News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

9 holer in Columbus, Ohio
« on: October 04, 2024, 04:23:59 PM »
Anyone have anything to suggest in or around Columbus(within 25 miles)? I’m looking to add nine holes on a weekday afternoon after playing in the morning. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 04:33:32 PM by Tim Martin »

Brian Finn

Re: 9 holer in Columbus, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:19:34 AM »

Anyone have anything to suggest in or around Columbus(within 25 miles)? I’m looking to add nine holes on a weekday afternoon after playing in the morning. Thanks!
Two ideas off the top of my head:

1 - Champions Golf Course - Strong 9 - they have 18 holes with the original Herbert Strong 9 including some excellent golf holes in a nice, tight routing.  RTJ added 9 in the '40s and they are also pretty good, but not nearly as good as the Strong.  There is quite a bit about Champions in the GCA back pages (thanks to Tom MacWood), if you are inclined to read about it.  It was the original site of Winding Hollow CC, which moved out to New Albany in the '90s (before folding post-financial crisis).

2 - Delaware Golf Club - Ross 9 - they have 18 holes, with the original Ross 9 including a few interesting holes.  Dr. Hurdzan later added 9 more - they are ok, but not worth going out of your way to play.

I will circle back with other ideas...contrary to what I read recently on another thread, I found the public offerings in Columbus relatively solid. 
« Last Edit: Today at 09:22:05 AM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Ryan Book

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:50:20 AM »

Sorry to pour ice on this one but...

There is no existing "Herbert Strong nine" per se at Champions; the expansion from nine to eighteen by Robert Trent Jones meant tightening corridors, which -- for the most part -- meant that Strong's contributions were widely wiped away. I'd need to look the old routing when I'm back at the PC, but I believe only current No. 4 really resembles a Strong hole, as it were. If you choose to go to Champions for nine, I'd recommend the back over the front.

There is also no existing "Ross nine" at Delaware, namely on account of the course being designed by Ross associate J.B. McGovern, and not Ross himself (this is not widely reported, especially by the club). And it's my opinion that this shows, both in an occasionally unimaginative routing (no. 15), and in further changes made to the second nine to allow for real estate construction (no. 12 is new, and no. 13 was badly adjusted to keep it a par five).

So, having rained on the parade, I should probably offer an alternative...I suppose I'd toss out the back-nine at Dublin Golf Club, if they let you off the back? This isn't a ringing endorsement, per se.

1 - Champions Golf Course - Strong 9 - they have 18 holes with the original Herbert Strong 9 including some excellent golf holes in a nice, tight routing.  RTJ added 9 in the '40s and they are also pretty good, but not nearly as good as the Strong.  There is quite a bit about Champions in the GCA back pages (thanks to Tom MacWood), if you are inclined to read about it.  It was the original site of Winding Hollow CC, which moved out to New Albany in the '90s (before folding post-financial crisis).

2 - Delaware Golf Club - Ross 9 - they have 18 holes, with the original Ross 9 including a few interesting holes.  Dr. Hurdzan later added 9 more - they are ok, but not worth going out of your way to play.

I will circle back with other ideas...contrary to what I read recently on another thread, I found the public offerings in Columbus relatively solid. 
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:35:18 AM »

Sorry to pour ice on this one but...

There is no existing "Herbert Strong nine" per se at Champions; the expansion from nine to eighteen by Robert Trent Jones meant tightening corridors, which -- for the most part -- meant that Strong's contributions were widely wiped away. I'd need to look the old routing when I'm back at the PC, but I believe only current No. 4 really resembles a Strong hole, as it were. If you choose to go to Champions for nine, I'd recommend the back over the front.

There is also no existing "Ross nine" at Delaware, namely on account of the course being designed by Ross associate J.B. McGovern, and not Ross himself (this is not widely reported, especially by the club). And it's my opinion that this shows, both in an occasionally unimaginative routing (no. 15), and in further changes made to the second nine to allow for real estate construction (no. 12 is new, and no. 13 was badly adjusted to keep it a par five).

So, having rained on the parade, I should probably offer an alternative...I suppose I'd toss out the back-nine at Dublin Golf Club, if they let you off the back? This isn't a ringing endorsement, per se.

Welp...I still recommend both of the 9 holes that I highlighted, regardless of who designed them.  Setting aside Ryan's pedantry, I think you would enjoy either, particularly when compared to GC of Dublin, which is terrible. 

Another suggestion: Either 9 at Darby Creek (play them all if you can, it is good)

edit: depending on which side of town you are on, Clover Valley (NE of CMH) is a solid offering as well
« Last Edit: Today at 11:39:09 AM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Stephen Smith

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:04:49 PM »
It is nice to see Champions getting love.  I really think it is the best public course in central Ohio (and no I don't consider Denison or Virtues as central Ohio).

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:35:44 PM »
It is nice to see Champions getting love.  I really think it is the best public course in central Ohio (and no I don't consider Denison or Virtues as central Ohio).

It's been 20 years since I played it, but I thought it was without a doubt the best public course within the 270 loop.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:32:19 PM »
Is time better spent checking out the Ohio State campus?

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:40:43 PM »
Assuming the original question was for 9-hole golf courses near to Columbus, OH.  These are the ones that I have played (and I think all of the ones that are regulation in length):

Harbor Hills GC Buckeye Lake, OH (40 to 50 minutes from downtown depending on traffic)  Old 1925 9-hole course with small built-up greens.  A few holes have view of the lake.

Forest Hills GC Heath, OH (40 to 50 minutes from downtown depending on traffic)  1969 Jack Kidwell course on very hilly terrain with some cool greens.

Broadview GC Pataskala, OH (30 to 40 minutes from downtown) 1960 Kidwell course that uses creak and floodplain well for some quirky holes

Hillcrest GC Johnstown, OH (40 to 50 minutes from Cbus) 1952 course that is very short with an uninspired out and back / back and forth layout. Hilly terrain.

Indian Hills GC Granville, OH (40 5o 50 minutes from Cbus) 1990s 9-hole course.  Mostly flat course.  Could also see if you could play 9 of 18 holes at Dennison Golf Course (which is the old Granville Inn GC designed by Donald Ross - but has been altered with the loss of old 18th and several other holes on back 9.

Chris

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:42:07 PM »
Is time better spent checking out the Ohio State campus?

I would walk around the outside of Ohio Stadium for sure.  Sometime security even lets you in to take some photos.  Now has a Remarkable Ohio marker outside of south entrance.

Chris

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:14:54 PM »
Assuming the original question was for 9-hole golf courses near to Columbus, OH.  These are the ones that I have played (and I think all of the ones that are regulation in length):

Harbor Hills GC Buckeye Lake, OH (40 to 50 minutes from downtown depending on traffic)  Old 1925 9-hole course with small built-up greens.  A few holes have view of the lake.

Forest Hills GC Heath, OH (40 to 50 minutes from downtown depending on traffic)  1969 Jack Kidwell course on very hilly terrain with some cool greens.

Broadview GC Pataskala, OH (30 to 40 minutes from downtown) 1960 Kidwell course that uses creak and floodplain well for some quirky holes

Hillcrest GC Johnstown, OH (40 to 50 minutes from Cbus) 1952 course that is very short with an uninspired out and back / back and forth layout. Hilly terrain.

Indian Hills GC Granville, OH (40 5o 50 minutes from Cbus) 1990s 9-hole course.  Mostly flat course.  Could also see if you could play 9 of 18 holes at Dennison Golf Course (which is the old Granville Inn GC designed by Donald Ross - but has been altered with the loss of old 18th and several other holes on back 9.

Chris

Thanks Chris!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back