News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Favorite alltime books on golf architecture
« on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
The old ship wrecked on an island question - which five golf architecture books would you want with you? I would opt for 1. Wethered/Simpson The Architectural Side of Golf, 2. Robert Hunter The Links, 3. The World Atlas of Golf, 4. Doak's Confidental Guide and 5.Thomas' Golf Architecture in America.

Bill Jackson

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations on where to buy out of print books from?

Lloyd Bickerton

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
How can you not have at least one book by MacKenzie?

Russell

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I got married nine years ago and for the honeymoon we went to Ireland. I only played Waterville and Lahinch but I have gone back every other year. My enjoyment went up even further when Finegan published his Blasted Heath and Emerald Green books on Scotland and Ireland maybe four years ago. I would certainly take both of them with me - his writing style is informative/entertaining without ever being harsh.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
The two best I know are George Lewis (US) at www.golfiana.com  and Rhod McEwan (Scotland) at rhodmcewan@easynet.co.uk. Hope that helps.

Bill Ellington

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
The best book I have read in the past couple of years is Golf has Never Failed Me by Donald Ross. So many of the truths in the book are simply largely ignored today - I would definitely take that book with me to an island.

Simon Rumney

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
There is a book out in the UK called (something like) Legendary Golf Clubs of Great Britain. I have seen a copy and it is a must-have coffee table book with great photos and what looked like good text. I think it gets to the US this month. It features genuine clubs like Brancaster,Rye, etc. I predict everybody in this discussion group will want one.

John Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
While it might not quite be classified as ana rchitectue book, Patric Dickinson's A Round of Courses (circa 1951) is outstanding and great fun to read.  It is perhaps the best source for reading about British gems that might not be featured elsewhere -- Little Aston, etc.  His descrition of Royal Liverpool will have you in tears with laughter.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
This is just a note to renew book favorites to build a reading list for GCA rookies. Please list your favorites.Thanks,Dave

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
I'll say it again, Bernard Darwin's "Golf Courses of the British Isles" is the BEST golf book ever written. His descriptions of many classic holes are architecturally relevant, and informative. Following it, I'd take: 2) Hunter's "The Links"3) Mackenzie's "Spirit of St. Andrews"4) Doak's "Anatomy..."  5) and, I still haven't found Wethered and Simpson's book anywhere? So I'll add it to my list.
jeffmingay.com

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
#1. Scotland's Gift (CB)#2. The Arch. Side of Golf. (W&S)#3. The Links (R. Hunter)#4. The Anatomy (TD)#5. Masters of Links (GShac)#6. Hurdzans book. Mackenzie was a better architect than writer.Obviously, "Bury Me in a Pot Bunker" was not a serious attempt by Pete, but my sense is that Alice could co-write something with him. I would hate to see Pete be like Raynor and never really set down his thoughts on paper. Heck, he is no kid anymore - no time like the present.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Great call Jeff on Darwin. Hadn't thought of it as a "archi" book, but your point is well taken.Golf antiquities across from the Tap Room (Pebble Beach) snagged my Wethered and Simpson book for about a C-note.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
I'd take:2 course guide-type books to study:The World Atlas of Golf & The Confidential Guide...2 masters explaining their craft:The Course Beautiful by AWT and Golf Architecture in America by Thomasand1 bio with my favorite illustrations/explanations on hole design:The Captain by ShackelfordDarwin's book would probably interest me more if I ever got the chance to play some of those courses way over there. I'm also hoping George Bahto's book squeezes someone out of my 5!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam_Messix

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Here are my five recommendations:1.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Here are my five recommendations:1. The Architectural Side of Golf by Wethered and Simpson2. Doak's Anatomy of a Golf Course3. MacKenzie's The Spirit of St. Andrews4. Schackelford's The Captain5. Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture by Colt & AlisonI would also like to add that a Cornish & Whitten's book "The Architects of Golf" is really helpful and I thought Walter Travis' comments about architecture were interesting in Practical Golf.  I hestitated to include Hawtree's "Colt & Co." because it can get a bit dry at times, but the book is very informative about Colt, Alison & Morrison.  

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
My favorite is Mackenzie's "Golf Architecture", but Thomas's "Golf Architecture in America" is probably the best.
Tim Weiman

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm surprized that no one likes Colts book.  Any book that advises to place greens "where Providence devine they be" and not to contour greens so that "the ball runs away from the putter like a swine possessed by the Devil" gets my vote!Jeff
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

T_MacWood

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Spirit of St.Andrews-MacKenzieArchitectural Side-Wethered/SimpsonThe Links-HunterGolf Architecture-ThomasAnatomy of Golf-Doak,Architects of Golf-Whitten and Golden Age-Shackelford(tie)Those are just pure architecture, if it were open to related topics World Atlas, Confidential Guide and Encyclopedia of Golf would likely nudge out some of those above and that doesn't even consider essayists like Darwin, Wind, Ward-Thomas, Longhurst, Dickinson, Klein, McKinlay ....There really is a wealth of golf literature.

Nicholas Greatrex

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Ran - shipwrecked on an island, I might change my reading selection to four golf architecture books plus Petersen's Guide to Practical Shipbuilding...

Mark_Fine

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here but one that is missing that is one of my all time favorites (if nothing more than for the pictures) is Donald Steel's "The Greatest Golf Links of England Scotland Wales and Ireland".  Go buy it, you will not be disappointed.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Mark Fine, I have that book you are talking about, but it is far from being educational when relating it to fundamentals of golf design.  It is more of a picture book, and I know fro a fact you CAN read.All are great calls, especiallyt when seeing that Darwin's "GCOTBI" is mentioned, although this too can be for the most part consdiered a "Primer" or "Guide" as when it was written, very little was published about the art.Another great one if you can see it, British Golf Links" by Horace Hutchinson. Very rare and very expensive. (Circa 1892)

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
I bought a copy of Legendary Golf Clubs in Scotland last year. I believe everyone in this DG should have a copy of that book. Remarkably complete in the description of these special courses.Yancey

James Allen

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
1. Spirit of St. Andrews (it is the most quotable of any golf book I know).2. The Confidential Guide3. A Round of Golf Courses by P. Dickinson4. The World Atlas of Golf5. Pine Valley club history book (it unites so many classical architects).

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
I would substitute Geoff's Golden Age of Golf Design into the top five from my June 1999 post - but I don't know which book it would knock out!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
George,I felt the same the first time I read Darwin's book, but after one trip, even the courses I didn't see, just came alive and makes me want to get back there even more.Some of them:-Northwood-Aberdovey (Just to relive Darwin's description of riding in on the train alone!)-Westward Ho!-many, many others.The true gift of this book is Darwin's writing (and of course some of the watercolors)which is humble and personal.  What a true gift to the game he was.Holding a first edition at the Ralph Miller and seeing Darwin's signature has been one of life's great experiences.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back