News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

GCTQOTD #22
« on: January 16, 2004, 09:25:23 AM »
"The cutting of the sides of fairways should not be made in straight lines, for, as noted by numerous writers, the curves made by the edges of the fairway enable players and caddies to  mark more easily balls which go in the rough.  Lately, on a number of courses where rough has no outstanding features, painted stakes have been placed so that balls may be more readily marked." - George C. Thomas, Jr.

A question:  Which do you like:  straight of curvey?

A comment:  Thomas' writing is full of quirky practices such as the staking of rough in the quote above.  Many such practices must have been short-lived.  Kinda reminds me of the lettered signs on the light poles in the parking lot at the stadium.

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Phillips

Re:GCTQOTD #22
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »
Mike,

A number of courses in Britain still use stakes in the rough especially courses with a lot of heather.

I prefer curvy....by a long way..

Brian

ps. keep up the quotes, I really enjoy it...you can't reference it to which page it is on as well can you?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 11:20:54 AM »
Brian,  

To post the page nos. would totally compromise my ability to post a quote out of context ;)

Bottom of page 228.

Mike

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 11:24:22 AM »
Mike,
I currently have 4 books in the 'to be read' pile and have been agonising over which to 'hit' first. The Wexler?, the Scotland's gift - Golf?, the Bernard Darwin? or the GCT.
Thanks for just helping me make up my mind!! GCT here I come! :D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »
FBD,

You are welcome, though I would never advocate any book be read before CB's tremendous book.

Mike

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »
Aaaaargh!!!!
Now you've gone and done it! I'm in a right quandary now!
Question to self - can your small brain deal with reading both at the same time? Hmmmm.....

FBD. :o
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 12:55:36 PM »
Martin,

Go for the Thomas book it is MILES better reading for architecture in fact a second bible alongside The Links...

If you join the EIGCA...you can borrow all these books for free...get your application in..

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back