News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Ward

What in the world is "kummel"?
« on: July 01, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Does anyone know what kummel is? I thought it was a sausage but apparently it is something the Brits drink on a cold day out on the links?

JohnV

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Kummel is a strongly flavored liquer.  I've heard that over 50% of the Kummel in the world is consumed at Prestwick.Here is a recipe if you want to make your own:KummelIngredients2 Tbl. Caraway seeds 1 1/2 tsp. Anise seeds 1 tsp. Fennel seeds 1 tsp. Angelica root (crushed) 2 Cloves 3/4 tsp. Cumin 1 pinch Pepper 24 oz. Vodka (80 proof) 1 tsp. Glycerine 1 cup Granulated sugar 1/2 cup Distilled water DirectionsCombine spices, seasonings, and vodka in a large glass jar. Put jar in a cool, dark place, and allow to steep for three weeks.Strain and filter alcohol mixture. Add the glycerine.In a scrupulously clean pan, boil the water. Add the sugar, stirring rapidly. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Allow the sugar syrup to return to room temperature.Add the syrup to the alcohol mixture. Store in a tightly capped glass bottle. The liqueur is better when aged for 3 or more months.

Robert Ward

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks - talk about a reply! However, I don't know whether that sounds good or not but I guess the vodka would keep you moving along regardless of the weather. Have you ever had it?

In Search of Lubricants

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
Can't you buy this stuff?  What is the preferred brand?

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
Is that about 1/6th distinct from Kimmel?

kangilly

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
In search of:You can find at better liquor stores near you! I don't think you will find at your local packy. As far as brand names go, I don't think you find much of a selection. According to a liquor encyclopedia I have, Wolfsmidt is the leading producer.Your health,Keith

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
Kummel is, or at least used to be (times change) the apres-links drink of choice at the poshest clubs in Scotland (e.g. Muirfield, R&A, Prestwick, Elie, etc.).  It's a licorice-flavored drink with no particular merit other than alcoholic content and cachet.  However.....if you find yourself up at the bar at Luffness, say, after an early Spring round and some old geezer offers to buy you a drink, if you say "A Kummel would do nicely, thank you" you'll be in with the bricks, as they say in toff-land.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
A local Bohemian enclave of my in-laws seem to claim the stuff as one of their ethnic drinks (along with original Budweiser).  There is something about the caraway aspect, though it has never done anything for me.  Perhaps it is used as "aiming fluid" at Prestwick?  I which case, I need to try it.  John's recipe above does look far more inviting than strait Kimmel, if not very ambitious of a project to produce.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JJShanley

Re: What in the world is \
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
Kümmel is what you drink after lunch at Muirfield before you shower and head out for the afternoon foursomes match
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:04:09 PM by Bill_McBride »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 05:13:45 PM »

. . . . and from that guy in the trailer on the 10th tee at Deal.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
Utter, utter filth. Makes Bailey's look like a classy drink
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Graham

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 06:00:55 PM »

What's wrong with Bailey's?

Perhaps you should try it mixed with Coke. A boke is quite the digestif.

JJShanley

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »

What's wrong with Bailey's?

Perhaps you should try it mixed with Coke. A boke is quite the digestif.

I think you spell that concoction "Boak."

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
My preferred brand is Metzendorf in a 1.5 litre bottle (magnum size) the nectar of the gods. Add a shot of vodka for a Silver Bullet.
Cave Nil Vino

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:07 AM »
That is a term I have not read in a very long time. For a thorough explanation of the proper dosage of Kummels to play your best golf, I suggest Stephen Potter's 1947 classic "The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship: Or the Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating."

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 03:02:12 AM »
https://cookiejargolf.com/kummel-spirit-of-the-game/

In recent weeks, reports have been coming into us from all corners of the U.K. that clubs are unable to secure orders on further stock of Wolfschmidt, amid rumours that the Danish company has ceased production. Despite a lot of phone calls and various efforts to establish contact with the brand, no official statement has been received however we can confirm that future orders on the product are no longer possible.

Whether that is due to a decision by the company to remove distribution in the U.K. or if the product itself is no longer to be produced at all is not known, and the details behind it seem to be extremely vague.

Multiple conversations with stockists in London & Edinburgh, as well as calls to some of the clubs who are the biggest consumers of the product have failed to yield anything concrete as to why the decision has been taken, however it is apparent that future orders will not be possible. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »
Thank you Brexit?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »
It tastes like rubbing alcohol soaked in "toe cheese"... ;D ;D

Just awful...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Should any choose to home-make kummel I caution you about mixing or distilling in used automobile radiators.  As southern moonshiners learned the hard way, residual anti-freeze can cause blindness among the consumers. 

You're welcome.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 05:42:41 AM »
Anticipating panic buying at Oddbins by stripy blazered wearing, portly middle-aged men.

The rest of humanity can easily let this one go.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »
Am I the only one who enjoys Kummel?

Can't remember if we had any at Muirfield, but we most definitely had(at least) a second serving of aiming fluid at Prestwick before teeing off, sitting in the tiny bar above the first tee-a good hole to arrive relaxed on.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2021, 07:48:52 AM »
Anticipating panic buying at Oddbins by stripy blazered wearing, portly middle-aged men.

The rest of humanity can easily let this one go.

I don't think Oddbins are in Deal so Chappers may have to leave his comfort zone!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 06:39:05 PM »
Have no fear Metzendorff is still available. Here are the tasting notes, for the nectar of the Gods.

https://www.mentzendorff.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/mentzendorff-kummel.pdf
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »
Am I the only one who enjoys Kummel?

Can't remember if we had any at Muirfield, but we most definitely had(at least) a second serving of aiming fluid at Prestwick before teeing off, sitting in the tiny bar above the first tee-a good hole to arrive relaxed on.

I enjoy Kummel and as they say when in Rome....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back