News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Re:Best Hole You Saw This Year: Why?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2003, 06:40:15 PM »
Bob,

In the case of pictures that are on the Internet, you can type the URL (www.blah.com) and put tags on both ends of it.  The tags are "img" with [] brackets.  An example would look something like this, except the round brackets () are replaced with square brackets [] (note:  I write all of this detail because it wouldn't show up viewable once this get posted)

example:  (img)http://www.sampleurl.com(img)

To get the actual URL of a picture, do a right-click on the picture and you'll see a menu come up.  Scroll down to "Properties" and it will list the URL.

Now if you have a picture that somebody sent to you via email, then it becomes more difficult because your computer is not viewable by other GCA people.  So you'd need to find a way to get that picture posted on the Internet, and then follow the details above.  Guys like Scott B. or Tommy N., that post lots of pictures, have some storage space on the Internet and maybe they can share where they have that storage.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2003, 06:46:44 PM »
Classic: 14th or 15th ? (sorry Paul) at Beverly CC. This hole was the model to show the membership what Ron Prichard's resto is all about. From the moment the golfer raises their eyes to see it, they are floored by the subtle but different look and feel of the golf shot from the previous holes. From Paul's description of the 5th, the resto seems to full gusto, good!.

New:
 The third at the Rawls course. Watching my playing partners play first each ball was synonomous with the flag. Then I played my 125 yd club which was also one with the prey. This one shotter plays to 157 yards over the deepest scars on site(i'll bet) and is a true joy to be had. (even if you hit your 18 inch birdie putt 12 inches  :'( )

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2003, 07:10:45 PM »
Royal Melbourne West - #3.  Par 4 356yds. Index  14.

For o/seas posters, it was the opening hole on the revamped composite layout at Royal Melb, for the 1998 President's Cup.

In short, there are options galore. The most gentle bend left in the fairway, over the last 50yds. The hole provides a super-wide landing area, for a long-iron. The more club you take from the tee, the more accurate one must be. One may direct the tee shot anywhere within a 50degree arc, depending upon their own preference on where they want to play their second shot. The hole tricks you, in that there doesn't seem to be too much of a disadvantage to driving close to the green. A big valley immediately prior to the putting surface, and a front to back sloping green, which is sparingly, but well-bunkered, completes the hole. One needs to hit a very exacting approach, invariably, with full shot to generate some spin, to get anywhere close. Some drive way right, away from the green, so as to play the second perpendicular to the valley. Some putt the second through the valley, after hitting driver close to the green. Some bump and run to try and access the front pins. Attempting to hit a lofted shot, after a long tee-ball, usually ends in disappointment. When the tee shot is directed on the line of charm (the flag is just visible from the tee), one approaches the ball and realises that they've played the first shot too tight on the left, and that they now have a very exacting second to play.

On a tract of land which is not too startling, the third provides more options than almost any other par four I can think of. It uses simple ideas and executes them to perfection. It makes you think, and has an unusual green configuration. It makes one wonder why this green complex hasn't been utilised more often.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2003, 10:12:26 AM »
My favorite hole this year is NGLA #4.  I was playing by myself ahead of everybody so I had the chance to hit several different shots into the hole.  I have never played a par 3 that can be played so many different ways.  I hit draws, fades, high shots, low shots, and there was a different problem to deal with for every shot.  Into the wind you can still hit three different clubs and keep it on the green.  What a hole!  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back