News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Island fairway -- is this good architecture?
« on: February 12, 2004, 03:09:35 PM »

I received a Myrtle Beach vacation planner in the mail the other day, and this hole jumped out at me. It's the par-5 6th hole at King's North, Myrtle Beach National. At first glance, it looked artificial, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Talk about options -- the island fairway looks big enough to really tempt even a wayward player, but a drive onto the island would not necessarily make the hole any easier. If you weren't close enough to reach the green, you'd have to decide how much of the water to cut off for your layup. On the other hand, the right-hand fairway appears fairly narrow. I could even envision playing a drive to the wide part of the fairway on the right, then hitting back to the island to set up a better angle/shorter approach for the third shot.

If you've played this hole, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd also like to know what others think of it, based on the photo. The hand of man is all over this hole, but it still looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:10:09 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

RJ_Daley

Re:Island fairway -- is this good architecture?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:29:18 PM »
Rick, who is the archie-designer of that hole?  Here in our area, we have a near exact replica at Fox Hill National which was done by Bob Lohmann.

It is a gimick at best.  I think most players who try to go the island route, tend to lay back, leaving themselves a longer carry to get on the green in two, and would have had the same distance to travel to a layup position on the mainland.  So, if they play onto the island and it is soft, or they just don't flirt with running out of island real estate, they either have a tougher carry to the cape and shallow green, or they have to play back to a lay-up area anyway because they left themselves too much carry by being short on the island.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:32:40 PM »
Arnold Palmer, hence "Kings North", but don't know who the real designer was.
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »
The course was probably done by Ed Seay and Vicki Martz. I know that is his current design team, and I believe Ron Whitten lists his hole as one of his best 18 in his feature interview.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

JakaB

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:05:51 PM »
I have played the hole and had a great time doing so...I know my game is not supposed to influence my architectural critique of the hole..so bite me.  I hit a perfect three wood in the middle of the island leaving me what must have been close to 170 out....I could have never reached this green in two going the outward route so I was happy in my choice and quite satisfied with myself....well I had a good round going and a birdie might get me into the zone we all love when on a guy only overnight golf trip...so I had a nice bit of competitive pressure on the next shot and the water reminded me on the downswing.  I have always had a habit of hitting the ball very very long under pressure and I can't quite make out the pump house to the left of the green that I flew by some 10 yards...chip out, pitch, putt, putt six after being in the garden spot of the island.   It is not just a gimmick and it protects at the green...I want to play it again because it was a world of fun.  As a matter of fact Turboe called me later in the round and asked me how I did on that very hole....to me good memorable times = good architecture.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:08:58 PM »
Yes, it's Vicki Martz, of the Palmer team. Whitten notes that she's just the third woman to become a member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects.

I'm not saying I'd like a steady diet of this, but as gimmicks go, this one looks intriguing.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
 8)

How about almost islands or penisulas..

There's almost an island fairway at Woodlake's Maples Course (SP, NC area), The 2nd hole, that you must decide betwen a range of 2-3 clubs.. always enjoyed that hole, very demanding early in the round.. and the island fairway was the least of your concerns.  As for the architecture, at least it keeps the homes from encircling the hole.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 08:37:19 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 04:38:40 PM »
To judge from the picture (which I know we can't):

The safe shot looks riskier than the risky shot!

Seems to me the risky shot (the island) should be considerably harder than the safe (main fairway) shot.

As to the general concept -- a split fairway bisected by water: Why not?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 05:05:13 PM »
Dan -

That tricky Vicki. Is it that the risky shot is really the safe shot and the safe shot is really the risky shot? ;)

Bob

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 05:09:20 PM »
Dan -- I agree, but that's why I like this hole (King's North #6.)

I've disliked most split fairway holes I've played because the alternative fairway is almost never the best choice. In this case, as you point out, the "alternative" really ought to be the first strategic choice (as long as you can consistently get your ball airborn. For those who can't, you can still putt your way to the green.)

If an option isn't really a serious option, why build it? In this case, Martz made the island large enough that it's bound to be used a lot.

JakaB

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 05:13:38 PM »
I was playing that day with one of those golfers who choose the option of never hitting more than a 4 iron off of the tee and he took the long route...he made 5 and was delighted with his honor on the next tee.

disclaimer...my like of this hole does not endorse the course.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 05:25:15 PM »
It is a fun hole. Played it only once. The safer shot is to the fairway in the island to the left. It is scary. 50% of us hit it in the water the first time.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 05:34:10 PM »
There is an island fairway, maybe #17, at Edinburgh USA outside Minneapolis.  I recall this one being a bit despicable because the hole was reasonably lengthy par 4, maybe 415, and the fairway wasn't over 40 yds wide, coast to coast!  I think it is a Robert Trent Jones Jr course but could be wrong.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »
Bill -- You recall correctly. It's #17 at Edinburgh USA in Brooklyn Park, Minn., by Robert Trent Jones.

I don't particularly care for the hole, for the reasons you mention: it's too long to have to hit such a narrow fairway; you can't play safe (short) off the tee, beacause you won't reach the green with your second shot.

I prefer the King's North hole above because it gives you choices. At Edinburgh, you just have to aim for the center of the island fairway and hope you're long enough and straight enough.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 12:46:08 AM »
I was prepared to say I hate the idea of an island fairway, but it appears it actually works pretty well there.  I wouldn't recommend this become a trend, but that looks to be a fun hole to play.

I agree with Dan, it looks safer going for the island than the fairway, at least for better than 90 shooters.  But at 568 from the tips, its probably what, 500 via the island route?  That makes things more interesting.  If I didn't have the guts to pull a driver and instead hit 1i to that island, I'd have too long and difficult of a shot to go for that green and have to lay up back in the proper fairway.  That green is actually pretty nasty when approached from the island, it looks to me like if you take enough club to be sure you stay dry if you push it, you'll have too much club if you pull it and end up wet long left.  Looks like a better approach for a lefty.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 08:05:09 AM »
I've disliked most split fairway holes I've played because the alternative fairway is almost never the best choice. In this case, as you point out, the "alternative" really ought to be the first strategic choice (as long as you can consistently get your ball airborn. For those who can't, you can still putt your way to the green.)

If an option isn't really a serious option, why build it? In this case, Martz made the island large enough that it's bound to be used a lot.

Agreed. But --

I've disliked most split fairway holes I've played because there's almost always a clearly and immediately preferable side. I think there is one here, too; it's just not the usual one.

I want a split fairway hole to toy with my brain -- to tempt me to take the higher-risk/higher-reward fairway. I don't think this one would ever do that, because the higher-risk fairway (to my eyes) is the lower-reward fairway. The only time I might take the long, right road: You had the honors in a match and had hit first and had put it in the water. Then I might play it the JakaB friend's way.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 09:02:05 AM »
Take it for what it's worth guys (even if it appears gimicky)...a fun and interesting hole that provides a unique challenge.  I'm not sayig that I'd like to see a steady diet of holes like this, but as a lover of LOTS of different design styles (ala the Huckaby school) this appeals to my sense of adventure on the course.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 09:03:59 AM »
How about the 6th at Stone Harbor? Here is Muirhead's description of this island fairway hole:
6th Hole - "Beowulf"
Beowulf was the young hero who engaged the hideous monster Grendel in mortal combat. Beowulf had heard that Grendel was resilient against all weapons and he astonished Grendel by casting aside his sword and shield, preparing to fight him hand to hand. After a marathon struggle, he tore the monster's arm from its socket, forcing it to return home to die. Beowulf returned a hero and hung the arm from his wall as a trophy. At midnight, Grendel's mother came back to take her son's arm and the two struggled violently with Beowulf decapitating her, thus ending the reign of terror. On this hole, a heroic carry is needed to play the island which lessons the distance to the green by as much as 50 yards. The island route also misses the giant mound of tangled grass and ferocious traps representing the monster Grendel. The second shot is to a green which juts out into the water. If you go for the drier, fatter area of the green when the pin is positioned on the peninsula below, you must negotiate a severe ledge with a downhill putt. Those avoiding the island must come to terms with not only Grendel but Grendel's arm, the long bunker which guards the approach to the green. Grendel's mother is not forgotten. The eye behind the green recalls her fight with Beowulf and bears her name for posterity.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back