News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Ojai Valley Golf
« on: January 01, 2004, 06:08:24 PM »
Can anyone offer any information on the golf course at the Ojai Valley resort these days?  I'm sure Tommy knows this course inside and out.  I am a big fan of George Thomas courses (played La Cumbre, Bel Air and LA North in college matches) but have never played at Ojai.

My wife is coming to California with me during the KP III festivities although she will stay in Santa Barbara that weekend.  The next Thursday and Friday we will stay at the Ojai resort and have tee times those days if anyone is interested in joining us.  

I'm interested in learning as much as possible about the course in advance as possible.  Thanks for any input.

Forrest Richardson

Re:Ojai Valley Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 09:34:23 PM »
I heard it was under severe renovation/changing. Played it a few years back and was amused. Did not care for some of the changes, but realized that they were necessary for a variety of reasons which I cannot recall now. Too bad there are so many parallel holes leading away from the clubhouse. Back and forth and back and forth and...
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 10:21:21 PM »
Forrest: "amused"?  The revisions were funny?  Appreciate your input but please elaborate.  Thanks.  Since I don't know much about the original, it will be hard to understand the revisions.  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 12:39:22 AM »
Tommy would be a resource to tell about the original.

I recall some recent changes toward the last holes which were based on historic photos, but seemed overdone. The clubhouse/resort/range area had really screwed up a few holes. I was told this had simply "happened" over the years.
I have been led to believe that much of this is being fixed.

Funny was not what I meant...amused in the sense that I do have fun when I play and was entertained by some of the holes and seeing some of the problems.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 01:45:12 AM »
Bill you need to do some serious talking with the folks in the golf shop at Ojai.  The Hotel is mostly closed through the renovation process.  The golf course is open, carts only, no range and operating out of trailers at the 9th tee.  I here the renovation process is well behind schedule.  A couple of holes were compromised when I last played there in June.
Ordinarily a beautiful setting for golf, the Morrish-Weiskopf renovation from several years back modernized the course and took away much of the George Thomas "look".  The routing is largely intact, but little of Thomas is left.  If you like playing a well maintained course in a pretty setting, you should see it.  Just don't expect it to look like a classic course.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 03:03:18 AM »
Panhandle Bill,
I love Ojai, but unfortuantely have to agree with Lynn regarding the changes made to the course. While trying to not name people, Director of Golf, Mark Greenslit (Whoops!) is now making changes to the course on his direction, and doing them under the guise of "I'm better then George C. Thomas."

On a personal level, The people who have ruined Edward Libbey's dream course, should be lined-up against a wall and beaten with a stick. they are:

-Mark Greenslit
-Jay Moorish
-Carter Moorish
-Billy Bell Jr.

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.
-

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 12:00:59 PM »
Tommy, you need to loosen up and show your true feelings!  ;D   We need to go somewhere to play those days but maybe up to La Purisma.  I don't know what Ojai looked like before so couldn't really compare to what's there now.  Will have to think this one over!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 12:18:52 PM »
Tommy,

In its original form, was Ojai one of the best courses in California?  The pictures from Thomas' and Hunter's books make it look like a thrilling place to play golf.  I have kept up, for the most part, on what everyone has said about the place recently (including Crenshaw's finding of the old third hole) and it dismays me to hear that it has been compromised.  

Just how good was it, in your opinion?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 02:19:20 PM »
Bill,
   Tommy, Lynn, and Davids Kelly and Moriarty could make good recommendations in that area. There is a Ranch something or other course over that way I think that a few guys have had good things to say about.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 02:52:14 PM »
Bill - Ed might be referring to Rancho San Marcos GC - it's not really near Ojai, except relatively (ie it sure is coming from FL!).  It's over the hill from Santa Barbara.  I liked the course a lot but it would have to be among the LEAST walkable courses on this planet.  Still, lots of interest and damn fine golf holes... definitely worth seeing... as is La Purisima and heck, Sandpiper, as you know!

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »
Ed,

I knew you were referring to Rancho San Marcos (claim to fame is the Buick commercial driving around a golf course shown ad mauseam 2 1/2 years ago), but I just had to bust your chops on this!  

Saying a course in California has "Ranch" in the title is like saying the city you can't remember from CA had some form of "San" in it! (or like saying a course in Florida has "Lake" in it.)  ;D

From golfcourse.com, there are 70 course entries in CA with some form of "Ranch" in it - and there are 131 entries from FL with "Lake" in it!   :o
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 03:13:49 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 01:35:17 AM »
Bill, you don't need to worry.  Ojai Valley Inn will be an enjoyable golf experience.  It is a beautiful setting, but it is not a classic golf course.  Spend most of your time in Santa Barbara.  Play Sandpiper, you are right on the old blue Pacific.  There are 350 restaurants in Santa Barbara area.  Don't bother with La Purisma or Rancho San Marcos.  Play Sandpiper, eat afterwards at the Beachside Grill and Bar in Goleta.  You are right on the sand.  Or The Palace in Santa Barbara, best cajun food west of the Rockies.  Even play the muny in Santa Barbara, and then enjoy the restaurant scene.  And just in case you know someone older than 75 there is The Valley Club.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back