News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Golf's Golden Age
« on: August 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Everyone talks about golf's architecture's golden age in the 1920s - that's fine, no problems.From a playing point of view, I suggest golf's golden age was in the 1950s before1. technology took over2. yardage books/markers took over3. caddies were intregral to the game, as was walking4. people were less obsessed by maintenance5. Merion was good enough for the US Open6. Jones &Co. hadn't diverted architecture off course.7. A round was under four hoursAny thoughts?

Bob Ellington

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I agree and said as much in an earlier post re: technology taking the fun out of golf. The most interesting thing is that (except for the Jones point) they are all things that are controllable.  Nothing has been irrevocably lost and that way of thinking/playing could be brought back.

Tony Dowling

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
You forgot a big point - metal headed "woods". I wish the R&A would outlaw them. The game lost some charm when the woods were replaced by Pittsburgh persimmon. I miss hunting around for old classic drivers.

Tom Naccarato

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more with you on the Jones and Company diversion. Never has there been a family that screwed up the game more.But once you all see Geoff Shackelford's new book, "The Golden Age of Golf Course Architecture" you will unmistakably know that Golf's Golden Age was in the first 35 years of the century, at least in American terms.

Ran Morrissett

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Tom,Do you have a copy in your hands yet? Amazon is still registering as not shipping? Ugh! Geoff has been kind enough to do the next interview at this site and we look forward to grilling him on it.

Craig

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
We just got word from Geoff that it has been printed and shipped so it should be in Amazon and Barnes and Noble's hands this week.

Tom Naccarato

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ran,Just as Craig mentions, it should be arriving any minute to your doorstep.I'm fortunate enough to say I have drooled over Geoff's own copy over a cup of coffee at Starbucks. The manager of Starbucks had to come over to me four times to quiet me down!The book will be one of the great ones anyone MUST have for their own personal collection.

Peter Thomson

Golf's Golden Age
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ah, yes, there was no better time for championship golf than the fifties, when I finished first or second in the Open Championship seven years in a row, simply by virtue of showing up.Then again, I missed out on some of those storied USPGA Championships -- Turnesa at Big Spring CC, Burkemo at Birmingham CC, Chick Harbert at Keller, Lionel Hebert at Miami Valley CC, Finsterwald at Llanerch.  How can you pick a favorite?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back