News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

C words of the 1960's
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »
Course modernization, course beautification, cart path pavement...

If you belong to an old dead guy course, and have a few hours to kill, ask for the opportunity to read your club's minutes from the early 60's...I did it today and almost got sick!

It started in 1959 when we  created a Course Modernization Committee, hired Wm Gordon, and started taking out bunkers, including every one that was behind a green, flattened some greens, and reduced the size of the remaining bunkers and put in sand faces.

In 1962 we allocated $700 to buy 1400 white pines at 50 cents each, it was included in the minutes under Course Beautification.

And to top it off, it seemed  like every month we approved another new cart path.

I know many courses did the same thing. Just kind of hard to read, you know?

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

Re:C words of the 1960's
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »
Bill,

I'm familiar with the pattern.

The question is, is it alive and well, disquised as other pursuits

Bill Brightly

Re:C words of the 1960's
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
Gee, I sure hope not! "Tree work" now means tree removal...the beautification comes from the great views that have opened up. Drainage work does more for cart access than macadem, and restoration has replaced modernization.

I'm not sure what "sins" we might be committing now. Adding some length? I can live with a few new black tees, especially when it brings the original bunkers back into play for the longer hitters, and lets  the rest of the membership be challenged by the same bunkers from the whites.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back