:03 AM »
Great article Ed thanks.

Playing with hickories on a firm running links is an experience no keen golfer should miss.

There may stillbe those on here who don’t know that our own Alfie Ward offers this same service in Scotland.  It’s an experience no keen golfer should miss.  IN addition Alfie makes his own balls and you can experience the low flight, bound and roll.

You can contact Alfie on     alfie@fernie55.freeserve.co.uk

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewward.html

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:44:39 AM »
Great article Ed thanks.

Playing with hickories on a firm running links is an experience no keen golfer should miss.

There may stillbe those on here who don’t know that our own Alfie Ward offers this same service in Scotland.  It’s an experience no keen golfer should miss.  IN addition Alfie makes his own balls and you can experience the low flight, bound and roll.

You can contact Alfie on     alfie@fernie55.freeserve.co.uk

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewward.html

tony, i'm well aware that you directed me to alfie earlier this year and i haven't updated you... i still mean to contact him for our visit to east lothian in june '08...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »
Noel - I hope you meant Walker and not Ryder when you expressed which compo you'd like at Deal!

I hope the learned Times reporter was referring to the new clubhouse work and state of the art greens keeping equipment when he talks of achieving modern stardards. The course refurbishment is largely subtle changing to bunker alignment, refurbished tees, expanding of some greens to allow for new pin placements, the loss of very short cross bunkers and the odd new bunker to catch the titanium & Pro V era drives.

The hickory days offer the player the full on experience including a hickory lesson, golf, clothing of the period and a meal similar to those served on the Titanic!
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Policano

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I just started playing with hickories on a fast and firm course. It is a blast. My friends and I are also surprise how far the ball will go on the ground.

So after hunting down lefty hickory clubs, thank you Tad Moore, I am now on a mission to find old balatas to play.

Cheers

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »

The hickory days offer the player the full on experience including a hickory lesson, golf, clothing of the period and a meal similar to those served on the Titanic!

Mark, have you heard Danny Baker? Instead of 'Carpe Diem' his call to arms is; "Records show that were passengers on the Titanic who waved away the desert trolley".

Golf, plus fours and a hearty meal? Yes please ;D.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:27:04 PM »
So after hunting down lefty hickory clubs, thank you Tad Moore, I am now on a mission to find old balatas to play.

Mike - I am also a lefty and didn't realize that hickories were available for the sinister player! I'm going to Tad Moore's website post haste! Thanks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:38:01 PM »
Mike (at the risk of becoming boring (long since passed)) Alfie has a 'Sinister' set.

Tony

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:55:55 AM »

Mike - I am also a lefty and didn't realize that hickories were available for the sinister player! I'm going to Tad Moore's website post haste! Thanks!

Mike
As per Tony's response Alfie does have a lefty hickory set which I can thoroughly recommend!

Alfie did tell me that he thought the lefty set was a better balanced set than his other sets.  Give it a try if you are ever in the East Lothian area - its great fun!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Craig Disher

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
Note the bi-pod holding up Alfie's bag. Are they available commercially?

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
Good article Ed. Of course I am biased !

And my apologies for apparently hi-jacking your thread, courtesy of a few friends ! ::)

Lefties ? Yes I did say that I thought that my lefty set were much better balanced, Andrew. Not that I would REALLY know, mind you ! It continues to amaze me how competent some people are at playing golf the wrong way round. "Erse fur elby", as we would say in Scotland.

Craig,

The cane stand in Andrew's pic are not available commercially, as you ask. But they are available if you happen to take ten minutes to make one. I pinched the idea off my mate Chris (Hickory) Homer who uses them with 'his' sets of hickories.
What you need is two pieces of bog standard cane,
a small piece of string,
and a split pin.
Add a wee bit of gumption to put it together - and away you go. (Patent pending)

Tip : don't try to use it to support your bag of modern scrap metal. If you do require one for such a purpose, then just substitute the cane for two 6" H-beams and a bolt.  ;)

Tony,

How much do I owe you now ? For those who are unaware - Tony can supply you with any kind of pot plant you can imagine ; garden furniture of the very highest quality and durability ; trees 1' - 100feet high ; fertilisers to suit every putting lawn ; gnomes, fish for ponds and much more besides.
Delivery free within 3000 mile radius.

thanks mate - we're quits ! ;D

Alfie.

Craig Disher

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »

Craig,

The cane stand in Andrew's pic are not available commercially, as you ask. But they are available if you happen to take ten minutes to make one. I pinched the idea off my mate Chris (Hickory) Homer who uses them with 'his' sets of hickories.
What you need is two pieces of bog standard cane,
a small piece of string,
and a split pin.
Add a wee bit of gumption to put it together - and away you go. (Patent pending)

Tip : don't try to use it to support your bag of modern scrap metal. If you do require one for such a purpose, then just substitute the cane for two 6" H-beams and a bolt.  ;)

Alfie.

CANE!!! I thought it would be easy to put together but got stuck on the correct material for the braces. I'll spend a few days this winter trying to assemble it correctly.  ;)  Thanks.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
If you want authentic repro balls for 1910-1930 clubs check:
http://www.hickorygolf.com/pages/ForSale.html
Chris has done a wonderful job with these.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:16:28 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Policano

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »
Ralph,

Thanks for the tip on the golf balls. Looks good for my holiday gift list.

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back