News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Aerials - Other Adelaide courses
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:36:54 PM »
I've attached photo's of three Adelaide sand-belt clubs.

Kooyonga was hosting the Jacobs Creek (SA Open) at this time (presumably February 2003 or 2004).  The course is always presented at a high level, and the fairway striping is quite visible at this time.

Glenelg Golf Club is also set out, about 2 kilomteres south of Kooyonga.  Some changes have occurred here since the photo (the first at the bottom right is remodelled, and holes 12, 13, 15 and 16 have been extended/realigned (hole 16 has been rotated 180 degress since this photo).  These holes are at the right of the picture.  Note the colour of the local sand.  The brightly coloured centre of the picture is where the principal sand hill is.

The Grange is co-hosting the Eisenhower Cup in 2008 with Royal Adelaide on the West Course (the older of the two).  The East course is about 40 years old.  The East and West are hosting the ladies Espirito Santo in 2008 as well.  Much work is occuring at this Club in preparation for these events.

I have also included my home course - Blackwood.  It is a tight course on a smaller and difficult parcel of land.  The course on the left side is more open nowwith three holes added  (albeit in a different style) in the paddock on the extremity, enabling some reduction in congestion in the nearby holes.  On such a parcel of land, there is not any ability to push tees back for distance issues - we are on the edge of boundaries and adjacent holes from day one. We are what we are, and will continue to be.  But it is my favourite spot.

Kooyonga

Glenelg

Grange

Blackwood

James B
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:17:37 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

redanman

Re:Aerials - Other Adelaide courses
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »
Nice to see such judicious use of bunkering.  Thanks.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 01:15:43 PM »
James,
   What is all that empty land above Glenelg? And what is the round area in the Blackwood picture below right center? What are the main attributes of the various courses you have posted?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »
Ed

that is the airport.  Kooyonga is to the north, and Glenelg to the south.  The only airport closer to the city that I know of would be MacCarron in Vegas, and the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong.  In Adelaide, 15 minutes and you are in the 'City'.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back