News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

The Minikahda Club
« on: January 15, 2004, 09:36:01 PM »
The photos below are of The Minikahda Club, Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minikahda Club is steeped in golfing history. It played host to the 1916 US Open, won by amateur Chick Evans. In 1927, Bobby Jones defended his US Amateur title with an 8 and 7 win over the same Mr. Evans. The Club has hosted three other USGA events, including a Women's Amateur in 1998 and Curtis Cup in 1998.

The course was designed in 1906 by Robert Foulis and Willie Watson.  Donald Ross made major revisions in 1917. Other work on the course was done by Ralph Plummer (1962) and Mike Hurdzan (1990). Most recently, Ron Prichard undertook a significant restoration of the course in 2002-2003, restoring the greens to the orginal sizes as designed by Ross, restoring bunkers and, most important, removing hundreds of trees. The result is striking in my opinion, with many recovered pin positions and bunkering that is much much better. I think the course is beautifully routed by Ross on a rolling property where Ross nicely varied the siting of his greens, from the beautiful par 3 3rd, which sits in a hillside bowl, to the skyline par 5 9th to the downhill par 4 10th, and he used a couple of steep hills that bisect the course to good effect on the par 5 4th and short par 4 5th to create blindness on the second shot and tee shot, respectively. Unfortunately, highway construction robbed the club of several holes many years ago, and the final 4 holes detract from the overall aspect of the course.

The photos below are post-restoration July 2003.  Apologies for the quality as I'm a neophyte with the digital camera. Thanks to Brad Swanson for his assistance and patience with the photos.

The par 3 3rd. Ross used his high to low to high design on this great par 3, and it's a wonderful greensite. The deep bunker greenside left front was restored, and as the next photo depicts Prichard restored the green to its original size so there are now terrific pinnable areas behind the left bunker. One can see the hill bisecting the par 5 4th in the background.

View from behind the 3rd green. Prichard restored the greens to their original size, and it shows here via the contrast between the darker new section and the lighter old section.

View from the fairway landing zone for tee shots on the par 5 4th. This hole again shows Ross's hand in using the hill to traverse the fairway, creating a blind second shot and lending much more interest to the hole. The fairway bunker in the hillside left is restored. This hill also bisects the short par 4 5th pictured below.

5 green from hill. This short par 4 demonstrates Ross's skill with short holes. One has many options--a drive with a mid iron to the top of the hill and this great look at the green from 100 yards or a blind drive that must miss the now-restored fairway bunker about 50 yards from the green on the right and generally must be properly placed to enable the second shot to hold the tiny, sloped, elevated and well-bunkered green. The greenside bunkering restoration here and elsewhere is excellen--deeper and reshaped.

7 tee Looking down the fairway on this 500 yard par 5 dogleg right, one can see Prichard's hand in removing trees that had encroached almost to where the new bunkers are, and the thinning he did to the rest of the tree grove to the right of the fairway.

7 green

The par 3 8th. This is Ross's long par 3, about 220 yards, to a large green. Prichard greatly improved this hole by recontouring the green, redoing the bunkers and adding a terrific chipping area behind the green  from which players going long will have a myriad of options.

The view from about 80 yards short of the par 5 9th. This skyline green was beautifully located by Ross. One must not be timid here because shots hitting on the front of this green can end up at or beyond the spot where this photo was taken! Similarly, putts can roll off the front of the green to the same fate.

The long downhill 10th. Prichard restored the bunkering to the right of the fairway and the greenside bunkering was deepened and reshaped. A beautiful golf hole.

The approach to the 10th green. A running approach is possible but must be precise.  

Greenside bunker to the right of the 10th green. Shortsiding is not a good result on this course due to the depth of the bunkers and the slope of the greens.

The par 3 11th. Again, bunkers were deepened and reshaped here. With this small and steeply sloped target, they are truly hazards.

View from the tee of the downhill par 5 13th. Prichard restored all of the bunkering you see here and removed a lot of trees along this hole.

Approach to the par 5 13th. Prichard removed a forest that resided behind this green, which opened up the golf course view considerably as one goes down the hill toward the green. He also doubled or tripled the size of this green, and it is now huge. Not sure if that's how Ross had it, but I suspect so.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 09:37:11 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Kelly

Re:The Minikahda Club
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »
Doug --

Thanks. Fine pictures!

I've had the Minikahda pleasure only twice, way back in high school, when I wasn't nearly good enough to play it. Good to see those trees gone. It was claustrophobic even when I was in high school, and it must have gotten worse over the years.

A couple of questions, if you know:

1. What were the lost holes like? A shame they were lost, if they were good, to a road that would be nicer if it weren't so darned straight, but instead had to meander around the edge of Minikahda.

2. What sort of shoes do they allow at Minikahda?

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

ian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 10:36:44 PM »
Doug,

I love suprises. This one was completely off my radar, but the course has great character. I love the feel that the tree removal has added, the course looks inviting, even though I get the impression that it is tough.

Are the green very undulating, because I wasn't sure on most, although the expansion green looks quite contoured?

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 10:41:31 PM »
Doug:

Thanks for sharing the pictures
 of Minikahda.  I saw the course both before, during and after the restoration by Ron Prichard.

Prichard did a fabulous job and Minikahda is an excellent golf course now.  

In fact, we at Beverly did some research on Ron's work by visiting Minikahda and Skokie, where he also did an excellent job.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 10:41:47 PM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 10:43:10 PM »
Doug:

As an aside, check around, but Craig Shreiner also did work at Minikahda in the last decade or so.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 09:26:35 AM »
I was there in the spring and loved the course. the last few holes  had not been finished. Do you have any after pics on 15,16,17. John

ChipOat

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 09:38:13 AM »
Ron Prichard took a bunch of trees OUT???

Looks to me like the tree huggers on the board got a lot of compromises before they'd approve anything.

Perhaps the Oakmont approach wouldn't fly here.

I don't see any Stupid Trees in those pictures but if that's the club's idea of maximizing air circulation and light............

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »
Chipoat -- It's been 33 years since I played Minikahda, but I still recall how tight I thought the course was then. It does look more open now, based on Doug's pictures. I definitely liked what Prichard did on 13, opening up the hole and removing the claustrophobic feel that I still see on #10.

I'm assuming the trees I battled with in 1970 weren't in the original plans. Ross wasn't much of a tree guy, either, so the jungle must have begun sometime in the '20s or '30s.

It's a beautiful-looking golf course, but I still think there are another hundred or so trees that could go.

We sure do get green in Minnesota in the summer, don't we?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 11:42:53 AM »
I guess one should be green after having water/ice on it for 8 months lol

Brad Swanson

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 02:02:19 PM »
Doug,
   Has George given you a grade on your homework assignment yet?

Cheers,
Brad

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 02:37:52 PM »
Brad,

No, George in fact hasn't graded my work yet. I suspect he's backed up with all the projects submitted... ;D  ;) Thanks again for your help with the photos.

Chipoat et al,

Regarding trees yes the course still looks very treed from these photos, and a lot of trees remain, but you wouldn't believe the difference both in appearance and in playability. There are still some Stupid Trees (tm) at Minikahda, but the number is waaaaaaaay down compared to two years ago.

I'll post some more thoughts/responses to your queries above later when time allows.

Best,

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 03:27:27 PM »
Some of the look of those trees suggests relatively recent planting (on #s 5 and 7, specifically). Maybe they want future generations to have the same rewarding experience?

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 02:15:50 AM »
Doug,

Thanks for posting the Minikahda photos. Considering the next time I drive past the course it'll be covered by a fresh 3-7 inches of snow. Ugh.

In a town/state filled with some really good (and underrated) golf, Minikahda is one of the underrated gems. Two summers ago, a co-worker and I pulled off a great double: Interlachen in the a.m. and Minikahda in the p.m. It's not very often you can play two U.S. Open courses on the same day. The fact that the most recent was held in '30 made it even better.

I haven't played it since the renovations, but hope to this summer. The photos are great.

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 02:42:22 PM »
shel,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm no Ansel Adams but it was fun to pass the time during this scramble snapping photos.

To respond to a few other queries above:

Dan Kelly Q: What were the lost holes [lost to highway construction] like?

A: Dunno Dan, I wasn't around Minneapolis back in the 1950s... ;D I will ask my Minikahda conact if he has some info on that.

Ian Andrew Q: Are the greens very undulating?

A: More subtly sloped than undulating, typical of Ross IMO. A lot of greens slope back to front or one side to the other; very little that's gimmicky. Due to the size of many of the greens, if you miss in the wrong place with the green running away you have big trouble.

SPDB: Regarding trees you're right the course looks highly treed from the above photos and there are some younger stupid trees they planted recently (obviously before the Prichard work) but you can't believe how much more open the course looks and plays.

Like Beverly, the members/committee deserve credit for stepping up to the plate at this little gem.

Best,

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 09:13:23 PM »
Wow!

Would definitely be worth a drive up from Dubuque to "sample" this place...I'm drooling already...but that's another story!  ;)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

ChipOat

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 10:00:16 PM »
Doug Wright:

Any old pix around the clubhouse that show the "treeless" course any time before 1930?

Of course, even if your answer is "yes" and those photos are, in fact, prominently displayed, the tree huggers of today will conveniently ignore them as "old fashioned".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back