News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David Stamm

RTJ and executive courses
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
I just played a course yesterday that I've wanted to play for a long time in my neck of the woods, Tecolote Canyon. Sorry, I'll take pics next time as I forgot my camera. :-[ I rarley find myself in that area of the city so I had some time and played it and it was alot of fun. It was designed by RTJ and Sam Snead. There are some pretty pedestrian holes but some really good ones as well. Conditions were pretty good. Has anybody heard of RTJ doing other execs?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Kelly

Re:RTJ and executive courses
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:35:44 PM »
There used to be a "children's course" at Hazeltine, between the sharp-dogleg-left opening hole and the sharp-dogleg-left 9th hole.

It was eliminated when Rees J. took the doglegs out of those holes.

I don't know if RTJ designed the children's course.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:44:17 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »
David there was one at Celtic Manor resort but it's gone

http://www.celtic-manor.com/The_Montgomerie_Course.aspx

Was a lot of fun with 300 yard down hill par 4's where the ground funnelled a ball forward out of sight.  A par 3 with a huge drop.   However it was really designed for carts and for a chance to play a second 18 after a long slog around the main course.  I guess this means that they now don't expect anyone to be able to play 36 in a day.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »
This is an enjoyable RTJ Sr.  course on an island that has 11 or 12 holes.  Many of the greens have 2 flags and the holes play pretty differently depending on whether it is your front or the back nine.

http://www.madelineislandgolf.com

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
There used to be one in Fort Lauderdale, FL as well that I played when my grandparents used to live there on spring break trips. I believe it is long gone as well, but was called American Golfers Club. Had a pitch and putt par three course as well that was great fun for a little guy!

Robert_Ball

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »
David, 30 minutes up I-15 you'll find another RTJ/Snead executive at Colton GC.  And it's lighted, for those late night practice rounds!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »
Theres a RTJ executive course in Bermuda - St George Golf Course - http://www.stgeorgesgolf.bm/

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:19:59 AM »
Mr. Jones did a bunch beginning in the 1960s and through the 1970s. RTJ2 (Jr.) told me that one of his first assignments was El Dorado Hills (18 Exec) in about 1962. El Dorado closed at the beginning of 2007 because the developer could not continue to make it profitable. It remains closed north of Sacremento. We helped complete a study for the local municipality to see if they could make it work — answer: Probably not...at least not without a lot of $$$ and commitment.

I am not sure the number, but I have heard that as many as 20-30 were created during this period.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jason Connor

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 12:33:04 PM »
I'm sure by then he didn't truly design them, but a number of sites on Alabama's Jones Trail have par 3 courses.  

Grand National in fact has an 18-hole par 3 course.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »
Mr. Jones did a bunch beginning in the 1960s and through the 1970s. RTJ2 (Jr.) told me that one of his first assignments was El Dorado Hills (18 Exec) in about 1962. El Dorado closed at the beginning of 2007 because the developer could not continue to make it profitable. It remains closed north of Sacremento. We helped complete a study for the local municipality to see if they could make it work — answer: Probably not...at least not without a lot of $$$ and commitment.
I am not sure the number, but I have heard that as many as 20-30 were created during this period.

One of the courses I learned to play on was Eldorado Hills. It was a great executive course, par 61, eighteen holes on hilly rolling terain with multiple elevated tee par threes and great greens. It is a shame that the county couldn't make it work. We played out highschool matches on that course and noone ever came close to breaking par, very challenging, even the short par 4-5 holes.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
Tim — It is a tough layout. Too tough if you ask me!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »
Either father or son, or some combination, was involved with the Executive Course up at Incline Village, Nevada.  When we lived there, I always found it a pretty enjoyable alternative to playing the main track.  It is this type of course I wish I made more of an effort to play now that my iron play has disintegrated, as there were quite a variety of par-3's, and even 4 par-4's thrown in to give one a chance to hit a few drivers if one wished.

I don't know if they still call it the Executive Course, as I bet they have some high-falutin' name for it now, like "The Aerie at Diamond Peak at Incline" on something...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back