News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Did the Golden Age 'Jump the Shark' with the Lido?
« on: December 20, 2003, 02:58:38 PM »
When I first heard of the  Lido, my reaction was similar (I think) to many here . . . what a shame it's gone . . . as good as NGLA and PV . . . the greatest architectural and construction achievement ever . . . another MacDonald monument . . . etc.

But as I've read and thought about it more, I must confess that my opinion has changed for the worse.  I just cant see that the Lido represented much of anything that was good for golf, then or now.  Sure it was built by a "Golden Age" legend, but wasnt it contrary to much for what Golden Age stood?   Think about it.  The Lido was:
-- shoehorned into a piece of property that by all accounts was inhospitable to golf.  
-- built with complete disregard for he lay of the land, in a location chosen not for its proximity to people rather than its golfing potential.
-- built at an outrageous financial cost, enough to build 10s or maybe 100s of courses on better land, which was still readily available.
-- built with disregard for the economic and social realities of the time.    
-- built on soil inhospitable to growing anything.
-- created only by the means of massive earth movement.
-- chosen in part for its proximity to a beach, as part of a resort.

Moreover, the course represents Man's ultimate arrogance: That given  enough money and the proper technology, man can impose his will on nature and not only duplicate it, but better it.  

I know that chronologically, great courses were built after the Lido, but symbolically, the Lido seems to represent values which would undermine the Golden Age, or at least repress it for a very long time.

Do you agree or disagree?   Did "Golden Age Architecture" jump the shark with the Lido?

Other than representing another example of great MacDonald/Raynor strategy, is there anything positive about the legacy of the Lido?

[As was explained to me not so long ago, "jumping the shark" is a term used to describe the event which symbolizes the beginning of an inevitable decline or demise--  Named for the dreaded Happy Days episode where Fonzie tried to jump the shark tank.]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 03:00:19 PM by DMoriarty »

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Did the Golden Age 'Jump the Shark' with the Lido?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 04:11:13 PM »
DMoriarty,
As was explained to me not so long ago, "jumping the shark" is a term used to describe the event which symbolizes the beginning of an inevitable decline or demise

I don't think you can blame Lido as golf was on the decline from WW1. There were nearly 1,000 more courses in 1930 than there were in 1946 and it wasn't until 1958 that the number of golf courses reached 1930 levels.
The boom in modern times really kicked off in 1959. There were as many courses constructed in that one year alone as there were in the previous 12.

Small supply and huge demand was more the culprit, not Lido.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 04:31:01 PM »
Jim, I figured that answer was coming, as that is the conventional wisdom and as far as I know, entirely correct.  Nonetheless, I am not really after a historical account of the the decline of golf in the middle of this century . . .

Rather, I am talking more symbolically I guess, suggesting that with the Lido, the Golden Age had lost its way.  

Perhaps 'jump the shark' isnt the quite correct term, but I am sticking with it, because in my mind the Lido may be the point where the "golden age" betrayed its values and sold out.  

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 05:03:45 PM »
DM,
I know that chronologically, great courses were built after the Lido, but symbolically, the Lido seems to represent values which would undermine the Golden Age, or at least repress it for a very long time.

By all that I have read or been shown, Lido was a one-of-a-kind deal. If Lido despoiled the GA then when was the "next" Lido built? Could it have taken 3/4's of a century? Was it Shadow Creek? How can your supposition have any real weight if great courses were still being built after Lido, these same courses still expressed the perceived values of the GA and the modern era of courses didn't really begin until after WW11 when many of these GA architects had passed away?  
To paraphrase: 'Twas old age killed the Golden Age

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 05:52:10 PM »
DMoriarty,
When I first heard of the  Lido, my reaction was similar (I think) to many here . . . what a shame it's gone . . . as good as NGLA and PV . . . the greatest architectural and construction achievement ever . . . another MacDonald monument . . . etc.

But as I've read and thought about it more, I must confess that my opinion has changed for the worse.  I just cant see that the Lido represented much of anything that was good for golf, then or now.  Sure it was built by a "Golden Age" legend, but wasnt it contrary to much for what Golden Age stood?

NO.
NGLA and other CBM, SR and CB courses were manufactured.

Think about it.  The Lido was:
-- shoehorned into a piece of property that by all accounts was inhospitable to golf.

Reclamation of unuseable or inhospitable property was common.  NGLA's land was swamp and inhospitable in areas.
Yale's was likewise all rock and inhospitable as well.

built with complete disregard for he lay of the land, in a location chosen not for its proximity to people rather than its golfing potential.

there was no disregard for lay of the land.  The course was built on a good deal land that was underwater and unuseable for anything else

built at an outrageous financial cost, enough to build 10s or maybe 100s of courses on better land, which was still readily available.

Yale was also built at great cost.  Lido was part of a grander project.  Since when is the cost to build a great course a negative if the cost is easily affordable by the backers ?

Some of the backers were Roger Winthrop President of Piping Rock, Paul Kravath, Thomas Cuyler, Cornelius Vanderbilt,
Robert Goelet, Charles Sabin, Henry Bull, Forbes Morgan,
James Stillman, Harry Payne Whitney, and Otto Kahn, some of the wealthiest men in America.

built with disregard for the economic and social realities of the time.

Just the opposite is true.
In 1914-1918 the intent was to attract a wealthy INTERNATIONAL membership.  The club was to have a grand hotel with hundreds of rooms, a world class golf course, tennis, equestrian, fishing, and shooting facilities, all located on the beach, the Atlantic Ocean, with swimming, etc., etc..  It would only be a short distance from Manhattan and would be the supreme social club for sportsmen

NGLA was viewed as the supreme club in America, but it was remote and took an effort, and time to get there.
Lido would be much more convenient to Manhantan the financial epicenter of America

built on soil inhospitable to growing anything.

I disagree on this too.  SAND is one of the most desireable soil conditions on which to build a golf course and grow grass.

One could make the case that The Creek was built on worse land.  Low lying, subject to tidal surges, often flooded.

A good portion of NGLA's land was swamp too{/b]

And, Yale was mostly solid rock, hardly ideal for growing anything.

created only by the means of massive earth movement.

So was Yale and NGLA at the green ends

chosen in part for its proximity to a beach, as part of a resort.

Would this disqualify Friar's Head, Maidstone, Seminole, Pebble Beach, Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes  ?

Moreover, the course represents Man's ultimate arrogance: That given  enough money and the proper technology, man can impose his will on nature and not only duplicate it, but better it.

That's not arrogance, but a victory of man's dreams, of  imagination and determination.

Not true.
Look at NGLA, and Piping Rock, built before Lido and highly representative of "the Golden Age", Lido was a natural progression.

If you read George Bahto's "The Evangelist of Golf" I think you'll come to the same conclusion.

Do you agree or disagree?   Did "Golden Age Architecture" jump the shark with the Lido?

Disagree

Other than representing another example of great MacDonald/Raynor strategy, is there anything positive about the legacy of the Lido?

Read "The Evangelist of Golf" and the answer becomes self evident.

[As was explained to me not so long ago, "jumping the shark" is a term used to describe the event which symbolizes the beginning of an inevitable decline or demise--  Named for the dreaded Happy Days episode where Fonzie tried to jump the shark tank.]

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 11:36:04 PM »
David,
I agree with a lot some of what Pat is saying, as well as Jim Kennedy was right--this was an effort that could probably be compared to Shadow Creek on the scale of money spent, but as far as construction, reclaiming sand from the waterway and pumping it on to the site, as well as creating all of the features neccessary for golf, Lido to me was a miracle for that time and age. (There are some fact that I do somewhat disagree with Pat.)

NGLA is a golf course that evolved around the nature of that site--just the perfect amount of earth was moved to create her. To call it manufactured would be true, I woud equate it to more of a World Class Massage.

Growing grass in sand was a tough thing and if it wasn't for Peter Lees, the Lido wouldn't have had it growing, stuck in the same situation as NGLA before it. That was the key to Lido--an agrononomist that knew how to grow grasses on this unfingbelievable golf site.

But that's what I think of it.

And to everyone, David has the book, and I know what he is getting at in regards to this point--there is validity to it. But from a design standpoint, I'll pit Lido against the overated Shadow Creek anyday. You really owe it to yourself to talk with Uncle George for a few three hours to really understand what existed there.

Long Live Lido! Here! Here!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 12:05:03 AM »
Tommy Naccarato,
David,
I agree with a lot some of what Pat is saying, as well as Jim Kennedy was right--this was an effort that could probably be compared to Shadow Creek on the scale of money spent, but as far as construction, reclaiming sand from the waterway and pumping it on to the site, as well as creating all of the features neccessary for golf, Lido to me was a miracle for that time and age. (There are some fact that I do somewhat disagree with Pat.)

NGLA is a golf course that evolved around the nature of that site--just the perfect amount of earth was moved to create her. To call it manufactured would be true, I woud equate it to more of a World Class Massage.

".....Macdonald uncovered a 450 acre tract adjacent to the Shinnecock Hills course.  The property had been looked upon as WHOLLY ILL SUITED FOR ANY DEVELOPMENT-
A WORTHLESS MESS OF BRAMBLES, SWAMPY AREAS, AND MURKY BOGS.  IN FACT, SO LITTLE OF THE LAND COULD BE EXPLORED ON FOOT IT WAS NECESSARY TO USE PONIES"

You may want to reassess your understanding of the property that NGLA was built on.  It was hostile, and ill suited for a golf course, but CBM saw that with man's hand he could eliminate the swamps, bogs and brambles and create a great golf course on a gorgeous stretch of waterfront, which is not unlike Lido, and he moved plenty of dirt in building each manufactured green site.

Growing grass in sand was a tough thing and if it wasn't for Peter Lees, the Lido wouldn't have had it growing, stuck in the same situation as NGLA before it. That was the key to Lido--an agrononomist that knew how to grow grasses on this unfingbelievable golf site.

But that's what I think of it.

And to everyone, David has the book, and I know what he is getting at in regards to this point--there is validity to it. But from a design standpoint, I'll pit Lido against the overated Shadow Creek anyday.

Ocean front property has more then a slight advantage over a desert flood plain.  And, the intent behind building both courses was different.  One was to attract the international set of sportsmen, the other was meant to attract noone, but rather, a special perk to prefered customers of Steve Wynn's.

You really owe it to yourself to talk with Uncle George for a few three hours to really understand what existed there.

Long Live Lido! Here! Here!

Sadly, Lido could never be built today

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 09:01:45 AM »
"Perhaps 'jump the shark' isnt the quite correct term, but I am sticking with it, because in my mind the Lido may be the point where the "golden age" betrayed its values and sold out."

The Lido betrayed the values of the Golden Age? What were the "values" of the Golden Age of golf architecture in 1914 (when Lido was begun) anyway?

The real problem with The Lido wasn't one of "jumping the shark" architecturally it was basically one of very poor timing. The course was begun just as the World was entering into WW1 and the Course opened in 1917 as the US entered WW1. That was a time in America when all golf course construction and actually even the playing of the game stopped for perhaps 20 or so months! The timing for the Lido couldn't have been worse and when it was initially conceived perhaps four years earily that couldn't have been easily forseen. The real problem with the Lido was the original investors in the course sold out to a development company just after WW1 before the golf course had the time to come into its own. From this early glitch the Lido basically never recovered. Basically the Lido was built but it never had the chance to open properly. This sad saga is completely covered by Macdonald in "Scotland's Gift Golf" on pages 242-244.

I think it's pretty hard to say the values of the Golden Age of architecture in America were betrayed by the Lido because other than just a few seminal golf courses (PVGC, NGLA, Merion East, Piping Rock, Myopia, GCGC, Oakmont etc) at the time the Lido was begun the Golden Age of architecture had really not even begun! The vast majority of the Golden Age of golf architecture in America was from about 1919 until about 1930-31!  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 11:06:07 AM »
redanman,
And Lido could not be built in the USA USA USA, but somewhere in the world, yes.

It would have to be on the Atlantic, NO ?

It is interesting to note that we did not destroy the planet with the first go-round of swamp-filling and sand-pumping back in those Golden Days.

This may be the most profound statement you've made to date, and in complete harmony with the golf course thread,
"Are environmental issues a joke ?

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 11:20:44 AM »
More Lido:

Lido was 1914-1917 just barely at the beginning of the Golden Age .... as Tom stated, so how could it have been a sellout.

It was just a circumstance of wrong timing - not by anyone, it was the war. The investors focused on the war effort and the Lido was left to survive on its own.

After the war, a depression - that was the next problem. The impetus diminished dramatically. The course stayed intact for a pretty long while until they got in trouble financially and had to sell off the ocean holes - that was the beginning of the end.

But well before that when the Lido Club hotel was built in 1928 there was a move to get the project reestablished. Things looked pretty good for a while but then the depression of ‘29 really blew a hole in the project.

I’ve only published a small portion of what I have on the entire Lido story and would like to publish a book about the Lido one day but I doubt if it would sell. .... (we do have some publishing problems these days). I’ve uncovered a mother-lode of info and pictures recently and we’ll wait and see where it all goes.

Interestingly, and a little known part of the overall story of Lido, was that it was just a portion of an overall plan to develop the entire sandbar of Long Beach into a playground similar to what had been done at Coney Island but on a more grand scale.

The Lido course, aside from the strategic holes on the course (and many of them were excellent examples) was that the wind was such a major factor and when it was up, it was very difficult to score.

I’ve also spoken at length with a person whose father actually owned Lido at two different times - once during its major demise and then again when he purchased from the Government after the war. This persons father actually was the one who hired RTJ to built the present Lido cours.

I had the honor and privilege of interviewing the great Gene Sarazen a year before he died, hoping to get an insight on the course from someone who actually played it. It was a wonderful conversation but unfortunately he was more interested in what had happened to his old “hangout”, The Knoll, and just touched a bit on Lido. Apparently he had not had a lot of success at playing Lido over the years and it sounded like he thought the wind may have been too much of a factor ...... he also was not very excited
about NGLA - thought there were “too many blind shots.”  The few minutes we spoke will forever be a highlight for me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:21:08 AM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 11:27:41 AM »
I often wonder just how good Lido was. If it was really so spectacular why then was it so spectacularly neglected?

If it was such a superior sportsmen's club/oasis, why did the investors sell out? Arguably if it was as good as reported, wouldn't they have stayed in (at any cost?).

I understand the war had a large impact, but certainly that wouldn't have prevented the well heeled from simply returning later to enjoy the course once again. Other clubs faced similar wartime predicaments (e.g., Seminole) but they persevered. Why didn't Lido? Something is amiss. If it was such a spectacular place it presumably would be worth the effort and money to protect it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 11:37:40 AM »
It is interesting to note that we did not destroy the planet with the first go-round of swamp-filling and sand-pumping back in those Golden Days.

It is interesting to note that no one has ever said that we have destroyed the planet with the first go-round of swamp-filling and sand-pumping back in those Golden Days.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:38:34 AM by jim_kennedy »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 11:48:32 AM »
Sean, I think yours is the same of David's original question--was it really that good?

Trying to offer proof would be hard other then looking at the artificats (remnants, pictures and words) of the course from when it opened. Why it didn't work was simply because the land had too much value at the worst imaginable times as far as golf was concerned. The timing just sucked.

Q:What is the one thing that a New York resident can look at today and say--this place must have been special?
A: The hotel.

Even today, the hotel screams of a greatness that once existed--why would it even still be standing if it didn't? Why, there is even still beach there where parts or entire holes (the 7th, 8th, 9th, & 18th) once existed, but it more then likely has just melted away.

But I think you do bring a great point, and its one that says, much more defined research needs to be handled on the politics of why Lido was left for dead--I'll almost guarantee it Robert Moses name will come into somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:49:47 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 11:58:11 AM »
Tommy - I don't think that David's question and mine are the same. He seems to be asking whether Lido was antithetical to the golden age.

I'm merely asking why, if the course was so good, was it permitted to disintegrate, especially in view of the players involved.

Could the answer be that maybe it wasn't that good? I don't know, but it seems at least plausible.

Tommy - I just thumbed through The Power Broker, Caro's masterful biography of Moses, and saw nothing. A decent rule of thumb I've found in reading Caro's work is: if Caro didn't cover it, it didn't happen.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 12:30:17 PM »
SPDB,

You can't compare what happened at Seminole and other clubs to what happened to Lido.

Seminole doesn't serve dinner, thus keeping costs down.
Lido had enormous non-golf related overhead, which was part of its undoing

What you're missing is that it wasn't the War in a global sense that set back the use of the golf course, but that the NAVY commandeered the golf course as a base from 1942 to 1949.
The Navy still retains some of the land that the original oceanside holes were on.

The golf course that emerged and re-opened in 1949 was substantially altered from the original.  It wasn't the same golf course, which you might not have been aware of.
The original had been mostly destroyed by 1949.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2003, 12:48:01 PM »
Sean,
I just thumbed through Scotland's Gift Golf and it pretty much describes the destruction of Lido in terms of urban sprawl, high tides and total mismanagment.

So, yes, it may have not been much of a golf course as it was when it first opened, as well as never ever really given the chance to mature.

Did it make it less of a golf course? Given the taste and style of MacDonald and Raynor, where we can only picture what the holes may have played like when looking at photos? (You know, "speculating") I don't think so. From the aerial poto I have, it was an amazing place and one of the Games most tragic loses. A failure that only hurts the Game. You can read it in MacDonald's words over the dismay of seeing the course in decline from mismanagment.

T_MacWood

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2003, 12:54:12 PM »
Forgive the length of this post...I'll post a Cliff notes version for BillV.

David
It is an interesting question, but I suppose it depends upon what you believe the golden age designers stood for.

IMO it is a mistake to associate a political or social agenda with the designs or designers of that period. The Arts and Crafts Movement (which had an influence upon the direction of golf design) was part artistic movement part social movement, unfortunately the social movement (which promoted socialism) was its down fall. From its beginning many of the artists had difficulty with the political aspects of the movement, and many others practioners rejected its political overtones over time.... thankfully.

We are all richer with extravagant works like Greene and Greene's Gamble House, FL Wright's Fallingwater, Voysey's Broadleys, Lutyen's Deanery Garden, Mackintosh's Hill House, etc. Like wise we were richer for Lido (Darwin thought it superior to NGLA), unfortunately it did not survive.

No doubt Lido was a tight property, but so were Wannamoisett, Inverness, Shoreacres, Scioto, Bayside, Winged Foot and countless others designed by Ross, MacKenzie, Tillie, Emmet, etc..

Inhospitable? Perhaps it was a sandy swampy property by the sea....but after all the game was born by the sea, that is where the architectural prototypes were found. No doubt it was a mammoth task preparing the site for golf and in essence restoring the natural dunescape. But on the other hand I would prefer a seaside course built on artificial dunes to a seaside course built upon a mud flat...that doesn't sound too appealing. I certainly would not put Macdonald in the minimalist camp...IMO he would definitely ignore the lay of the land if the land was laying there like a mud flat. In fact I don't know too many so called golden agers who wouldn't have ignored the land in this case....architects like Raynor, Alison, Thompson, Thomas, Langford, Strong, MacKenzie, Ross etc. would have done something similar (or nothing at all).

The strength of these lay of the landers was not their complete refusal to move land, but their ability to recognize and utilize natural features, and to create man-made features that enhanced the natural. I agree it is unwise to ignore Nature (arrogant if you like)...but I've never considered Macdonald or Lido as examples of this problem. It seems to me he embraced Nature, and in this case re-establishing a natural environment (with the help of money and technology...IMO there is nothing inherently wrong/evil with money or technology).

I disagree with Pat, equating the NGLA to Lido from a construction view point. Macdonald  himself wrote (as did Travis) about the construction of the NGLA (before, during and after) and unless you believe Macdonald is a liar, that golf course was definitely a lay of the land design, CB took great pains to utilize the natural feature of the site.

There were a number of courses built on difficult sites, all quite expensive--Pine Valley, Timber Point, Banff, Jasper, Yale, Oyster Harbors, Ponte Vedra, Indian Creek, Tokyo off the top of my head. Regarding the social and economic realities of the time, my read it was a very prosperous time, and I don't believe the architects of that era were all that focused on social issues. Robert Hunter, a socialist prior to getting into golf design, died an intelligent conservative afterward. Their focus IMO was upon their craft, both artistically and strategically.

Some of the positives of Lido: Growing grass upon sand was a problem--Pine Valley, NGLA and Lido were grass growing experiments that helped down the road and the suction dredge method developed at Lido was utilized at Timber Point, Sea Island, Colony and I believe Sharp Park (to name a few).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 01:01:57 PM by Tom MacWood »

T_MacWood

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2003, 12:55:07 PM »
BillV
Blondes, brunettes and redheads....it takes all kinds!

George_Bahto

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2003, 12:56:01 PM »
It still comes down to the founders and the money men losing interest and the course itself just starting to
drift and deteriorate after the war. I think some of it may have been that Peter Lees, who was to stay on as super, left to go on to other jobs - so with him gone I’m certain the conditioning of the course deteriorated. He went on to super’s jobs at a couple Raynor courses that I know of and I think he built a couple courses also.

Might it also be a factor, like the Bandon Dunes courses, the wind kept messing with the course. The Ocean hole was usually a mess and finally the green got undermined by the sea and was moved.

As far as it being a great course .....  If anyone of you have ever had the pleasure of reading through the old Golf Illustrated and American Golfer magazines you would have seen lists, like today ..... “which in your opinion are the great courses of today: the usual question  ...   Lido was always there with the best of them even though these lists were usually someone’s opinion rather than a consensus of writers (or
“raters”).

For its day it was a very long course - 6693 in 1923.

I have one of the Ralph Kennedy scorecards (8/6/1923) - and Ralph was a pretty good golfer, usually shooting in the low 80's. He shot 99 and 96 and had a lot of trouble on the Long hole #17(an 8 and a 7) and was 6 over on the Biarritz for two rounds. He made just 3 pars for the day: 2 on the Eden hole #3 and one on the short Knoll hole ..... guess the wind was blowing.

And Tommy is right  (:P ..... hah ......) big case of mismanagement, not in the beginning but as time went on. Also remember this was an "investment project" for these founders .... guess they were not getting the return given the overheard (for those who do not know, the hotel - the Lido Club - was built about 10 years after the course because of the war etc)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 12:57:10 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2003, 01:24:55 PM »
Tom MacWood,

I disagree with Pat, equating the NGLA to Lido from a construction view point.

I never equated the scope of the construction, only that both sites were inhospitable and both courses manufactured, Lido almost entirely, and NGLA, heavily at the greensites.

Macdonald  himself wrote (as did Travis) about the construction of the NGLA (before, during and after) and unless you believe Macdonald is a liar, that golf course was definitely a lay of the land design, CB took great pains to utilize the natural feature of the site.

It may not have been the only time CBM contradicted himself

Macdonald himself also stated that the NGLA was ill suited for any type of development, that the property was full of swamps, bogs and brambles and that he needed horses to traverse it.

Only after the swamps were drained and/or filled, the bogs drained and/or filled, did the land become developable, which is exactly what happened at Lido.

What natural features existed at Lido, other then the Atlantic Ocean and Beach ?

At NGLA, tell me what green is natural ?

The greens at NGLA are probably the most constucted set of greens that you'll ever run across.
One only has to stand behind each one to recognize how artificial and totally manufactured they are.

SPDB

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2003, 01:25:47 PM »
Pat -I am familiar with the history of Lido.

Hundreds of private structures, and countless acreage of private land was comandeered during the war. That didn't prevent subsequent use following the war. I just wonder why there was no interest.

But as George points out, it appears to be a dollars and cents issue. That's only partially helpful, because a large number of the investors were fabulously wealthy people. I don't mean to imply that that automatically means they would waste money on an investment, but if the course was so spectacular, wouldn't there have been more interest to continue with the course after the war?

Was Lido private or public (in the sense that it was open to the guests)?

My own pet theory is that if it were public, perhaps the swells from the North Shore were simply tired of mixing with the hoi polloi, and found that they were much more comfortable in the private confines off of Piping Rock and Lattingtown Roads. In which case, the course may have been spectacular, but the patrons were the problem.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 01:28:37 PM by SPDB »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2003, 01:35:01 PM »
SPDB,

Seven years is an awfully long time for people to remain loyal to a facility.

When the Russian Tea Room was closed for but a year for enormous renovations, when it re-opened they found out that their customer base had moved on to other restaurants, hence the restaurant never recaptured their original clientele.

The overhead that Lido had was enormous, remember all of the facilities that were associated with the club.  The cost to maintain them during and after the depression, and then through a seven year closure made survival of the club almost impossible.

Remember too, that these financial problems resulted in the selling off of the land that some of the best holes were on, and from there, it was the begining of the end.

The course that emerged in 1949 bore no resemblance to the original.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2003, 02:00:29 PM »
I'm from New York and Long Island as were my mother and my grandparents and those before them so I have a pretty clear impression of what was going on back then.

The Lido golf course definitely did not fail because there was something wrong with its architecture or the golf course was not as good as was reported at that time. I have no doubt when Lido was built it was instantly in the top 2-5 golf courses in America as was reported back then and rightly so.

The sole reasons the Lido did not survive are for those very reasons reported above--the timing of the entire Lido project was very poor! The Lido happened to be in an area that was not populated by those principals who built the course as was Piping Rock or even Shinnecock and NGLA.

The principals who built the entire Lido project (hotel and course) were practically the same ones from Piping Rock and many of them later were the princpals of The Creek Club. In that world back then almost every one of those type of people (those principals) lived in NYC in the winter and in the summer they populated the North Shore of LI and also the Hamptons. None of them lived in the vicinity of what became know as Lido Beach--where the Lido GC was.

The Lido was and always would've been a distant destination for them (and their friends) compared to those other clubs and courses mentioned which were in the very midst of where they lived during particular seasons. This was definitely not the case with The Lido!

One could probably legitimately ask what Roger Winthrop and his fellow principals thought the eventual purpose of Lido would be but we do know the "club" arm of the Lido basically never got off the ground.

Those same principals created the Lido Corporation initially which built the hotel and the entire 200 acre tract that included the 115 acre golf course. The "club" entity of the Lido planned to lease the golf course from the Lido Corporation (again, the principals of the Lido Corporation and the expected "club" of the Lido golf course were the very same people--Winthrop, Otto Kahn, Paul Cravath, De Witt Cuyler, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Robert Goelet, J.A. Stillman et al). I can tell you right now that group WAS all part of the heaviest hitters in New York at that time!

But again, The Lido ran into really poor timing for the reasons mentioned above. Just because almost all their other clubs survived the Wars and the depression does not indicate that the golf architecture of their other clubs was better than the Lido--nothing of the kind.

If you want to know the absolute historical truth of the Lido insofar as those original principals were concerned and why they walked away from it and why ultimately The Lido did not survive was The Lido was just not in the right place for them and the times threw them a real curve ball.

So they sold it out to a real estate company early on who never took care of the course and who obviously didn't have the same interest and understanding of the course as they did. But the golf course was built and it was truly magnificent in every way (it's pretty hard to deny the truth of what those who saw it back then said about it) but the club basically never happened.

Again, this has nothing to do with the quality of the golf architecture.

And in my opinion, David Moriarty's entire premise here that the expense and earth moving of The Lido in some way "jumped the shark" and sold out the values of the American "Golden Age of golf architecture" has no truth to it whatsoever.

In my opinion, the premise of this entire thread is the same thing as attempting to put a square peg in a round hole.

The Lido's golf course failed because the timing of the project was poor combined with what the entire project was supposed to be--a great golf course coupled with a hotel--and both of them were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

None of that had a thing to do with the quality of the Lido as a golf course or the quality of The Lido's architecture.

SPDB

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2003, 02:53:30 PM »
Tom - Do you know why the hitters didn't just sell the hotel and non-golf course property to the developers, while keeping the spectacular golf course for themselves?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 03:07:59 PM »
SPDB,

That's a good question.

I believe that selling off the Ocean front property was an attempt by the new owners to stop the financial bleeding, but perhaps TEPaul and George Bahto can supply a more thorough answer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back