News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re:Golf Vacation/Honeymoon?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 10:17:10 AM »
Depends on the women, choose well.

The women? Well, now I'm getting an entirely different picture!

Who'd have the time for golf? Or the interest?

Smileys all around, boys!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill Gayne

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 10:21:32 AM »
Tom,

It's not personal at all. It worked for me. It really does depend on the individuals.

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »
Bill:

Gotcha.  No hassles.  And in the end you are right, it surely does depend on the individuals.

But we could say that about every single darn issue we ever discuss here, and if that's all that's ever said, well then as I said to my friend Dan in so many words, what fun is that?

;D ;D ;D

TH

Andy Hughes

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 11:01:43 AM »
<<Nope, I'm standing firm on this one.  Play one round - pushing it farther, as Scott and others here did (and hell, I did too, but that as at her urging), bring her along for the ride, low-key it as just another normal thing you do.  Set the precedent>> Huckaby

Must have clarification: your wife URGED you to play more golf on your honeymoon?
Does Mrs Huckaby have a sister?  ;D
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

She did indeed.  God damn, I complain all the time about her in here, but things keep coming up to remind me how cool she really is.  I do need a bitch-slapping.

She has no sisters... but she does have a brother, and we do live near San Francisco.... so... how much is access to golf worth to you?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy Hughes

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 11:23:43 AM »
<<She has no sisters... but she does have a brother, and we do live near San Francisco.... so... how much is access to golf worth to you?>>

Heh!
Well, at the moment I have visions dancing in my head  of a few rounds at Tobacco Road, Mid Pines and Southern Pines in the near future . So no need for any major life changes just yet... ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 11:29:29 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.  But you know where to turn if things get desparate.

OK, I've also said in here before that I am dead if my wife ever does read my ramblings.. now the death shall be a painful one, for these insinuations about her brother...

BTW, back to the actual topic here, but I must say I concur with Dan K. re where to go - Cabo is awesome - and El Dorado also works great for that one round.  Very beautiful, both ocean and desert.  Damn fun course to play, also.  Good tacos at halfway point.  Fine drinks everywhere.  ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 12:22:12 PM »
My wife encourages me to play as much as possible - which isn't much, admittedly. She also encouraged me to play on our honeymoon. I took her at her word & played. In fact, she went back with me to the course later to see the views. You just have to know your spouse.

Vegas golf didn't do much for me. Way too expensive for courses I didn't really care for.

Me, I'd go to Kapalua for my honeymoon. But I've never been to Hawaii, so others would likely know better. Kapalua sounds like a course that GCA enthusiasts love, but other golfers don't find as special. One of my golfing friends honeymooned in Hawaii & said Kapalua was nothing special (I don't generally take my golf course advice from him) & said the Prince or Princeville or something is the most beautiful course he's ever played.

I like the idea of Mid Ocean on Bermuda. Are you honeymooning right after your wedding? If so, Bermuda means you're backtracking (I vaguely recall your posting before that you're a northeasterner).

My second honeymoon will be at Barnbougle. ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2004, 12:25:34 PM »
Good call re Kapalua, George.  Beautiful, lots to do outside of golf, Plantation can be sold as a must ("we just watched it on TV"), then the other courses can be early-morning/late-afternoon add-ons very easily. ;)  Kinda expensive, but worth it.

Andy_Lipschultz

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2004, 12:37:12 PM »
Blow off golf in Vegas. Not worth it. The wedding day(s) is her day--not yours. Got to concur with Kauai for the honeymoon. In fact, that's where I proposed to my wife, so she was so damn happy, I golfed all I wanted. She would grab a cart at the Prince course and come visit me, then go back to the gym and restaurant overlooking the course for a workout and meal, then back to the beach.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2004, 12:44:06 PM »
A warning about Bermuda in January (when he said his wedding/honeymoon is), is that it's not that warm there then.  High temperatures in January range from 60-68, which are not exactly beach temperatures.  Bermuda is on the same latituda as South Carolina, I believe, but is moderated in winter by the Gulf Stream, which is why it isn't as cold as SC in winter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 12:45:14 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Chris Pike

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2004, 03:45:48 PM »
Great topic!

My wife comes from a long line of golf widows.  In fact, her father was on the golf course for the births of two of his three children  :o  Even with this long line of blessed men (or unfortunate women), I didn't play golf on my honeymoon.  I even spent a honeymoon night at the World Golf Village, while The Player's Championship was going on just a few miles away.  Ask me how many times people who worked at the WGV asked me, "so how was the tournament today?" "We didn't attend the tournament, we’re on our honeymoon" >:(  

A few pieces of advice that I could give you are:

1.) If you don't plan on golfing, go somewhere that doesn't have a course that you will kick yourself for not playing later on (i.e. don't go to Princeville and not play the course).
2.) If you are unlucky enough to go to a place that has great golf and not play, subtley let her know that not playing golf is killing you.  Some things you can do is distractedly stare at the golf course every time you walk by it, visit the pro shop just to pick up a souvenir and say to her, "I usually don’t buy golf souvenirs from courses I don’t play, but I’ll make an exception this time since it will be a souvenir from our honeymoon", etc.

Notice, none of the pieces of advice recommended actually playing golf at all.  Not a good idea!  Not having played golf on my honeymoon has contributed to three years of playing golf  (so far) without any questions from my better half.  We’ve even gone on a few golf trips together  (she just calls them "vacations").

Good Luck!
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

nandoal

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2004, 04:02:16 PM »
Guys I want to thank you for all of the input,  I didn't know I was creating such a stir.  I still do plan on playing in Vegas with my father, brother and best man the morning before the wedding.  Reflection Bay or Wolf Creek is where Im leaning.  But for our honeymoon we are leaning toward the Dominicon Republic right now.  I wanna go to Cabo but she wants the DR.  Anyway the reason why I want to play is its -11 here in Pittsburgh! I play more late fall and winter golf than I do all summer.  I guess most do that work at a golf course.  Thanks again guys.

Allan

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2004, 04:06:52 PM »
Dependent on the length of the honeymoon stay, I say include a round of golf. If it is in Hawaii or Cabo and your spouse is up to it, let her drive the cart and enjoy the time together.

If it purely over a weekend forget it.

A good friend of mine was marrying for the second time. The pre-nup was drawn up... she agreed never to play golf!  

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2004, 04:42:47 PM »
Well, my long drawn out post on Wolf Creek just got accidentally erased by yours truly. I'll try to elaborate next week with photos, but I would sum it up as a definite love it or hate it golf course. If you or anyone in your group have any fear of heights, you will definitely hate it. If you enjoy standing atop a 100 foot ridge and watching your tee shots fly fly fly, you will probably love it. Me, I thought it was goofy golf on the grandest scale I've ever seen.

It is a good 90 minutes from Vegas, so plan accordingly.

If you see Natasha at one of the various men's clubs, tell her I said hi. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2004, 05:20:54 PM »
nandoal & Turboe,

My honeymoon started off slowly, with only 18 holes a day at
Riviera and Los Angeles CC, then we moved a little north to Pebble Beach, et. al. for 36 holes a day.  

After the third day in a row of 36 a day, my wife turned to the caddy and said, "he needs a younger wife".

The key to success in blending golf with marriage is in the selection process.

Partner selection is absolutely vital in Golf, Business and Marriage.

nandoal,

If Mike Cirba is correct, why are you asking this question ?

Didn't experience teach you anything ?   ;D

Remember too,
"AS THE TWIG BENDETH, SO GROWETH THE TREE.

Good luck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back