News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nicholas O'Samios

The Island, Ireland
« on: June 28, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
When I first happened across this excellent site I searched at once for one of the best links I have ever encountered (OK, limited experience) - The Island, just north of Dublin.No doubr GCA is familiar with "Golfing in Ireland" (Armstrong), "Links of Heavan"Phinney and Whitely) and "Emerald Fairways and Foam Flecked Seas" (Finegan).  The latter two of these works - Finegan in particular heavily praise this "olde worlde" links.  Armstrong completely ignores it.Has any body at GCA or out there played it?

Bob Ellington

The Island, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Where is The Island? After the new course at Portmarnock, the next course I know is Baltray, which seemed to maybe be a good 1 1/2 hours out of Dublin. Does it go by another name? My golf group (6 guys) is going to Ireland in September and maybe we can check it out. Please let me know.

Nicholas O'Samios

The Island, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
The Island is about 45 minutes North of Dublin.  It does not go by any other name.  Take care driving there.  Last year one of our party encountered a high tide and was nearly marooned half as he approached. To make things worse his car was attacked by some kind of Irish sea bird. This links used to be literally an Island reachable by boat only.

Ran Morrissett

The Island, Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Bob,Like Nick, I would highly recommend the Island (it does go by the name of Malahide  by the locals). It is the quirkest course around greater Dublin and is pure linksland. Its sole weakness is that the first 8 holes are par fours and four of those are under 350 yards.  However, to compensate, it has a great closing stretch of holes from 12 in, including the 13th, which is Ireland's answer to 16 at Cypress. Also, the rollacoaster 15th gets my vote as the best par five in the country. The course is no longer a well kept secret - the price was 40 punt last September but it is still worth ago. Just allow enough time to find it!

JohnV

The Island, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I also recommend The Island.  It is a good spot to start a trip in Ireland as it isn't too difficult, but gets you in the mood for links golf in a hurry.  I didn't mind that the first 8 were par 4s as they went in different directions and had differing shot values.  As I recall, 4 and 5 were my favorites in that stretch.  13 and 15 were great.  14 is also amazing as it probably has the narrowest fairway other than #3 at Astoria and the narrowest green also.  It used to be the 1st hole with 13 the 18th when they used to row across from Malahide.

Ran Morrissett

The Island, Ireland
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
John, I agree with your points and I wasn't initially very clear. We caught The Island on a still day last year and had wedges into 6 (4th,5th,6th,8th,10th,and 11th holes) of the first 11 holes - and that's no good. In a typical wind, the course would ask a lot more questions of one's golf game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back