News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Big Pete

Re:Par 3's at Peninsula North
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 03:13:42 AM »
Mike
Every member I know at Rosanna is proud of the changes to our club . All are aware that it is a much better course now . The only issue for members of such a busy course is the constant interruption - some members haven't played the true full course for quite a while with all the temporary holes/greens etc . Others like myself can't wait for the next instalment...   - there is still much to be done!

On a different topic I have just come back from a business trip to Sydney and played Royal and NSW - both of which appear to have had some change . NSW was in great shape , and a joy to play . Who was responsible for the new bunkering?Also is that an extra hole behind 16 on the cliff?

Alas the bunkering at Sydney , which has also changed , was not so flash . Good members course though!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 05:32:13 AM »
Pete

It's always difficult to fix problems without interrupting members.I guess it's the price they pay and it is always frustrating.
It's also frustration seeing how much better the course can be - and will be - and not being able to do it all at once.
The huge advantage Peninsula has was they could close the North for six months and nobody really cared.

Bob Harrison was responsible for all the new bunkering at NSW and he did a terrific job.
They have a spare hole - a short 3 behind the 16th . It looks ok but I've never played it.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 05:39:42 AM »
The extra hole at NSW is a 98m par 3 across a deep valley to a 2 teired green with 2 front bunkers guarding the high left side of the green. It was in play recently when they were reconstructing the 17th green.

The extra hole is a nice little hole, but is too short. At 120m it would be a lot of fun.

Big Pete

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 06:14:15 AM »
Andrew
Thanks for the info on the par 3 - it looks tempting if too short ...
Mike
I think Bob Harrison has enhanced both the look and playability of a great course with the bunkering - not a bad effort!

David_Elvins

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 10:12:23 PM »
I would have to agree with Mike, the 2rd at Ranfurlie is a really good long three.  It must be about 210 yards into the wind to get to the back left pin position, right?  And it is such a multi dimensional hole as well.  It is almost as intersting to play it from he forward tees to the front right pin postion. For me it rates as my second favorite Par 3 built in th last 20 years in Victoria (behind the 2nd at Penninsula north).

BTW Mike, Can the second at Penninsula North really be stretched to 180 metres?  And would you want it too?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2004, 12:34:33 AM »
Dave

It's currently 161 meters and it cannot go back any further.The ground falls away so sharply there.
It is between 15 and 20 meters longer than it was and the green is too small for a 3 iron shot - and a wood for most of the members.

Back behind the 2nd tee is also a great area for the 18th tee on the south if it was ever shortened to a par 4.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 09:08:55 AM »
Mike and others,

How do you rate the Par 3 13th hole (198m) on The National (Old)? It was numbered 8 under the old config.

It's always been a shot swinger in comp rounds I've played, as it has enough green to tempt the player to have a crack at the pin no matter where it's cut. It sits in a nice little amphitheatre, and has some great bunkering that not only punishes a short side miss, but blends beautifully with the adjacent flora.

I'm interested in your opinions, and those maybe of Chris Kane, given that he's likely to play it in the Mazda fourball, after shooting pro numbers at Woodlands last week....

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back