News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« on: July 02, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I am trying to stop in Bandon Dunes this December on the way to North Carolina. Is Astoria GC worth the detour? Brad Klein raves about it in Rough Meditations and his tips always seem on the mark to me. Has anyone else played it and is Bandon as good as all the pictures?

JohnV

Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Yes, Astoria is worth a visit if you are coming all the way to Oregon.  I love the course as it is old and funky and plays through the dunes.  It is in the mode of Cruden Bay, Macranhanish and other old fashioned, break the rules kind of courses.  I risk over-rating it, but it is the same kind of course that you could play all the time and never get bored.  There is a picture of the 3rd hole, along with my description of Bandon Dunes and some pictures I took at my home page: http://home.att.net/~johnborght Bandon Dunes is better than the pictures.  It is absolutely fabulous.All that being said, December is a pretty brutal time to be playing golf on the Oregon Coast.  Bring a lot of warm and waterproof gear with you.

Ran Morrissett

Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Everybody should go to John V's website above - the pictures contained in it of Bandon Dunes are simply amazing.Does Bandon drain well? I am happy to play in the December cold assuming the course won't be water logged. If it is built on sand, we should be OK?Also, is that picture of Astoria indicative of the rest of the course? The land looks to good to be true, even if the cart path is a disaster. How far in driving time are Astoria and BD from each other?

Ran Morrissett

Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Everybody should go to John V's website above - the pictures contained in it of Bandon Dunes are simply amazing.Does Bandon drain well? I am happy to play in the December cold assuming the course won't be water logged. If it is built on sand, we should be OK?Also, is that picture of Astoria indicative of the rest of the course? The land looks to good to be true, even if the cart path is a disaster. How far in driving time are Astoria and BD from each other?

JohnV

Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
It is 254 miles from Warrenton (where Astoria Country Club is) to Bandon.  It would take a good 6 to 7 hours to drive as it is mostly 2 lane highway that goes through lots of small towns.  Also, since the weather at that can be bad, you might even get some icy spots on the higher climbs over the capes that dot the Oregon coast.  The drive out from Portland to Astoria can be quite snowy as you do climb to almost 1500 feet on the way.The 3rd hole, that is pictured, is definitely the most funky hole on the course, but there are at least 4 others that play between dunes like this with wider fairways.  It is a par 4 of about 280 yards.  At least the cart path isn't paved, just gravel.Another interesting hole is the 115 yard 10th that runs south along the top of a dune with drop offs on both sides.  In December, it will probably be right into the wind so you might need a little more club (or use your putter.)In general the dunes run north/south and the holes run in between them, although a couple of holes (2 and 8) are short par 4s that go from one dune across a valley up another.  There are two natural lakes that are in play for one hole each on the front side, other than that, all the water you get is still in motion from above.In October when we were at Bandon doing the course rating, we had a huge rain storm the second day.  When we went back out the next morning, the course was very dry.  I would say it should drain very well.

Joel_Stewart

Re:Bandon Dunes and Astoria
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
From 1999, I was wondering how this trip turned out and how was Astoria?   Also, is that course in Bandon any good?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 11:13:10 PM »
I notice Ran and John are the only two to have posted on it.  This was back when there were probably only about 4 of us on here.  I was trying to remember when I started lurking around here.  Probably about that time frame.  I see I am listed as registering in 2001, but I know I had been on here quite a while before that.  I dont know if I just never registered until later or what.

Pretty cool.  How the heck did you find this thread?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 11:15:33 PM by Daryl K. Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:13:06 AM »
Daryl,

Many of us have the same registration data as late 2001, which is when the DG changed formats to the current one and we all had to re-register.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
There is a plaque there to the member that found the course routed from dune to dune ,that is the tee on one dune and the green on another with the fairway in the valley in between ;and proceeded to hole by hole change the course to the present configuration with the holes often playing between two dunes with tees, fairway and greens on the same level.As I said it's one of a kind. GO!
Yancey

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 10:55:54 PM »
Ran I find Pacific Dunes to be all we say it is and then some. I like Bandon Dunes and will play it each trip but it is not in the same class to me. Pacific Dunes is one of the great modern courses in the world IMHO. I told Tom as such on here and in person when there were only 11 holes completed. I felt and told him it was a company maker as well. You could see the greatness even then. I am a fan in the way people speak of Rye or Dornoch.

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 12:53:13 AM »
I am trying to stop in Bandon Dunes this December on the way to North Carolina.

Forget the age of the post, from where was Ran coming from that you would stop in Bandon on the way to NC?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »
Mike,
At that time, Ran was living down in Australia, which was actually the founding home of Golf Club Atlas. In fact, the longtime host of GCA, Site Suite is actually in Sydney, where Ran was living downunda.

He in fact didn't make that trip to Bandon, instead opting to come to Los Angeles where after playing Bel Air with Mike Miller and Eddie Merrins; Later that night Geoff Shackelford, Eric Shortz, Mike Miller, Ran and myself got together and met for a really expensive dinner at Il' Moro, a really cool EYETALIAN restaurant in Santa Monica.

We also had an outdoor table right next to Barry Levinson, the movie director. Both he and I talked seriously about a 5 picture-deal, but, I'm still holding out. He's just not offering enough! 8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 02:25:17 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 10:04:13 PM »
Dug this thread out of the archives to post a few photos from Astoria G&CC that I took Saturday morning.  Astoria gets discussed on here now and then, but not too many from outside the region have played it due to its somewhat remote location on the north Oregon coast.  That's too bad, as it's a wonderfully quirky course.  It was on Golfweek's Top 100 Classical in the past, and Brad has a whole chapter on the course in his Rough Meditations book, but even so I'd still very much call it a hidden gem.

While the course is back from the ocean by a half mile or so, its dominated by the massive parallel dunes.  The majority of these holes run north south between the dune ridges, with the par 3 4th playing to the NW, and three holes at the north end of the property (2, 8, 17) running east-west.  Link to Google satellite photo.  

#3 - 378 yard par 4.  A very claustrophobic feeling on the tee, with an iron being a wise choice.   Cart path looks downright aweful, but there's not much alternative given the steepness of the dunes and the heavy amount of rain the area gets.

Same hole, but from above the green looking back towards the tee.

And again, but from behind the green, showing the steepness of the dunes.  Depending on the length of the grass, sometimes an errant ball will kick back down, sometimes not.

#6 - 308 yard par 4.  A very cool hole.  Trying to drive the green here requires you to flirt with the slope of the dune coming down from the right.  A very tricky second shot if you miss the fairway right.

#8 - 360 yard par 4.  One of the three east-west holes on the NE corner of the property that lack the huge dunes elsewhere on the course.

#14 - 444 yard par 4.

Same hole, looking back towards the tee.

#15 - 269 yard par 4 or 190 yard par 3.  Interestingly, the back tees play this as a par 3, while the forward tees play it as a 4.  Very cool greensite tucked in the dunes.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:45:52 AM by Mike_Erdmann »

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »
thanks for posting Mike...I love quirky!

I'll be in the area in July and hope to play there
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Evan_Green

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 10:17:26 PM »
Thanks very much for those great pics Mike. Its definately on my must see list.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:10:59 PM by Evan_Green »

Pat Howard

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 10:49:15 PM »
Anyone know about outside play on Astoria G&CC? I live in the Seattle area and have heard much about the course, but I'd hate to make the trip down there and be turned away.

And thanks for the photo's Mike, looks very interesting to say the least!

Jay Cox

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 11:08:56 PM »
Wow!  
I think Astoria might be relevant to the earlier conversation about whether there is anything new in gca.  #3 especially looks nothing like any other hole I've ever seen, and #s 6 and 15 look fairly unique as well.

As someone with an unhealthy appreciation for quirk, I'd love to try it.  Thanks for posting the pictures and descriptions, Mike!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 12:28:30 AM »
Nice pictures.  On number 3, putter looks like the wise choice off the tee.  

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50:53 AM »
Was it Miller Barber who said Astoria was the only course he had ever played where you had to walk down the center of the fairway.......single file! ::)

peter_p

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 02:19:07 AM »
Astoria is private but very welcoming to members of other private clubs. Have your pro contact them.

It is #5 which is the NW facing par 3.

Evan_Green

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 02:30:19 AM »
Nice pictures.  On number 3, putter looks like the wise choice off the tee.  

Doesn't it though?!  ;D

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 06:46:49 AM »
Thanks Peter, I did have it wrong.  But it's actually the 4th hole that runs NW.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »
Wow, I have a new nominee for "worst cart path anywhere".

Hate to say so, but the course doesn't look as interesting as I have always heard.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:30 AM »
That cart path is a shocker!  Do any of the holes traverse these ridges?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »
The cart path is not good, but the course looks great. John Strawn was pitching Astoria to me 10 years ago now and I just have to get there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back