News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Essig

Re: Width--what does it mean?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
It has been 10 years since this thread ended, but reading Richard Choi's current photo tour of Oakland Hills and seeing the pictures of a few holes of Donald Ross' original layout on page 3 of Richard’s thread got me thinking about WIDTH.

Richard Choi's thread is at http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56801.50.html

I opted to continue this thread, instead of sidetracking Richard's and instead of starting a new one, partly to give context to a discussion on width.  Again, this original discussion was in 2003, and as you can read, it was a rather short discussion.  

In the original DR configuration (on page 3 of Richard’s thread), you can see many, many bunkers were within the fairway lines.  The internal bunkers are almost all gone, along with the width; I can only guess at the hands of the USGA and Rees Jones.  Oakland Hills appears to have withstood the USGA and Rees Jones efforts, apparently based on the beauty and genius of Ross' greens.  But, looking at that Ross layout made me start thinking about what it would have been like if width was still part of the course.

As was stated by Mucci in the original 2003 thread and his opinion affirmed by TE Paul, "WIDTH is more important, when features/hazards are within, not outside the fairway lines."  I agree with both of them.  As I said previously, those features existed in the DR original layout, but are since almost entirely gone.

At the time of this original thread, C&C, Doak and others architects had recently reintroduced width back into the game at universally acclaimed gems like Sand Hills and Pac Dunes.  They have continued to include width at their courses.  (All of their courses?)  I see width as a good thing, but understand that wind is an issue at the SH and PD courses and width becomes a necessity.  

I have never played SH, so I will only speak to Pac Dunes, and say that Pac Dunes could have been much narrower if TD had so chosen, but IMO the course would have lost a lot of its character, playability and enjoyment, and in addition, it would have been an unbearable challenge without the width.  Also, despite being very wide, my playing partners and I still manage to miss fairways and land in fairway bunkers when there is no wind; which begs the question, is it really “wide” or just right (or do I need to practice more)?

In contrast to SH and PD, Oakland Hills is a parkland course where width would not be seen as a necessity.  However, DR thought it appropriate in his design to include width.

My above thoughts and observations are the context which gives rise to my many questions:
- “Is there a still a purpose for width on a parkland course with modern equipment?"  I would love to hear from John Percival, a member at Oakland Hills and those of you that have played OH and could reflect on what it may have been like to play the DR’s OH layout with both its width, its many bunkers within the fairways, and with the current greens.
- Are there parkland courses built in the last 10-20 years with width?  I can’t think of any, but I am sure they exist.
- Does the width of those courses add anything to the playability or strategy of the parkland course?
- Do you think narrowing the course would detract from it?
- Has anyone played a course where the addition of width would make the course better?  Where and why would width enhance it?
- Alternatively, has anyone played a course they view as too wide and should be narrowed?  Where and why?
- Have those 10-year old opinions in the original post changed over time? (Some of you still post)

Cheers.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »
Michael:

I walked a lesser-known heathland course in the UK this afternoon, Whittington Heath just north of Birmingham.

The par-5 first hole looked pretty narrow from the tee so when I got to the landing area I paced it off ... the fairway was about 20 yards wide for short hitters and narrowed down to 11 yards (!!) at the second fairway bunker, which the better players would challenge if they were trying to get home in two.

Overall there was about 40 to 50 yards of easily findable and playable turf including the semi-rough.  That's pretty narrow when the wind is blowing like it was this afternoon.  Pacific Dunes gives you 45-70 yards of fairway in the same circumstances, but of course, with the green fees they charge, they can afford to.

Whittington Heath did have a fair bit of strategy to it, in spite of being so narrow.  I'm just fascinated how different the two golfing cultures are, as I have been for thirty years now.  I'm playing tomorrow, I hope I can hit a few fairways!

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
The bottom line of my Whittington summary.

In truth, I think the design deserves a 1*.  The bones of this course are excellent, but the rough and overly narrow fairways take away too much from the clever architectural elements.  All in all, I recommend a stop at Whittington especially if one is in town and can't get a game at Beau Desert just up the road, but try to focus on the architecture rather than how the course is presented.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
My above thoughts and observations are the context which gives rise to my many questions:
- “Is there a still a purpose for width on a parkland course with modern equipment?"  I would love to hear from John Percival, a member at Oakland Hills and those of you that have played OH and could reflect on what it may have been like to play the DR’s OH layout with both its width, its many bunkers within the fairways, and with the current greens.
I certainly cannot provide input specifically on OH, but I would argue that there is still a purpose for width on a parkland course, even with modern equipment.  The most obvious examples (to my mind) of parkland holes which would benefit from width would be holes with centerline bunkers in which the width would allow for at least 2 distinct lines of attack off the tee (or that provides width to one side as an alternative to going at the green on a short 4); the way I've heard the old 11th at ANGC described would fit this description - a wider fairway and centerline bunker offered two distinct playing options: left of the bunker to the wider side of the fairway, leaving a tougher approach over the pond or right of the bunker allowing a better angle into the green.  

- Are there parkland courses built in the last 10-20 years with width?  I can’t think of any, but I am sure they exist.
I'm not completely clear on the definition of parkland course (as distinct from, say, a tree-lined mountain course).  But the definitions of parkland I've found seem to emphasize the green color and lushness of the course, which to my mind does not suggest firm and fast.  And I link firm and fast with width out of necessity more than anything - a lush green course is more likely to keep shots in narrow fairways better than the same course set up to be fast and firm.  Having said all that, if a tree-lined mountain course does qualify as 'parkland', I'd say, based on the GCA profile, that C&C's Clear Creek Tahoe might qualify.

- Does the width of those courses add anything to the playability or strategy of the parkland course?
- Do you think narrowing the course would detract from it?
Like those that commented on the original thread, I would suggest that width can or cannot add playability or strategy, depending on various factors including all manners of hazards, green complexes, and course maintenance.  And I would hold the opposite to be true, too.  The original thread mentioned TOC 17 as a narrow strategic hole while I would say that a hole like TOC 14 would be a good example of a wide strategic hole (mainly based on Dr. MacKenzie's descriptions, as I have not played TOC).  Either can work.

- Has anyone played a course where the addition of width would make the course better?  Where and why would width enhance it?
- Alternatively, has anyone played a course they view as too wide and should be narrowed?  Where and why?
I recently played the Babe course at Industry Hills in CA.  I would say that this course could benefit from additional width.  Width would enhance this course, IMO, because it currently is completely an execution course.  I had very few choices throughout my round, only the option to execute the shot or not.  For example, despite multiple sub-375 holes (and 2 sub-350 holes), I was never once presented with a viable choice to use a driver to any benefit.  I'd have liked some width to at least tempt me to pull out driver for a risk-reward shot.  Can't say that I've played a course I would say is too wide, although I don't know if 'too wide' would stick in mind on such a course or if I'd just thnk 'that was boring'.
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Frank Pont

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
Tom, WH is a cool Colt course, better than the lack of recognition would make you think. Walked it twice last year and came away that it could be so much better with significant tree removal and widening of fairways (in any vase if HSL2 goes ahead they will lose a lot of what is there in any case). Working just south of you at Copt Heath on bunkers, another cool Colt, same issues, too much trees and fairways that need widening....

Michael Essig

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »
Tom and Sean, using Whittington as an example since you are both familiar with it, would changing the mowing pattern to create a larger fairway make the course better?  Can it be that simple?  Have a picture?

Did you look at the DR layout for Oakland Hills?  To me, the current strategy of the course is completely different than what Ross had designed.  

The DR design looked like something Dr. Mac would have done and my mind went straight to Cypress Point - I think it is the bunkers in the line of play.  You appear to have played over, not between, the DR bunkers.

To me, the DR design looked like it belonged on the coast and not inland, but that is obviously where all my questions come from.  To that point, is the width of the links course adaptable/desirable in an inland course?

Michael Essig

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
Having said all that, if a tree-lined mountain course does qualify as 'parkland', I'd say, based on the GCA profile, that C&C's Clear Creek Tahoe might qualify.

Trying to find Clear Creek on Google Earth.  Can you point me to it?

Frank Pont

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
Tom and Sean, using Whittington as an example since you are both familiar with it, would changing the mowing pattern to create a larger fairway make the course better?  Can it be that simple?  
Michael,

sometimes it can be that simple, but in this case you would need to cut a lot of trees and shrub to get back to the full strategic potential of the course

Josh Tarble

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
Here's my opinion...

Width just for the sake of width is simply a wide fairway.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but a course shouldn't be praised for having wide fairways and nothing else.

Width for the sake of offering an advantage to the better positioned ball is strategic.

In my opinion, the best and nearly only way to do that is with excellent green complexes and firm targets.  If the greens and fairways are too soft, players are now just able to hit it high and far and stop the ball with no disadvantage to being out of position.

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »
Having said all that, if a tree-lined mountain course does qualify as 'parkland', I'd say, based on the GCA profile, that C&C's Clear Creek Tahoe might qualify.

Trying to find Clear Creek on Google Earth.  Can you point me to it?

Not really familiar with Google Earth, but it's located just east of Lake Tahoe, west of the 395, along route 50.  This all gleaned from Google Maps.  Sorry I can't pinpoint it better for you.

Though when I look at the satellite view, it doesn't share the more wide open or side-by-side fairways I would expect from a parkland course ala ANGC.  The holes look to be much more distinctly separate at Clear Creek than at a classic parkland course.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:18:03 PM by Dwight Phelps »
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
Michael

I disagree with Frank.  Most of the corridors are plenty wide.  There are a few tight ones, but they tend to be placement holes with sharp legs so that is the design - like it or not.  On several holes there is at least 15 and sometimes up to 30+ yards of total rough before trees are an issue.  I can definitely see trees coming out for aesthetics, but rarely for playing considerations.

See the linked tour, it is often easy to see how far the rough line extends beyond the tree line.  The club is very proud of their rough.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35648.0.html

Ciao

Michael Essig

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
So let's look at the Oakland Hills #10 and then #11.

Current photo above, Ross drawing below.

Neither hole looks anything like the original.

#10 - The original's fairway is twice the width of the green and twice the width of the current fairway.  The current bunkers are exclusively outside the fairway.  The original had almost every bunker within the fairway.

If this course is sometimes criticized for its bunkers, as stated in Richard's thread, I can see why - the bunkers are simply penal; they do nothing for strategy.  The bunkers make it harder to drive the ball into the fairway - which is exactly what the USGA wants for an open; grow the rough and narrow the fairways.

You can see from the photo how the Ross original fit within the corridor of the current hole, but I don't recognize much from the original Ross design (I assume the green remains based upon what was said in Richard's OH tour.)

Did the width of the Ross original make the hole more playable?

Same with #11 right below #10 in the photo.  

#11 - The Ross #11 played parallel to #10 from the teeing ground to the trees separating the #10 & #11 fairways.  On that playing line, a bunker was placed before the landing area within the fairway.  ALL OF THAT IS GONE!  

I restarted this thread because of my questions about width.  If #11 had the width of the original, without the fairway bunker on the line of play, it would be a nothing drive.  With a bunker within the fairway, now you have something to think about.  We can't see what Ross gives you as a reward for hitting over the fairway bunker, but I would have to believe that he gave you something.

As it is today, there is no reward for the correct play, there is only the absence of punishment for failing to hit the fairway.  There is a difference.

So, I ask, which do you prefer?  I vote for the Ross original.

But back to my original questions, doesn't anyone design a course with the width of Ross' original any longer on an inland course?

I am curious when the width and bunkers were removed.

Frank Pont

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 02:58:47 AM »
Michael

I disagree with Frank.  Most of the corridors are plenty wide.  There are a few tight ones, but they tend to be placement holes with sharp legs so that is the design - like it or not.  On several holes there is at least 15 and sometimes up to 30+ yards of total rough before trees are an issue.  I can definitely see trees coming out for aesthetics, but rarely for playing considerations.

See the linked tour, it is often easy to see how far the rough line extends beyond the tree line.  The club is very proud of their rough.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35648.0.html

Ciao

Sean, there are at least afew holes where NEW tree planting after Colt left has really spoiled the strategy of the hole. From memory we are talking about holes 4,8 and at least two more holes (one a short dog leg left part 4 that used to be driveable before they planted trees in the dogleg).
However you are right that compared to most inland courses in the UK you could expand most fairways without having to cut many trees.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
Yes, I would lose trees down the left on #4 for aesthetic reasons.  Its 5 & 6 which are the hard leggers in either direction where trees define the strategy.  I would definitely have a go at the trees down the left on #5.  There is a cool bottom out area there which could look quite dramatic from the tee.  No trees would encourage guys to be aggressive and then have to deal with the real crux of the hole, and that is the fairway moving away from the direction of the dogleg.  Could be a far better hole imo.

The 6th is a bit different.  If the trees down the right were lost the hole would be a toss away.  Whittington doesn't really have many holes where drive placement is called for.  With the trees a precise drive is required, not a bad thing to demand a few times in a game.  I spose to some degree (not quite the same though), ripping trees out and whacking a bunker (is the road a natural bunker placement?) in achieves the same thing, but with a lesser degree of punishment for a miscue.  I am not a fan of the hole (like the green though), but I accept that some stuff is good for the sake of variety even if I don't like it.  Its like eating sprouts once in a while - geez - they are horrible, but if they are on the plate once a year on Christmas...

Ciao

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
I would agree, width isn't strategic per se for the 15 and above, but certainly makes for a more enjoyable round.  
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Most probably remember this, but Ross was hired by OH in 1948 to prep it for the '51 US Open, and when he passed away, they brought in RTJ.

I have seen it (been ten years) and as others who have seen it will attest, Ross plan if he were the US Open Doctor, was very similar to RTJ.

Just FYI.  As to what it means, maybe to Ross, width was simply a necessity for the average player, and narrowness was a necessity for the champion level golfer.  Anyway, that would be my guess.

As to my definition of width, I would say if we can reasonably expect to hit a 40 yard fw (most studies show that to be about right) then 45 or more yards is wide.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 03:28:45 AM »
Jeff

Assuming you are speaking of 45 yards on flatish ground and little wind, in my experience, I rarely come across 45 yard wide fairways.  I think I see more (a lot more) 30-35 yarders.  But of course the issue when speaking of fairway width is always connected to the amount of space outside the lane that offers the range of opportunity from go for it to take a drop.  Too often on 35 yard wide fairways the options lean more toward get it out rather than look at the green.  

For me, playbility is really code for options and what is at issue is not really the width of fairways, but the width of playing corridors and what sort of rough exists.  But equally important, to retain the integerity of well placed hazards, width goes hand in hand with f&f.  The goal of design should be to tempt and entice players to take on shots because thats fun.  Its seems clear to me that its nearly impossible to achieve this among all levels of golfers on one course.  For the rank and file, once golfers spend more than minimal time with heads down in rough getting the back of their necks sunburned or thrashing through trees (or sand even), the design has failed if playability is a goal.  Perhaps that is the real question, is playability a legitimate goal for golf design and the only way to answer that question is to determine for whom are courses designed?

Just as folks talk about bifuraction in the rules, maybe there should be talk about bifurcation in design.  I don't much like the idea of design bifurcation because I think there are plenty of courses about to handle the upper tier players.  I know many like the traditon and history aspect of championship golf, but it may also be time for clubs to decide what is most important, playability or hosting championship golf.  The more championships are played on the great classic courses, the more they are altered to be less playable.  

Ciao    
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:37:52 AM by Sean_A »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »
The problem with wide fairways is maintaining them. Where as 50 years ago most fairways were cut once or twice a week with gangs pulled by a tractor through the summer season now they are cut three, four or even five time with dedicated units that are much slower. This means that it takes so much more time to cut the fairways ergo narrower fairways and more semi rough.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 04:14:48 AM »
Ref the various Whittington Heath comments on this thread.

If you've left it far too long you can't do all the needed tree clearance work at the same time, unless I guess, if you've got loads of staff/£$£$, but I've been there a couple of times per year for several years now and earlier this summer there was evidence of new-ish tree surgery/growth clear-out. But there is a lot to do. Incidentally, I understand one of the reasons they are cutting back the trees etc is to try to encourage the re-growth of the heather. As to the fairway width, they are now certainly pretty narrow in places but it seemed to me, later confirmed by members/officials in the clubhouse, that the fairway lines were being deliberately pinched-in at around the 250-300 yd mark (from the back tees). Been done in quite a gentle, subtle manner though, which was nice. Earlier this year was a pretty strong grass growing period in the UK, I don't recall Whittington being that 'green' before, so the rough was thick, even just off the fairways, indeed it was actually at the lost-ball/club twisting in hands level of penal.

Whittington Heath is, as Sean nicely describes it in his course tour, 'wiley' and a 'corker'. Certainly a favourite of mine.

Incidentally, the clubhouse is that rather unusual shape as it used to form a permanent grandstand for watching the horse racing back in yee olde days.

Tom Doak,

I noticed from reading above that you were recently planning a game at Whittington. What did you reckon generally?

All the best.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
Sean,

A lot of agreement with your post.

"But of course the issue when speaking of fairway width is always connected to the amount of space outside the lane that offers the range of opportunity from go for it to take a drop."

I always encourage the lightest possible rough that distinguishes the fairway. It is usually tied to sprinkler width.  Years ago, I went from double row to triple row.  At 70 foot spacing, that gave me about 210 feet/70 yards of good irrigation/play corridor.  I measured a few of those courses, and an average of 1 in 4 shots, or one per foursome found the gunch/trees outside that play corridor.

4 row sprinklers gets you out to 270 ft/ or 90 yards, and that contains far more shots in the play zone. I believe, based on my research, that it would take play corridors of 300 feet to contain 90% of shots and about 425 feet to contain all of them.  Those are usually out of the question on an average size parcel (or housing course)

"Just as folks talk about bifuraction in the rules, maybe there should be talk about bifurcation in design. "

As has been discussed before, in 1983 I played with Tom Watson in a pro am, and was maybe 20 yards short of him tee shot length wise.  If I played with Bubba Watson in a 2013 pro am, I would be 50-90 yards back. (I am shorter, he is longer....) The first logical step in making courses playable for all was the multiple tees, accelerated by RTJ in the 50's, I think.  After 60 years, maybe that has had its run, or certainly need supplementation.

Or, get rid of the label "championship course".  Better yet, come up with a higher designation so that the existing label now connotes a 6800/63000/5800/5300/4300 range yard course, and we ignore the tournament guys who make up 0.1% of the play at most places.  It's not just the tech driving this- its the water.  Getting rid of the way back tees on 80% of our courses that have them would be the best industry wide solution for both those, and speed of play.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back