News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Dinkmeyer

Ireland - Club Memberships?
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:51:54 AM »
I hope this is appropriate for the board. I have been to Ireland and N. Ireland the past 3 years, including last month, and have become smitten with the courses, people, and scenery. Now if we can get the Euro to drop a bit(!)

What experiences have you had with foreign memberships at clubs such as Lahinch, Ballybunion? I am told by a reliable source that foreign members play, on average, twice a year. This would make annual fees cost-ineffective. My hope is to "camp out" for two weeks at a site such as Doolin (near Lahinch), and play frequently at a specific club.

If you've done this, has it worked - for you?
All opinions welcome, thanks!

David_Tepper

Re:Ireland - Club Memberships?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
Dan-

I think your idea is a very good one. It is certainly cost effective to join a foreign club as a non-resident or "Country" member and play their extensively over a one or two week period. It is also fun to play the same course regularly for a number of days as you pick up a lot of local knowledge and experience the course under different weather conditions. At the moment, I am such a member at two clubs in the Scottish Highlands.

Combined, my annual dues are not much more than one might pay for one month's dues at a club in the U.S.

With regards to Ballybunion and Lahinch, the best thing to do is contact the club secretary directly at each club and ask them about what non-resident memberships are available.  I played both course over 20 years ago. At that time, they were looking for members. My guess is that things have tightened up and gotten much more expensive in the past 5 or 10 years.

DT

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:20:19 PM »
David,

Thank you for the perspective. I am told Lahinch may be 500-600 per year, but i am not sure of the initiation fee. I think their rate is 135/round, so it doesnt take long to break "even".

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 01:14:20 PM »
Don,

I'd be happy to discuss the situation with respect to Ballybunion offline. Just email me with your phone# and best time to call.

That aside, what David Tepper suggests is correct. Things have changed alot since the late 80's/early 90's.

My email address is: tweiman@aol.com
Tim Weiman

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 01:40:20 PM »
My advice would be to join Lahinch, if you could. I will be joining if they ever open up membership again.

Anyway, otherwise - http://www.carnegolflinks.com/E-Forms/
specialOffers.php?Item=Overseas%20Life%20Membership%20for%203500%20euro.

There's more to do in Co. Clare, though. Doolin is a great spot.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back