News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

The Bias Toward "Big" Courses
« on: April 12, 2003, 06:06:24 AM »
We've hit upon this a couple of times before, but it came up again in redanman's critique of The Bridge on the "Empire" thread.

The biggest trend in golf course rankings over the last ten years is the prejudice toward "big" courses.

I think it's a derivative of that old saw about Pine Valley, how great it is that you can't see any other hole from the hole you're playing.  For years, that encouraged older clubs to plant too many trees; today, it encourages architects of new courses to use up 300 acres.

The other most cited example of golf architecture, Augusta National, is also in the "big" category.  So are most of the newer courses which are championed here:  Sand Hills, Kapalua, Bandon Dunes, Whistling Straits, Arcadia Bluffs, Royal New Kent, The Kingsley Club ... and even the ones which are criticized here but win awards anyway (try to think of ANYTHING by Tom Fazio or Rees Jones which can't be characterized as a Big course).

Meanwhile, the courses which are taking it on the chin are the older ones on tighter property which used it so well ... Merion, or anything by Donald Ross except Pinehurst #2.

Just out of curiosity ... can anyone think of a modern course they really liked which was on a relatively tight piece of property?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Sweeney

Re: The Bias Toward
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 06:26:34 AM »
Tom,

It is a very valid point. Maybe it is due to where I live, but I love space on a golf course. George Bahto's Stonebridge course on Long Island was a complete redo of an old course on a small piece of property in a very congested area made smaller by the new houses. I am out there frequently for work, so I will go see it again, but my biases against crowded conditions (on the course and nearby roads which pinch in the feeling of the course) outweighed my respect for George's work around the greens.

On the other hand, I really like Tall Grass on Long Island. When I first played it, I had never heard of Gil Hanse, but I could easily see the influences of Merion in the greens and bunkering. It is a pretty small property with no trees and plays short, but I like it and am surprised it does not get mentioned here more often. But again there are no houses on the course and it is set back from the road. It is quiet and the views are expansive due to the sod farm across the street. Thus it has a big feeling even though my guess is it is on less than 200 acres.

On a side note, I am finally playing my first Doak course this coming week at Stonewall, and I am looking forward to it.

RJ_Daley

Re: The Bias Toward "Big" Courses
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 07:23:26 AM »
Tom, what do you consider a small lot course in acreage?  I can't think of a single architect or course designed in the last 40 years that doesn't work off of atleast a 240 yard turning point and doesn't design in enough seperation so as not to be sued for not providing a safe distance to players from getting beaned.  While I can think of some old courses that were designed off of about 220 yard turning points and are on 110 or so acres, I can't think of any on much less than 160-180 acres from the last 40 years.  How many acres were used on Rustic Canyon?  I'd guess around 200-210.  What did you use at HIghpoint?  I'd guess about 80 on the front and 120 on the back.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 08:06:07 AM »
I only played it once so I can't say whether I really liked it or not, but I recall reading (possibly here) that Tobacco Road used very little total acreage.  Although it didn't feed "tight," I wouldn't characterize it as a "big" course.  Weird, maybe, striking, sure, but big, no.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

CHrisB

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 09:35:03 AM »
Of the courses I've played that fall into the modern category, the one that makes the best use of a tight property is Pete Dye's Oak Hollow Golf Club in High Point, NC, built in 1973.  It is confined to a peninsula of land sticking out into Oak Hollow Lake.

The course makes up for its relative lack of length (6483, par 72) with small, angled greens with steep falloffs, and some tumbling fairways (I doubt much earth was moved here... perhaps only around the greens).  It has some roller-coaster fairways (#2,3,12,15), a good set of birdie-bogey sub-350 yard par 4's with small greens (1,3,9,17), a couple of reachable par 5's with dangerous greensites (2,5, and 15 if you can fit your drive through the "slot" on the left side of the fairway), and a few long, difficult holes like the 420-yard 6th around the lake (top of the aerial), the 588-yard 10th with narrow landing area for the 2nd shot, the 437-yard 11th with its 3-tiered lakeside green and tee shot landing into an upslope, and the 440-yard 18th with green perched on a shelf above a steep diagonal falloff.

This course is often listed in "Best Course for the Money" lists, because it is a municipal course and the walking rate is a steal.  Architecturally speaking, it may well be the most fun you can have for under $20.

Bob Barriger

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 01:30:41 PM »
If 170 acres is considered a tight piece of property, Wolf Run in Zionsville, IN would qualify IMO.  Very little distance from green to tee but it doesn't seem crowded on to the land used. Plus, you don't feel endangered from shots from other holes as you go around the course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 03:54:01 PM »
Tom Doak,

Bethpage Black and ANGC would seem to qualify as big golf courses, yet they're from another era.

Is it possible that the trend you reference is caused by the generation doing the rating, and their early exposure to golf ?

It would be interesting to see the data on the ages of the raters, and the type of courses they grew up on.
I would think that the perspectives of those raised on Wilson and RTJones Sr and their generation would differ from those raised on Ross, CBM, SR and their generation.
It may be that their biases are rooted in their backrounds.

But, it's just a theory, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 04:22:57 PM »
Tom Doak:

How about Stonewall 1 & 2? Do either really qualify as "big" courses?

Doesn't #9, 10 and 18 on Stonewall 2 have an old fashioned, small feeling to them?

Tim Weiman

McCloskey

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 04:46:37 PM »
TD

I think that Mayacama in Santa Rosa, CA is a pretty well received new modern course that would be considered to be on a relatively tight site.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 07:30:32 PM »
Tom,
I think one more reason that the older, more intimate courses are taking it on the chin is due to the increasing numbers of new courses to choose from. According to GCCN there has been 480 recent openings and there are 1,327 new projects, not counting the nearly 1,000 remodels. How's an old body going to keep up? If this batch of new courses have felt the pressure to keep up with the Joneses, pun intended, than the trend is self perpetuating and will remain that way. It may also be getting more problematic to create a close knit course due to environmental constraints and safety issues.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2003, 08:32:58 PM »
Tom,

With all respect, I don't think the "Bias" really is toward "Big" courses.  I think the modern day ho hum big courses are a result of a very slippery slope that, in its best cases, is founded in the classically strategic hole heavy courses, which mandated vast acreage to facilitate their design.  Over the years I believe courses of immense scale, which offered moderate levels of strategic play, started the downward death spiral of design.  

Your mentioning of Augusta seals it.  Before the rough was added, before the trees were added, that giant mass of manicured space allowed for a myriad of strategic routes to those thinking man's, decision forcing green complexes.  Let's not forget Augusta only has 44 bunkers and Bobby thought some of them were unnecessary.  Courses / holes have become tests of specific skills as mandated by designers, rather than sacred grounds where people who are forced to make decisions of seemingly great import in their daily lives are allowed to make choices for which only they will bear consequence.  This is the root of the recreational premise of golf.

The long views, grand vistas, and solitary tree lined routings are, in my opinion, the smoke and mirrors used to hide the morbid rapidity of essentially penal and freeway hole designs.  The Chief up in your neck of the woods is a good example.  Its pretty, but not much of a thinkers course.  I know 20 handicaps who love it, but I've left unfulfilled every time I've played it.  I feel most modern big courses use what I call the “view” and the expression of “landscape architecture” to compensate for average golf.  This is the cause of the Big Bias.  How often do you see a client get all tingly over a split or alternate fairway?  As a golfer, I would much rather play strategic courses, in undefined visually listless and open fields on one hundred percent poa fairways than the most manicured and dramatic of landscape courses.  I would rather choose my line and method of play than have it defined for me by 70+ bunkers.  In addition, I find the “target bunker” to be a direct sign of a failure to move sufficient volumes of earth.  I’d rather play The Old Course, Muirfield, or Shinnecock than Augusta in its current state, hands down.

It’s not about blame.  The finger can be pointed across the board from the added cost of maintaining fine grasses, to the twenty handicappers who think they should shoot 80 and hit wedge into every hole – ‘cause that’s what we see on TV, to the technology that causes the gratuitous lengthening of great holes.  How many holes which were truly heroic or strategic in the days of persimmon woods and hickory shafts are now just driver wedge holes?  I got out for the first time today.  Played with my regular group when, in what was a true epiphany brought on by reading this site all winter, I realized we were all trying to hit almost every shot on almost every hole into the same 5 yd square area.  I also realized that if we cut down 70 percent of the trees on our 165 acre 6,600 yd course, we could play different holes from alternate fairways.  That would be awesome!

Maybe the definition of a “big” course should be based on the surface area of its fairways rather than its external boundary lines.  I’d be willing to bet the “modern courses they really liked” squeezed as much character filled / undulating fairway into the site as possible.  Just a thought. ;)

Cheers!

JT

I officially step down from the soapbox.
Jim Thompson

Carlyle Rood

Augusta National Big?
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2003, 09:02:15 PM »
Tom:

I don't know that I'd throw Augusta National in the "Big" category.  There are many opportunities to see two or three (or four or five) holes at once.  In fact, Frank Nobilo described his first experience at Augusta National as "claustrophobic."  I thought that was a bit peculiar because he was talking about the vista from the clubhouse.  He said he expected that the holes to be more spread about, particularly because of the size of the property.

I think the close proximity of the holes actually creates the illusion of greater space.  I saw Seve taking a drop from the 9th green when he was playing the 18th yesterday!

The absence of deep rough probably accentuates this illusion.  The really odd thing is that I would expect the large greens to mitigate that experience.  But I guess once you're on one of them the scale is more personal.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 07:00:57 AM »
Carlyle,

If you don't think Augusta National feels big, you obviously haven't been through the gates yet.  The spacing between fairways is pretty big, although MacKenzie was less concerned with safety than most architects and so there are a couple of greens very close to other holes.  (Seve hit his drive on 17 onto the seventh green several times ... I think he even did so one of the years he won the event.)

Compared to other courses of its day, Augusta was HUGE.  Nowadays, it's not, because there are so many imitators.

Jim:  I couldn't tell where you came down.  There are a lot of big courses which aren't very strategic.  By the same token, I have never been a fan of some of the "strategic" devices which take up a lot of space, such as alternate fairways ... only about one in ten of these type of holes really gives the short hitter any option.  A big course should give a lot of room for strategy, but I'm not sure many take advantage.

Chris B:  I've never seen Oak Hollow, but that aerial puts it on my Next 50.

Tim:  You're right; Stonewall is guilty of having some long views, but both courses are built on less than 200 acres.  However, by far the smallest course we've built is Atlantic City.  I doubt any new course client would have let us build something that small and short (6600 yards) and compact, but I enjoy the atmosphere that comes from that:  very walkable, very social.  And I don't think anyone would call what we built "penal," there's plenty of room for strategy there, too.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2003, 07:34:42 AM »
Tom,

Because you mentioned Fazio, what about Pine Barrens? The course certainly has a big feel to it but the routing is pretty tightly knit over not a lot of acreage, unless I'm fooled. To me it's a good example of creating space without consuming a ton of property.

Also, what about The New Course in Orlando? Naturally it's trying to emulate something bygone but it works: small acreage and economic use of the land.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2003, 08:10:39 PM »
A good Tom Fazio course on very limited property is the public Oyster Bay GC on Long Island.

Just a comment from a very "anti-biased" perspective, despite what Patrick Mucci might have you all believe! ;)

Jim Thompson

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2003, 10:11:46 PM »
Tom,

Let me try again...

Courses that have been made “big” just for the sake of being “big” are about as stimulating as a theoretical discussion with the stereotypical meat head offensive linemen.  I doubt any of us truly enjoy "meathead" golf.

There are a lot of big courses which aren't very strategic.

Exactly!  So much wonderful canvas is just wasted.  Not using the opportunity to create strategic holes when the land was available is, in my opinion, a designer's biggest sin.

By the same token, I have never been a fan of some of the "strategic" devices which take up a lot of space, such as alternate fairways ... only about one in ten of these type of holes really gives the short hitter any option.

Don’t like alternate fairways? Don't use ‘em.  Use mounds, grassing patterns, hollows, elevations etc… to divide the lines of play.  I know that's a cop out but...  If a short hitter can't partake of the options presented, he/she is either playing the wrong set of tees or the architect put the tees in the wrong location.

The real question is why is so much strategy limited to the linear / length / method plane and not conveyed to the directional / route / tactical plane?  Why is there an assumption that most great strategic holes have to be long?  Is this some secret from the inner sanctum of the architect's guild? It seems to me a 340-yard par 4 with a bunker stretching from 20 - 40 yards short of green complex and 10 yards in width with 20 paces of fairway to each side of said bunker is a great strategic hole.  It begs the player to address tactic and route as opposed to method.  Moreover if the green is comprised of shallow pin zones or dramatically wider than deep a player is forced to "play or at least consider the pin" from the tee in order to optimize his / her approach angle / useful landing area.  If the pin is on the left half of the green the questions now become; "Do I play right to open up the green?", "Do I bomb a running toe hook up the left in hopes of reaching knowing I could be short sided?", "Do I just hit short of the bunker and leave a full wedge into the pin?"  Man I wish I had to ask myself these questions when I play!

A big course should give a lot of room for strategy, but I'm not sure many take advantage.

If the “many” to which you refer are modern architects, I agree. If the “many” are skilled golfers, I strongly disagree.  We can’t help the twenty handicapper who is fortunate to execute his tee shot 50 percent of the time.  So we give him nice grass and landscaping.  As a result, thinking players continue to be disappointed.  Left only with choices of method (full wedge, knock down 8, running 7, bump and run 6) rather than the directional stratagems once so critical to the essence of the game.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2003, 10:41:08 PM »

Carlyle,

If you don't think Augusta National feels big, you obviously haven't been through the gates yet.  

Actually, I just returned from my seventh consecutive Sunday at the Masters.  I guess I've visited the property a dozen times now, so my opinion isn't exactly from Washington Road.

To me, having many holes in close proximity to one another creates a greater sense of intimacy.  There are probably five places on the property where you can see parts of at least six holes at once.  The scale may be great; but, the experience is much more modest.

Think about it.  You could walk five or six holes and still see the same landmark.  That sort of familiarity creates intimacy.

Today I watched players bomb shots into the fifteenth from my seat in the bleachers.  From the same seat, I could watch the group in front putting out at the 16th.  I could see the next group walking up the 17th.  I could watch the leaders walking up to the 6th.  I could see the bunkers fronting the 7th.  I could even see the edge of the clubhouse!

I wasn't thinking about how BIG everything was.  I was thinking about how CLOSE I was to a dozen things.

By contrast, when you're playing a course that doesn't have many holes next to each other, it reads more remotely.  The boundaries of the hole may be more confining; but, your experience is more segregated.

That being said, I'm willing to concede that my perspective is inherently biased.  I've ONLY seen Augusta National with tens of thousands of "patrons."  Perhaps my opinion will change after I've played it.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2003, 03:35:31 AM »
TD - Here is a great and ironic example of a fine modern course built on 110(?) acres - Caledonia in Myrtle Beach.  Short and well-varied, Mike Stranz was able to wring maximum strategy out of a limited piece of property.  The irony is that Stranz, given an unlimited parcel of land, seems prone to do just the opposite.  Stonehouse, RNK and True Blue are examples of expansive, long and tough layouts where land is used more to improve esthetic backdrop than to improve stategy.  Each is something like 400 acres.

JC

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2003, 08:39:30 AM »
It is funny you put forth this topic Tom. The first thing I felt at ANGC was the biggness of the place. The scale of everything(hills, fairways, trees, sightlines etc) seemed to dwarf the actual distances. I felt that way at Macrihanish too oddly enough. I have tended to associate this feeling with courses that I feel have championship hosting bones. However the odd thing about ANGC is the heart and soal of the course is the greens. hmmmm Maybe its greatness is not in its biggness but the requirement of a superior short game to win.

henrye

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 09:02:57 AM »
I think it's an interesting question.  Most of the good modern courses I have played would be considered "big".  I have to confess, that generally I prefer the big courses.  They tend to give one a sense of privacy due to individual hole isolation.  There is, however, one modern course built on a tight property, which I truly think is a wonderful course - not by world standards, but it consistently ranks high in Canadian course lists.  It is a "heathland" design called Osprey Valley Heathlands located about an hour north of Toronto.  I think the course sits on roughly 100 acres.  They used substantial mounding which looks somewhat unusual when viewing the course from a distance, but it provides a wonderful felling of hole isolation when on the course.

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 09:22:40 AM »
I've been through the gates at ANGC and also felt the course was not big.  In fact I felt the holes were fit as about as tightly as possible on the acreage.  Does anyone know the acreage?  Not including the par 3 course.  During the recent lengthening, hasn't the course been pushed to edge of the property line for some tees and in the case of 13, even had to purchase additional land?  I think the 1 and 10 tee, 18 and 9 green all fit rather snugly on the top of the hill near the clubhouse.  The front nine has holes wrapped around each other, with the back having 14, 15, and 17 all pretty much parallel with only a stand of pine trees between the fairways, not to mention the last 250 yards of 13 playing parallel to 14.  The "bigness" to me is not the acreage used, but the dramatic flow of the land and the enormous elevation changes that you simply can not feel from television.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 10:34:55 AM »
I agree with Jonathan, Caledonia is a wonderful example of a modern course on a tight routing.  Eventhough the course is on a small piece of property, I never felt crowded while playing.  You don't get the feeling that the course is cramped or sacrificied width because of the small piece of property.  This would be a good example.

On the bad side, I played a golf course in Sacramento (opened in 1995) that was built on 91 acres of land.  I actually hit another golfer with a ball (first time I had ever done that) and almost got hit several times.  It is the only time I have seen a yield sign on a cart path.

Here is a link, I'm not sure how the managed to fit 18 holes down there.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?size=big&mapdata=xU4YXdELrnAVeUXdT4jiw0NOq3RXbeOaAt1jv4bbINqi5nwol9bEeM03SqwKMu0dSV6Giu6GX2ISxe1nhlEeYo0DDluWAv9kLuHErsKy62
mDl9051jcYCfpCXCugPtpH3TdzS5H0HaKb1MgxrstP601Rcav8PTU9Qxkevb2WpjcGqYcoUahRNAQree
Tx7Jxd4i%2bG9G%2fZ%2fm5W7xRh5gdQ2tRY4E2WJbZNkGqXdGMokUwTkI4YQwRel1F95iJGC%2fSwpc
dYk5YE0%2fHLGvHkZFzy6NdyN8rFSeOG2l47M4OTudzGogd8a3UoRDiU4zpoA9TUBu%2fuwja1txDa1x
s2T9CgPGbDdjCNDkMN%2bInsPhmnwy9g6GCDyQSm6%2bhfrgTX9NFCR2nyQItko5B934skmPpk1iPdHn
B4ZDTSOXaZucTjgqWIpnzy%2frBPOKvSl4CaAAfvF5bjFXPZujgDU%2bnyhnzcyJ1vIqFcaIm3QdXSkx
FBN4NGfbK79H5uBgJP2AqNL6ZX0%2bz6zh9JZj%2b2MDVslGoFMg%3d%3d

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 11:00:24 AM »
3 reasons so many new courses are "big":

1) Environmental restrictions galore.  In the old days, wetlands were simply 'removed' and the course built where they wanted.  Today, you have a much more restricted use of the land to work with, thus needing much more space.

2) Housing developments.  It seems like 75% of new courses are part of a housing development, and thus are built all over the place.

3) Litigation fears.  Too many parallel holes mean danger for stray shots.

All these contribute to it being more difficult to get a compact and, often, good routing.

ChrisB,

The Cardinal is another early Dye design not far form Oak Hollow, but is not quite as compact as OH, due to some housing holes and interior lakes.  TC has a very good drivable risk/reward par 4 (#12?), right after the drop shot par 3 abutting the creek.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 11:25:21 AM »
When Mike Cirba mentioned Oyster Bay on LI you'd be hard pressed to name a course with such little land! The course was pushed into a former estate that I believe is at max 110 acres. TF did a very good job with the limitations and the finishing stretch of holes -- starting from the 15th all the way home is quite good.

Mike -- no one should accuse you of TF bashing! ;D

Widow's Walk in Mass is also quite good for a small site that also had environmental issues although the layout does have a few "interesting holes."

Eagle Sticks in Zanesville, OH is also quite good from the tandem of Hurdzan and Fry and the course has been cited as a fine public layout by a host of people and publications.

The issue is beyond safety -- many course owners want the extra room to be used for housing and other amenities. Courses on tight acreage would likely not be appealing to buyers.

Carlyle Rood

Plan for Augusta
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2003, 11:31:27 AM »
Here's the base plan for Augusta National that was provided with the pairing sheet on Sunday.

The hatched portion below is roughly 199 acres.  ("Roughly" because I scaled the image using the 16th hole and the listed 170 yards, or 510 feet, listed in the upper right.)  

And here's a picture of this year's badge, in case you're curious.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back