News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re:Barnboogle Dunes
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2004, 08:47:19 PM »
Awesome. That Sitwell Park green is worth the price of a trip Down Under, eh lads?  8) ;D

All The Best,

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Norbert P

Re:BarnboUgle Dunes
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2004, 11:59:21 PM »
 Will dishlickers be allowed onto the course?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 08:39:36 AM »
Slag- I sure hope so, At least for most of the month. There should be about five days where the true pure dishlicker would abstain from golfing because it would give his opponent too much of a dis-advantage. ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 09:48:03 AM by A_Clay_Man »

Erich Jr.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 09:46:48 AM »
Tom, I am glad that you agree with me about the logo.  This place is WAY too special to be stuck with a horrible logo that no one will want to display away from the course.  

Greg if you are out there any chance you can email the other possible logos to get feedback from the treehouse?

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2004, 10:03:03 AM »
All I've got to say is that if I win the Powerball this weekend, I know where I am moving.  

Erich Jr.

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »
Tell you what, if I win the Powerball I will charter a Quantas 747 and take all of the tree house down there myself.  

Can you imagine this entire gang on one plane?  We could have guest lectures throughtout the flight.  Old School and Caddyshack played on the monitors.  All the while getting hammered on the beverage cart.  

Norbert P

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2004, 02:48:09 PM »
... it would give his opponent too much of a dis-advantage.

Adam, are you subtley implying "dish"-advantage?

Thanks for the giggles, your reply was, to me, purely nonsensical and I don't know why I laughed but there it is.

FYI . . .  A dishlicker is a dog in Aussie-speak.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike_Cirba

Re:Barnbougle Dunes
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
I know we're not supposed to care about "the look", but my lord, how freaking good does this "look"?   :o

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2004, 03:26:07 PM »
True enough Mike, but we know from the Pacific Dunes example that there's more "there there" than just the look.

I know there are trials and travails (not to mention travels) even for those who have it all, but can anyone on the planet be having any more fun than the globetrotting Mr. Doak with these wondrous sites he's got?

Best,
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 03:26:57 PM by Doug Wright »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2004, 03:32:59 PM »
Doug;

I completely agree.

One only has to look at the Sitwell Park green or the precariously puny Little Devil green to understand that the details will be well-attended.  

It makes me wonder...of the thousands of courses built by hundreds of architects in the past 30 years, how come virtually NONE of them have had the balls or creativity to create anything as remotely similar or daring as these two greens appear to be?

Doug Wright

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2004, 03:38:04 PM »
Mike,

The good news is there is some color being splashed across the canvas at places like Black Mesa, and hopefully the success of these endeavours leads to less formulaic work en futuro.

Best,

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
Doug;

One of my regrets this year was being unable to make it to the Black Mesa gathering.  

Yes, there is definitely a small, but growing trend moving in a favorable direction.  It just seems that it remains a niche movement when one considers the whole.  

Don't some of these other architects get bored stiff building the same pro-forma greens and holes???

spooky

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2004, 01:02:48 AM »
Tom, I am glad that you agree with me about the logo.  This place is WAY too special to be stuck with a horrible logo that no one will want to display away from the course.  

Greg if you are out there any chance you can email the other possible logos to get feedback from the treehouse?

What does their logo look like?  Is it the logo that is near the bottom left on this page? http://www.barnbougledunes.com/index.asp  If so I think it looks OK.. :)

tonyt

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2004, 04:28:05 PM »
spooky,

That logo will date very quickly. A logo should look classic, not because it is more "posh", but because a classic logo can then remain unchanged for decades. It looks frightfully cheap and more suited to a Florida resort course when compared with the logos of many great courses.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2004, 10:42:09 PM »
RCS
I cant help thinking that the 17th looks very like the second at Montrose , rather than Royal Aberdeen .

Since both of those courses are having a real battle against coastal erosion , Does anyone know how  a modern day built course like Barnbougle Dunes protects itself against such a thing ? .

BE

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2004, 10:58:47 PM »
I was thinking the 17th at Barnbougle looks a lot like #4 at Pacific Dunes only wilder!  We played that one from 440 into the wind, fuggedaboutit!

Big Pete

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2004, 06:44:14 AM »
Tom
I note from your Christmas Update that your favourite holes at Barnbougle Dunes are the par 3 7th , and two par fours along the beach in 9 and 17. Personally I have always thought that the really great courses usually have outstanding short par 4's amongst other attributes . Barnbougle is blessed with 3 such holes in 4 , 12 , and 15 - all different but wonderful . Do you have a favourite?

BagTag

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2004, 09:32:25 AM »
Has anyone heard about this Schneider kid that works for Doak on Barnbougle Dunes?  From these pictures it looks like he might have a bright future.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2004, 09:44:33 AM »
Of course Brian has a bright future.  So does Brian Slawnik, who's been doing the work at St. Andrews Beach, and Eric Iverson, who's helped on both projects.  All three of them were at Cape Kidnappers last winter.

The short par-4's are very important to Barnbougle.   (St. Andrews Beach appears to have some really good ones, too.)  I didn't single one out in my Xmas letter because I don't have a feel yet for which one I'll like the best.  Both the 4th and 12th rely on getting players to think about hitting a driver onto the green ... to be great holes, this has to be a possibility, but difficult to pull off.  It's hard to tell whether we really got this right until they are in play, especially since they are both into the prevailing wind, whose influence is hard to gauge.

BagTag

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2004, 10:22:00 AM »
Thanks Tom.  I also would like to say that Bruce did an excellent restoration job at North Shore GC in Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:22:51 AM by BagTag »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2004, 11:33:24 AM »
That logo will date very quickly. A logo should look classic, not because it is more "posh", but because a classic logo can then remain unchanged for decades. It looks frightfully cheap and more suited to a Florida resort course when compared with the logos of many great courses.

What a pleasure to be able to judge based solely on pictures!

I agree completely with tonyt. Back to the drawing board!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2004, 08:18:09 PM »
Greg, being coastal Northern Tasmania what about a seahorse? You could even get someone to make the letters out of their shapes like the sea lions on the Pacific Dunes logo.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 04:40:04 AM by Mark_Huxford »

spooky

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2004, 08:53:23 PM »
Greg, being costal Northern Tasmania what about a seahorse?
You could even get someone to make the letters out of their shapes like the sea lions on the Pacific Dunes logo.

The Barnbougle homestead which I am pretty sure was situated inbetween those two big trees on the 4th hole, was named after the Barnbougle castle in Scotland.  Maybe a logo incorporating the Barnbougle castle would look good.  Gives it a bit of a classic linksy type feel.. :)

Norbert P

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2004, 02:50:24 AM »

Originating in the 1200's. Family Crest from the Line of Philip de Mowbray(Philip de Mowbray I of Barnbougle, Dalmeny and Inverkeithing), Scotland.

I personally feel that Barnbougle Dunes should define itself with Tasmanian or even Aboriginal art.  Tasmania has been living with a strange history, one developed between dreams of a British past, the present ideas from America, and a search for its own positive identity. Evolving an image away  from its penal colony beginnings, Barnbougle will be a nice addition for that cause.  A respectful logo wouldn't hurt.  

I don't hate the one used now but the place could use a larger statement.  With an interesting but odd name like Barnbougle Dunes, I think the name itself should be prominent - perhaps in an Engravers font and with Tasmania as largely displayed as well.   It's funny how I tell people that I'd like to travel next to Tasmania, they always look bewildered and say something like "Wow, Sounds cool. Why Tasmania? Where's Tasmania? What's in Tasmania?"  What's funny about it is they are always intrigued by the answer of golf (?).  I'm not one to go to a foreign country just to play golf though, the country itself sounds very mysterious and wild.  

I like the seahorse idea as a motif as they are a big part of the region.  I think they even have some kind of seahorse aquarium/museum/expo in Launceston.  

There's a terrific book written by a Tasmanian feller named Peter Conrad called "Behind the Mountain - Return to Tasmania"  and it has some interesting insights into the history, culture and prospects of the little island.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 03:15:48 AM by Slag__Bandoon »

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2004, 05:20:31 AM »
It's called "Seahorse World" Slag. It came up once when I did a search for Barnbougle. That's what made me think of it. Beauty Point, Tassie. Between Devonport and Launceston.

http://www.seahorseworld.com.au

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back