News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Connecticut Suggestions
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:27 AM »
My wife and I will be traveling to Connecticut November 5 and 6. Any suggestions for one round ? I am a member of a private New Jersey club but I’m aware some places don’t allow my club pro to call for me . I am also open to public tracks

Tim Martin

Re: Connecticut Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:12:55 AM »
Rick-Where in Connecticut?

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »
Saybrook

Phil Burr

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 12:19:21 PM »
Rick, with such a short stay, I’d stay close to Saybrook and shoot for Madison Country Club.  Willie Park design just inland with plenty of influence from Long Island Sound breezes.  My backup would be Black Hall in Old Lyme.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
Rick-You have a terrific 9 hole public course right in Old Saybrook called Fenwick that you should play regardless of your pick. Shennecossett is an 18 hole public owned by the City of Groton and there is a good amount of info available by accessing the search function. A standout hole and one you won’t forget is the # 4 par three with a “Volcano” style green known as the “Anthill.” Three different homemade chowders are rotated daily with Friday reserved for Manhattan style which is a particular favorite.

Madison CC is the closest worthy private which is Willie Park Jr. with a recent Brian Silva renovation. You can also head south for more Willie Park Jr. at New Haven CC which is pretty original and always fun to play. If you want to go North not far from the Connecticut border you have Shelter Harbor in Charlestown, RI which is a Hurdzan/Frye course completely uncluttered on the perimeter with a nice walk and variety of holes. Additionally there is a worthy par three course that shouldn’t be missed. I saved Misquamicut Club for last which is in Westerly, RI and would be my pick if you don’t mind the forty minute ride. It has a compelling set of Donald Ross holes and also lays claim to a “Volcano” style par three and a distinctly different feel between the two nines with 1-10,18 playing inland and 11-17 located out on Narragansett Bay. The max drive is about forty miles for the Rhode Island selections. Regardless of your pick have a great time!!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:56:04 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
I saw that Phil picked Black Hall as an option which is close to Old Saybrook but I find to be a somewhat joyless RTJ Sr. course. Very difficult IMO with an over abundance of pushed up false front greens.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 02:16:55 PM »
Play at Fenwick.  incredible 9 hole walk with great long island sound views.

course conditions are not perfect, but it will be november and who cares? 

go to Oyster Club in Mystic for food and drinks afterwards and have a great day. 

ps. i tried to upload a few photos of when i was last there in summer 2020, but couldn't figure it out!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:52:54 PM by Jon Claydon »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 05:27:03 PM »
If Rick is willing to drive west to New Haven CC or east to Shelter Island or Misquamicut, why not also consider Yale? Or do they still have covid restrictions that would prevent that? 

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
If Rick is willing to drive west to New Haven CC or east to Shelter Island or Misquamicut, why not also consider Yale? Or do they still have covid restrictions that would prevent that?

Carl-They still have a Connecticut resident only requirement to play.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 09:58:21 PM »

Carl-They still have a Connecticut resident only requirement to play.

Thanks Tim.  Wasn’t sure if they had lifted that.

Adam G

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 10:24:44 PM »
I have family in Old Saybrook and have played quite a bit in that area.

Fenwick is great. Small, pushup greens. Unirrigated with great views of the sound (and Katharine Hepburn's mansion to the right of the second hole). And a wonderful cape hole over south cove to boot. But its only 9 holes and the conditioning is what you would expect for the price ($20 in November for 9).

I also would second Shennecossett. Nice old ross with some really good greens, although some holes are newer due to a land swap with Pfizer. It is also public, but I thought in very good shape for the price.

Fox Hopyard in East Haddam is a Rulewich design and semi-private. It's in great shape and but not as interesting architecturally as Shenny. I would also second Shelter Harbor and say CC of Fairfield is fantastic if you want to drive an hour. Both are very private. I have not been to the other private clubs in the area, but Madison CC looks great from the street.

Restaurants: Grano Arso in Chester is off the charts and very worth the drive. In Saybrook, Liv's is great as is Cafe Routier in neighboring Westbrook. Saybrook Point Inn is pretty but the food is over-rated. And downtown Madison is delightful -- don't miss the RJ Julia bookstore.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »
a Second vote for Fenwick and Shennecossett.
Shennecossett also has a fun bar/restaurant.

Re:Shennecossett-the "new" holes(15,16,17) are all excellent holes(maybe the tee shot from the back tees on 16 can get a bit quirky-but I like quirk), and take the course down along the River with sweeping views of the harbour and Long Island Sound from 16 and 17, and even a peek from 15 green.
I played there many times before I was aware they were new.
The replaced holes would have to be pretty special to be missed, as they were far inland and the new holes represent the only interaction or views of the water.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam G

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
I didn't mean to disparage those holes. They are nice and the views on the Thames river are spectacular and add a lot to the experience. Some of the other greens are new as well (8, 9, 18), and Mungeam did a great job re-routing the course and building the new greens to be as seamless as possible. But while his holes are excellent, it's nearly impossible to build greens that stand up to Ross' original complexes especially the standouts at Shenny including 3, 4, and 10. 10 in particular is just outstanding and stuck out to me on my last visit as the cream of the crop.
You can see a cool comparison of the original course and the course as it exists now here: https://www.outandingolf.shop/product-page/shennecossett-golf-course.
Anyhow if you are willing to go to a public course, you really can't beat Fenwick and Shenny. I think Shenny is almost as good as George Wright in Boston, for instance, although it ranks much lower for some reason.
Adam

Will Lozier

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »

I also would second Shennecossett. Nice old ross with some really good greens, although some holes are newer due to a land swap with Pfizer. It is also public, but I thought in very good shape for the price.

+3

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »
I didn't mean to disparage those holes. They are nice and the views on the Thames river are spectacular and add a lot to the experience. Some of the other greens are new as well (8, 9, 18), and Mungeam did a great job re-routing the course and building the new greens to be as seamless as possible. But while his holes are excellent, it's nearly impossible to build greens that stand up to Ross' original complexes especially the standouts at Shenny including 3, 4, and 10. 10 in particular is just outstanding and stuck out to me on my last visit as the cream of the crop.
You can see a cool comparison of the original course and the course as it exists now here: https://www.outandingolf.shop/product-page/shennecossett-golf-course.
Anyhow if you are willing to go to a public course, you really can't beat Fenwick and Shenny. I think Shenny is almost as good as George Wright in Boston, for instance, although it ranks much lower for some reason.
Ada

Adam-I would add the green complexes on 6,7,13,14 to those you mentioned above as standouts. I’ve played it a lot over the years and think about the three holes across the street every time I’m there. The 16th is a good hole with the green up against the Thames River and Mungeum built a cool green complex on 17. I get that he had to get you to the 16th tee but 15 doesn’t do much more than that after playing the standout 13th and 14th. Regardless it’s a course I love to play and walk.

Rick Sides

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 12:32:10 PM »
Thanks for suggestions ! I played Fenwick . A nine hole gem in Old Saybrook . 20 bucks to walk and one of the most fun courses I played in my life !

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »
Thanks for suggestions ! I played Fenwick . A nine hole gem in Old Saybrook . 20 bucks to walk and one of the most fun courses I played in my life !

Rick-When you start the walk down the lane after putting out on number one you aren’t thinking it will get as good as it is. I hope you stopped at Johnny Ad’s for a lobster roll, hot dog or any number of other fine offerings. If you are looking for Italian check out Alforno also in Old Saybrook.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 02:28:32 PM by Tim Martin »

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 07:22:47 PM »
Tim , head off number one to see Audrey Hepburns mansion on the water …. Amazing

Rick Sides

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
Heading to Grano Arso for dinner

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
Take the ferry from New London . . . . . . there is a little island out there - technically part of New York because of an Indian treaty - but there is a pretty decent golf course on it.

Rick Sides

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
Gib , what’s the name of course ?

Drew Harvie

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »

I believe he is referring to Fishers Island

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »

I believe he is referring to Fishers Island

Closed for the season. :(

Rick Sides

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
Not exactly an easy course to get on !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back