News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:Hardest course you have played
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2004, 03:40:14 PM »
That reminds me.. I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, though it has been many times before in this forum... but we had a course out here that makes all these others look like kid's stuff.

Fort Ord - Bayonet, circa 1980.  

Those who played it back then know... I shall not describe it yet again.  God I miss it so, in a masochistic way.   :'(

Doug Siebert

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2004, 03:47:50 AM »
Haven't played many of these, but I'll comment on a couple...

Royal Troon is a beast when you play in into the wind.  It just seems like it never ends, never lets up.  Going out with the wind is no treat either, trying to control the ball.

Carnoustie as the toughest?  Not in my experience at least.  First time I played it in a 25 mph wind, and while I had major duck hook-itis on the front leading to a 49, I got myself straightened out on the 10th tee, and after nearly killing a caddie in the group ahead went on to a 38, including -2 on the final three which none of the caddies in my group had ever seen done before.  The second time I visited I went around in 83 in 18 holes of pouring rain.  I've never played in rain like that before, I'm mostly a fair weather golfer.

After that second round at Carnoustie I played four more rounds in Scotland, shooting 76, 102, 76, 82.  Turnberry, Prestwick, North Berwick, Muirfield.  Guess which one I'd vote for as the toughest?  I've done better at Prestwick though, the first time I played it I went round in a mere 95!  OK conditions were tough both times, but from what I hear from the people at the club it is pretty much always that way.  It isn't like the same strong winds affected me at all at Turnberry the day before.

I'm sure I could break 90 at Prestwick if only I had a gallery to find my balls for me, it isn't like the rough is that thick there.  If it had the hay that Muirfield does I'd probably be a pile of bleached bones lost somewhere off the 5th fairway  ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

mcdermottpa

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2004, 08:11:04 PM »
Oakmont is the hardest by 3 strokes - hands down!!!

Runner ups-

County Down
Oakland Hills
Bethpage
Merion when firm
Pine Valley when firm

Never played Kiawah.

Hardest isn't always best

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2004, 09:48:06 PM »
For our own edification, this site should smoke out the details of the opinions of the last poster on this thread---mcdermottpa. I know this young man--he's been the player of the year in Philly for the last few years--he beat the medalist in last year's US Am at Oakmont etc. Maybe he's too modest or he just didn't think to mention where he comes from on this subject. This young man can also really hit it far--and I mean far!

We can all talk about what we feel from our own games and experiences at Oakmont, but I for one would like to hear some details from Mike McDermott about exactly what he means by what he said about Oakmont and from a real national amateur's perspective it should be interesting!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:24:40 AM by TEPaul »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2004, 10:08:46 PM »
TE Paul,

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the post.  After reading what MCDermottPa had to say about Oakmont, one would only assume it was Michael.  If so, welcome to the site Mike, and as Tom Paul requested, I would defintily like to hear your thoughts on why Oakmont is so tough, 3 shots tougher than any course, even Pine Valley.

Jason Mandel
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back