News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Acceptable use of trees?
« on: February 08, 2004, 10:20:01 AM »
The green lies directly online with the right half of the stand directly in front of you.

Is this an acceptable use of trees?

For those who know the hole, I'd say yes, but only because there are more options to the left of the line of charm.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 01:36:37 PM by A_Clay_Man »

RJ_Daley

Re:Acceptable use of trees?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 11:46:45 AM »
I honestly never cared much for it...  Pretty setting... strategic enough... hard green end...  but I just don't like the reliance on a clusters of trees - and this cluster isn't even a healthy looking well formed grouping.  I wouldn't give them more than a few more years life span. ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 01:56:43 PM »
Maybe it was comming off one of my fav's #8, but when I first stood there, I wanted to draw one right over the River. Of course reality set in before I struck my ball.

I wonder how I would feel today with all the increased length I am experiencing?

Correct me if I'm wrong(like that needs to be said) but Playing the furthest left line, doesn't give one much a view at the green, but allows for the best angle? (widest margin for error)  

Bill- Not sure about the similarity to 17 at CPC. Middle of the fairway is rather difficult to judge here, where at CP it's straight all along the left. Plus, the bunjkers in the center of this hole are very intimidating, unlike anything the short trees on 17. ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 02:00:35 PM by A_Clay_Man »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 02:07:54 PM »
Here's a closer look

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
If you took out that stand of trees what would the hole lose except it's present lack of visibility?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 04:27:54 PM »
Tom- It would allow for the "warm and fuzzies" when trying for the fair green (short right as shown in second pic). As it stands today, a nice high soft shot to that piece of fairgreen is doable, just difficult to club because of the trees. Same is true on the par 3 13th.

Called "Tall Timber" This hole would never instill anything remotely close to "warm and fuzzy", in me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 04:35:33 PM by A_Clay_Man »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 11:31:59 PM »
I think the trees are too overgrown now.  Tee shot must go through pinhole.

From above, the bunker fronting the green is much more visible than from the tee:

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 01:17:08 PM »
It is important to note that the hole is about 310 yards long from the back, and the carry straight to the green is what, 240 (a lot less from the regular tees)?  I agree that the trees are a bit too overgrown, just like on 13, so you don't really have a clean enough shot at the green.  As original, a few holes on this course show how great Dye was in using a strategic tree, but also that such use can be a bit ephemeral.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 01:33:04 PM »
I'll be honest and tell you all that I only remember this hole from many years ago. Close to it's original form.

Scott- The tee shot has always felt like a pin hole.

If you look in the first picture on this thread, notice that little hillock to the left and in front of the teeing ground. You can also notice the small size of the teeing ground. Without that hillock, A tee shot, for a duffer like me, would be a no-brainer. But because that hillock blocks my ability to hit my patented low cutting banana I am forced to think. Many times when faced with a hit and pray scenario, I say scrooom, I can get up and down from anywhere.

Anybody who knows the 7th hole at De laveaga in Santa Cruz. I make the same decision there to play left of left for similar reasons. It allows me to use the length of the green for my low runner approach between the trees, versus trying to hold the narrowness from the tree encroached fairway.

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 01:47:47 PM »
Anybody who knows the 7th hole at De laveaga in Santa Cruz. I make the same decision there to play left of left for similar reasons. It allows me to use the length of the green for my low runner approach between the trees, versus trying to hold the narrowness from the tree encroached fairway.

No can do these days, Adam.  Left of left there is now marked OB, has been for some time.  Always used to be my play also - go up 9 fairway. Apparently too many people think like us.  :'(

TH

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 08:26:42 PM »
Acceptable uses of trees......

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 10:09:49 PM »
This gave me a laugh , after reading this thread yesterday , I went and played a par 3 nine holer close by to where I am at the moment , when I reached this hole of 139 yards , I looked in every direction before realising I was supposed to aim for the bulls eye .

Acceptable use of Trees ?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »
wow, this is the Sherwood Forest equivalent of #5 at Prestwick, including the bulls-eye!!  

when aiming at the bulls-eye, did you go low-left or low-right?  

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 12:14:26 AM »
Guys
The course is a par 3 course in the grounds of the Asia Hotel , Pattaya , Thailand .

It actually isnt that bad , as some of the bunkering is brutal for a hotel pitch and putt course .

It was built in the 1960's and I would love to know what this hole looked like back then as I have played it several times over the last 15 years and they have never pruned anything off those trees as far as I can see.

Its very frustrating and funny standing on this tee watching the mayhem ahead.

BE

moth

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 01:11:53 AM »
You brits have nice long holidays!  ;)  How long is it that you have been in Thailand now?

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 11:19:14 AM »
"Trees of any kind are non existent- as they should be"
Walter J. Travis
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 12:22:43 PM »
We have talked about this hole here in the past...tough, tough little par-3 and those trees make all the difference in the world in terms of the strategy you take in attacking this beast.

I'm not so much in dissaproval of the trees themselves, but the height of them, coupled with the length of the hole just does not add up to the appropriate shot to get at this green...kind of a par-3-and-a-half hole to play it "safely".

Then again, if you like swimming in the river after your ball it's a great hole!!! 8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 01:04:17 PM »
Not for the first time, I may have goofed.  Is this 9 or 13 at BWR?  I thought 9.
That was one hellacious beaver.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 04:01:22 PM »
Yes Jeff, #9 is the first pic, but I wanted to make some confusion by throwing in the par 3, as a comparison.

I never intended to prove my point about the old routing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back