News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Big B

Re:Courses in Office Parks
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2003, 09:46:33 AM »
Torrey Pines South Course, #9, #10 & #11.  When can you remember a US Open course with office buildings and I think a hospital 30 yds off the fairway?  However #12 is an excellent hole.  I hit driver, 3 wood and just came up short of the green.  Then I watched Tiger in similar conditions hit driver, 8 iron 20 feet from the pin.  Should be good in 08'.  

The best thing about being over at Commonwealth National GC during the air show is the Friday practice session when the F-16s fly over and you hear the sonic boom.  It's like a pop!

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2003, 04:51:31 PM »
"TEPaul,
Sounds like it's similar to playing at Anderson Creek in Spring Creek, NC which is just a few miles up the road from Fort Bragg (Fayetteville, NC).  Nothing like artillery and bombing practice in your backswing....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!"

Brian:

Don't know about what it's like with artillery practice a couple of miles away in your backswing but I do know what it's like to be on #2 green at Commonwealth National in Horsham Pa with an A-10 Warthog with its engines cranked up right over the fence about 50-60 yards from the 2nd green. There's vegetation on that huge chain fence surrounding Willow Grove Naval Air Station (the home of the A-10 Warthogs) so you can't actually see the plane but it's so loud you just can't believe it.

Obviously the beginning of a runway is right next to the 2nd green and one time we reached that green and a Warthog started cranking up it engines for takeoff right over the fence and it was so damn loud the green seemed to be shaking and instead of us worrying about our backswings we all basically took off running in the direction of the 3rd tee until that plane was in the air somewhere down near the 1st tee I think!

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2003, 07:43:15 PM »
BillV/Redanman,

This is how bad it gets when one reaches senior status: I was a MEMBER at Meridian for 9 years!  ::) Now I did think about it after posting re Inverness (where I was a member for one year before Meridian--maybe I'm a closet office park golf lover  :o) but didn''t get around to it...The office buildings at Meridian are pretty sparse and way off the course, too, so it has less of an office park course feel if there's such a thing.

I actually think Meridian is better than you say, with some decent par 4s (particularly the shorter ones) and a couple good par 3s but it is 1980s Jack and that ain't special. Agree that the valleys of sin are overdone, and there's that mounding stuff too. #13 is a very good par 5--it's not reachable, not even by lefty Phil. There's a burn in front of the green that makes trying foolish.

Re lefty Phil, I witnessed two of his eight birdies in his bogeyless US Am qualifying round at Meridian in 1990 whilst I was marshalling holes 4-5. 3 wood short iron on both to 8-10 feet and rolled 'em in. Pretty impressive stuff I must say, since he'd only seen 9 holes of the course once beforehand.

Happy Holidays,

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 07:44:12 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back