News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

A meeting of like minds?
« on: January 02, 2004, 12:23:09 AM »
I will be leaving Australia for the UK, via the USA in June/July.  

I hope to play quite a number of courses in the UK end July and into August, from Dornoch out to Macrihanish, then down to England and Notts, Royal North Devon and Royal West Norfolk, Porthcawl, Ashridge, Royal Worlington and a few others, and finish off with a little bit of heathland for relaxation purposes.  Are there any GCA's interested in a meeting/walk around about that time?  I haven't set too much in stone as of yet, so anything goes.

It is true that I am still technically a Chef and therefore an unmitigated prick, but by July I will have a degree and will of course be a much more sane and lovable individual.  At least my mother hopes I will be.

I will be travelling via the USA primarily to buy some golf and camera gear, but it would be nice to meet any posters in the US for a talk and a beer.  

I may be going out on a limb here, but what the heck, is there anyone here that is a member or would be willing to take me around a classic Donald Ross or William Flynn layout, or one of the other classics in the North east?  Please note, by take me around, I mean walking, NOT playing.  Honestly.  

I will be getting more than enough golf in the UK, I don't know where I'm going to buy my gear, and I wouldn't expect someone I've never met to introduce me to their club.  Hopefully just walking around one to look at the architecture would be a different matter.

Iwould love to be able to further my knowledge by talking with someone, really pulling apart a course,  maybe have a chat with the super or club historian if you are on good terms with them.

If you're nice to me, I might even show you how to make a really great Lasagne, or Chesapeake Crab Quenelles steamed in Lemongrass Broth with a green paw-paw and Scallop salad, if you'd prefer.

ed_getka

Re:A meeting of like minds?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:22:55 PM »
Mark,
  Will you be traveling in the U.S. or just staying in the NE?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark_F

Re:A meeting of like minds?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 10:15:53 PM »
Ed,

That all depends.  I assume that many of the courses worth studying are in the NE, but I haven't set any sort of itinerary yet.  I could go pretty much anywhere on the East coast, except Florida, because there's too much bloody sun.  I assume most of the major airports on the East coast of the US fly to Ireland/Scotland?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back