News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

East and West. Architects care
« on: Yesterday at 12:52:58 PM »
As I drove to my club yesterday it was quite sunny and I looked at the indicator in my car which had the E displayed.  I knew our 10th hole heads in that direction and number 1 goes west. I recall watching the PGA at Whistling Straits where the 18th was into the setting sun. That seemed to be an architectural sin.

How rigorous is this rule to have 1 going West and 18 East?
AKA Mayday

Ally Mcintosh

Re: East and West. Architects care
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:34:20 PM »
Some architects prioritise it quite highly on their list of desirable design musts.

I don’t. It is a bit lower down for me.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:13:16 PM »
As I drove to my club yesterday it was quite sunny and I looked at the indicator in my car which had the E displayed.  I knew our 10th hole heads in that direction and number 1 goes west. I recall watching the PGA at Whistling Straits where the 18th was into the setting sun. That seemed to be an architectural sin.

How rigorous is this rule to have 1 going West and 18 East?

For most projects it makes sense if you can do it.  But if you’ve got an east-west property and you want returning nines, you have to pick your poison - either the first hole will have to play east, or the last hole to the west.  (See Barnbougle or Teeth of the Dog.) And sometimes the location of the lodge is on the west end of the course and both opening and closing holes play into the sun (a la Pebble Beach).

Daily play sometimes isn’t the deciding factor, either.  At Whistling Straits I think the 18th is the result of wanting to play along the coast through 17 and not being able to put the house out on the bluff.  But even at TPC Sawgrass (where there was nothing to start) the 18th plays to the west . . . because that was preferred for spectators and for TV!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:27:38 PM »
   Hard to believe it’s terribly important. Other than big tournaments, which finish late in the day, I’d think 95%+ rounds at most courses finish well before sunset. I suppose all things being equal, you may as well not finish facing west. But how often are things equal? It’s not like baseball, where the field must face north so the sun is never in the batters’ eyes.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:52:18 PM by Jim_Coleman »

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:48:27 PM »
Not just finishing but also starting in the morning.
AKA Mayday

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:02:39 PM »
Pebble 18 also heads west, seems like it would of been a sin not to build that hole...

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:31:56 PM »
   Starting a round facing east seems even less of a problem. Not too many rounds start at sunrise. That’s when the grounds crew usually does its work.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:29:52 PM »
   Starting a round facing east seems even less of a problem. Not too many rounds start at sunrise. That’s when the grounds crew usually does its work.

Sunrise and sun-up are two different elements. Sun-up is a three-four hour period, where you are playing into the rising sun. It matters.

At Sagamore in New York state, Donald JR Jr. went against his instincts, because the opening tee shot plays down a bluff, toward a lovely lake, and needed to happen.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:59:05 AM »
It can make a huge difference in the UK during winter. The sun is low and when it does shine, there is no question it can cause issues. It’s probably my biggest beef with Sherwood Forest. Brutal finishing holes into the sun.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:45:32 AM »
Sean

For the couple of days a year that the sun shines in the UK, I think you can put up with it.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:52:38 AM »
Sean

For the couple of days a year that the sun shines in the UK, I think you can put up with it.

Niall

I can put up with, but I am not a member. I haven’t been back in winter.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back