News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:45 AM »
Agree with Tom and Sean.  Yet another avoidable course, alas.....

Of course, if it snows in Astoria, great place for a half-pipe event....... ;)

Pete_Pittock

Re: Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
Was at Astoria today for the first time since a severe winter windstorm took out about 80-90% of the shore pines which guarded the fairways. Maybe 10-20% have been repalced. It has really been opened up, which to me takes some of the fun out of the course. You had to work the ball to counter the effects of the wind and some-side sloped fairways, jst to keep the ball in the fairway and avoid the shore pines. If you got in them it was a 1/2 stroke loss. Plus the firm and fast condtions and short rough exacerbated the problems.

Today it was wall to wall green, no brown or dry spots. 2"+ sticky rough. It didn't play like a links course. Crampons needed because the ball seldom came all the way down off the dunes slopes because of high grass.

Garland Bayley

Re: Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
Pete,

I much prefer Astoria without the trees. I find it very discouraging to hear that they are replanting. Would you have them go to TOC and plant trees. Astoria already has great vertical hazards in the Sand Dunes. They don't need to be adding trees IMO.

Furthermore, they plant trees in a line to separate fairways. No less a writer than Alister MacKenzie railed against such a practice.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back