News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Member vacancy at CPC?....
« on: February 10, 2004, 12:22:55 PM »

Joel_Stewart

Re:Member vacancy at CPC?....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 12:28:09 PM »
I can not read the fine print but its possible its sometype of an auction item for the sheriffs department.  Most likely its a scam.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:37:33 PM »
It does not seem to be a scam.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 12:59:16 PM »
$9,000 is the opening bid, its absurd.

klangone

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »
A friend of mine alerted me of this Ebay posting a few days ago..........he called the club and they said "they were aware of it and would take care of it"

There was also a Winged Foot bidding going on too.........he called there also and they are in full motion to correct the situation.

Being a member at several clubs........I would be horrified if I saw a round being auctioned on any site!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 01:24:32 PM »
No one has bid yet, which is not surprising given the high opening amount, and the poor feedback history of the auction lister.  

Looking at the fine print, it appears that someone won the right to play at CPC on a weekday, subject to availability back in 2000.  The certificate says the name of the person who won the auction, and says that he can play, or someone he assigns the certificate to can play.  You are supposed to call someone to arrange the date.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:36:18 PM »

the right to play could have been "won" at some sort of charity auction.  I have been at some auctions where some pretty fine days at clubs are auctioned off.  Of course with the advent of GCA, who needs to bid at a charity auction anymore to play Cypress Point or Winged Foot?

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 01:42:07 PM »
This one may be BS, but there was a Villanova auction of rounds at various courses, including I think Merion, Baltusrol, Aronomink and Long Cove, several of which went for more than a grand.

Jeff Goldman
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:58:28 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 02:17:18 PM »
Jeff:
That Villanova auctioion was not BS. There was thread about here.
Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

danielfaleman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 03:17:33 PM »
Mike,

We then assume that you do not have black, brown or yellow skin and/or are not Jewish. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 03:19:31 PM »
Regarding membership vacancy at CPC, here's an amazing story about fellow I've known for years. He was a good Ivy League college golfer, belongs now to a most impressive group of top American clubs. I believe when he was a senior in college he journeyed to California and happened to play CPC with I believe the president of the club. He was near to shooting a record score at CPC his first time there and shortly after holing out on #18 he was asked by the President if he'd like to become a member of CPC right then and there. He said he thought about that for a moment and said something to the effect;

"I very much appreciate the offer but I really don't see myself being in California again often enough, so thanks but no thanks."

According to him recently it's the most boneheaded move he's ever made in golf by a mile!!

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 04:24:30 PM »
TEPaul,

It's been deleted.  

Shivas,

The player had been off the mini-tours for about 5 years and had finally regained his amateur status.  For the record, he did not make the cut.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 04:28:55 PM »
BrianG;

Thank you very much and the membership chairman just called me up and he too thanks you very, very, very much!  ;)

Mine is disappearing too!

golfer4life

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »
Anyone want to wager whether or not CPC will honor this particular certificate? ;)  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 01:57:11 PM »
It is looking more and more like a scam. Did anyone pay attention to the spelling in the description?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back