News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

The Hideout Golf Club & Sage Valley?
« on: March 17, 2003, 07:19:43 PM »
I've been hearing some good things about The Hideout Golf Club in Monticello, Utah.  Anyone here have any insight and/or played it?  I have not yet been out to see it.  

Also, does anyone know anything about Sage Valley in South Carolina?  A buddy just emailed me on this one and I know nothing about it!  

Supposedly both these courses are getting some buzz!  

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: The Hideout Golf Club & Sage Valley?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 06:34:43 AM »
Mark- Other than knowing Forrest did the renovation @ The hideout, I learned it use to be a nine holer.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 07:51:58 AM »
Mark,

Here's everything you wanted to know abou Hideout, designed by GCA-posting architect Forrest Richardson:

http://www.golfgroupltd.com/hideout/index.html

Sage Valley is an ultra-exclusive Fazio course that I believe was founded by a number of Augusta National members.  It was on Golf Digest's list of Best New Private courses for 2002.

http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/bestnew/

Keith Williams

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 07:56:00 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that C & C turned down the Sage Valley job and that many of the members were disappointed that it didn't gather more acclaim in its first year.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 11:10:36 AM »
Has anyone played any of these courses??

Mike Leveille

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 01:39:00 PM »
Mark:

I played Sage Valley last summer.  It is a Tom Fazio design.  Upscale private club.  They have a caddy program and the layout is such that walking is quite doable, especially with a caddy - though the course is fairly hilly.

Based only on my single round there, I would describe Sage Valley as a very good course - certainly not great but certainly above average.  My impression was that it was simply a good, solid golf course, without some of the "eye-candy" type stuff you seem to get with Tom Fazio courses.  The course played nice and firm, at least last summer - we have had a wet fall-winter and all the courses are soft now.

Bottom line, if you are in the area and have a chance to play Sage Valley, it is a very nice way to spend a day - but I would not go too far out of my way to play there.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 02:14:17 PM »
Here's some pics of Sage Valley:

Hole #1:

Hole #2:

Hole #12:

Hole #18:

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 04:11:14 PM »
Mike and Scott,
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it.  Next time I am down that way, I may try to fit it in.  
Mark

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 07:27:22 PM »
Mark,

Sage Valley is a wonderful golf course.  A great property with lots of roll to it, but not what I would call too "hilly".   I think the guy who built is is part of the Walmart fortune, and they spared no expense.

As mentioned the course played firm and fast when I was there as well.  Which is a testament considering how manicured the place is.  Just a beautiful walk in the park.  

I think many of the caddies may be or have been caddies over at The National (as they call it in these parts).  In fact my caddie that day had caddied at AN for years including being on the winning bag with Seve in 1980 I think it was.  I figured my driving probably wasnt much worse than Seve's was, but my short game couldn't stand up to his scrutiny.

It is kind of remote.  The address is Graniteville, SC.  It is just off of I-20 a few exits north of Augusta.  Definitely check it out if you can.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 06:59:14 AM »
Here is the latest from the Four Corners Region:

The Hideout opens today to begin the 2003 season. Winter was good as the snowpack raised the level of the lake. However, the City has decided to only water tees and greens for the time being. This means GCA-ers might get one of our American dreams — a new hinterland course which runs hard and fast as opposed to one which is as soft as a baby's behind. Fortunately the fairway and rough blends have ample fescues which should take the lack of regular water.

Sorry to report that I hear green fees may go over $20. I think $22. I had previously reported $20, so if you decide to go I will pick up the difference.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »
Perhaps it's just me, but why do I have a strong sense that I'd much prefer playing at The Hideout over Sage Valley??

Perhaps it's the faux Augusta thing going on.  I had dinner with a rather pompous, talkative fellow from there last summer who went on and on all night about how the course was Fazio's masterpiece, and how it was a total shoo-in for Best new course...and was already the best course in South Carolina.

I can't say that I didn't chuckle a bit when it finished something like 8th on GD's list and failed to make the others.  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 08:43:13 PM »
Anyone with a bona fide connection to the media (writer or part-time writer) may be interested in an event on May 15th at The Hideout. "Media Day" as it's billed. Call the City at 435-587-2271 for information. (Green fee is still $20 so my offer to make up the difference is cancelled immediately.)
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 05:33:22 AM »
Sage Valley is the creation of Weldon Wyatt of Aiken, SC.  His connection to Walmart is that of a partnering builder/developer of their network.

I believe his inability to get into Augusta National was the driving force behind Sage Valley.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 05:40:43 AM »
I like that line of reasoning. My inability to get into Augusta was the reason I.....
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2003, 09:54:10 PM »
Indeed Sage Valley
 is the brainchild of Wendall Wyat.  He built it for his friends.  He spared no expense in either the course of the amenitites.  The stren
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2003, 10:00:56 PM »
Excuse me! As a new member of the discussion group I hit the wrong button.  As I was saying, the strengths of Sage Valley have to do with the green complexes.  Like most Fazio courses there is an abundant amount of room off the tee.  The greens, however, are fast, have movement, and are bunkered extremely well.  I was surprised it did not do better in the "best new private" category in Golf Digest.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Franklin

Re:The Hideout Golf Club & Sage Valley?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 11:23:57 AM »
I'll probably be blasted for saying this, but I loved Sage Valley. I have never played AN, but this course was probably as close as any. My caddy was great, my host was great, and the course was a pleasure to play.

As for C&C turning it down, Crenshaw was Mr Wyatt's first choice, but said the property called for a substanial amount of earth moving which wasn't his forte. Ben suggested TF and it was a match made in heaven.

I have noticed that many posters here do not like TF's work, but this one is special. Feel free to blast away. ;D
Mr Hurricane

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 01:21:24 PM »
I'll probably be blasted for saying this, but I loved Sage Valley.

I have noticed that many posters here do not like TF's work, but this one is special. Feel free to blast away. ;D

Mr Hurricane:
Free speach is protected on GCA even when discussion is about Tom Fazio.  
A number of courses built by Fazio are exactly what the developers and club owners wanted, with Shadow Creek and Sage Valley as an examples.  Fazio gets himself in trouble (especially on this web site) when he ventures out of his expertise, such as working on classical courses, Merion,Oakmont,Riveria,ANGC trying to perform his versions of restorations.
Keep the comments coming.

Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 01:32:03 PM »
Joel,

The owners of Sage Valley didn't get all that they wanted.  They assumed it would be a runaway Best New Private (see Cirba's post above - it placed 7th, BTW) for last year (the member echoed the owners' thoughts) and be highly ranked nationally.  Probably another in Fazio's long line of Top 20 courses.

I certainly think that the course is probably very good, but some people have overzealous wishes (and promises, too).  Another future owner/membership coordinator has boasted here of the possibilities of the proposed club by a GCA fave archie, but I seriously doubt it will rank as high as he thinks/wants it to be.  Anything is possible, but only truly unique and special places get high in the rankings with the tradition-laden courses that dominate the lists.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 05:05:40 PM »
They assumed it would be a runaway Best New Private  
Scott:
It happens all the time, at least since I have been a panelist. The best new course is usually a crap shoot unless you have a Sand Hills or Pacific Dunes in the mix.  I had heard a few good things about Sage Valley and considering the money, the staff and Fazio I assumed it had a shot at best new course.  As I have said on this site before, I thought the best new course last year was Whisper Rock in Arizona and it didn't even make the top 10.  Then you have a course in South Carolina by Rees Jones (which I can't even remember the name) goes and wins and I haven't talked with one panelist who even played it???

I assume this year Friars Head would win in a landslide but you never know?  Dallas National could be this years Sage Valley?

dsilk

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2003, 08:09:22 AM »
I believe the course in S.C. by Jones is The Club at Briar's Creek. A low country course similar to Secession.

Niall Hay

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Sage Valley is the creation of Weldon Wyatt of Aiken, SC.  His connection to Walmart is that of a partnering builder/developer of their network.

I believe his inability to get into Augusta National was the driving force behind Sage Valley.

This is the exact story I heard as well.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
Has anyone played Sage Valley as well as Caves Valley?  I'd like to hear how they compare both being top notch Fazio courses.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
Has anyone played Sage Valley as well as Caves Valley?  I'd like to hear how they compare both being top notch Fazio courses.

Mark

They both treat you like a king, but I liked Sage Valley a little better. I have not played Sage Valley in a while, but Caves I play fairly often. It does not get better over time like a lot of great courses.
Mr Hurricane

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
Joel

The Rees Jones course in South Carolina is The Golf Club at Briar's Creek. I have played it and it is wonderful. I have spoken to Rees about it and he indicated that the holes were already there and all he had to do was have them built. I prefer it to all the courses at Kiawah including.....The Ocean Course. I know on this site this reeks of blasphemy but what the hell. I have never been known to be politically correct. You should make it a point to visit Briar's Creek during your next visit to the Charleston area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back