News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

How much do you do?
« on: Yesterday at 08:35:37 AM »
 ;D ???

So my home club  today is my old home club from the 90's.   The Shore Club in Cape May Court House, NJ. 

Originally built in 1916 , designed by Stiles and Van Cleek , it occupies a  fairly small piece of land that has some interest architecturally. Though fairly flat , it borders on the bay across from Stone Harbor / Avalon NJ two tony shore towns in deep southern NJ.  There are nice views of the water sprinkled all through the golf course. I would categorize it as an excellent members course , given that the greens are really interesting and make it a pretty good test when the wind blows, which it usually does right given the location.

I really like playing there, although there are a few two many dog left lefts for my  liking (doesn't fit my cut ) . It's a little shortish for today's bombers but at least the angles on the doglegs keep them honest. For most of us the blue tees are more than sufficient at 6400 yards given the difficulty of the greens. It's firm thanks to a wonderful superintendent in  Doug Larsen, who is one of the best anywhere. We were lucky the Union League didn't grab him when they built the new course right down the road.

Here's the dilemma . When COVID hit many people fled the urban centers , living at their vacation homes away from the maddening crowd. So when golf flourished post pandemic we had a run on the bank so to say. Wildwood CC was saved from bankruptcy by a group of wealthy investors and The Shore Club emerged from the rubble. They instantly made the club solvent and proceeded to make some necessary capital investments in the club. New irrigation system, a few subtle changes to the golf course and a new 18th hole came into being. Tyler Rae did some bunker work and put some long range plans on paper. The gentrification process was well under way when we emerged from the pandemic.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:57:10 PM by archie_struthers »

archie_struthers

Re: How much do you do?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:22:10 AM »
 ???

So here's the rub. The good news is that the ownership group isn't interested in returns , just having a really nice place close to their summer homes at the beach. But they certainly are exposed to some really good golf courses both in Philly and Florida and have a lot of friends that play some of the best. So naturally they want to make the Shore Club special if possible. But if we do all that they or I might envision to make it really good we might price out some of the best local members and young people who are an integral part of the club.   

So growing pains for sure. If I hit the lottery I'll pay for the changes myself but it would be pretty easy to blow up the 6th and 7th hole one winter and redo them completely. They were added about twenty five years ago so we could have a practice facility near the clubhouse , which none of us would want to lose today. But the holes are pretty bad and certainly don't look like they fit the rest of the architecture.

IN the interim I'd love to see the club build a new green behind and to the left of the present one on # 14 , which would turn an innocuous short par into a great short par four!  You could easily have the green floating just above our little version of Calibogue Sound and make both the tee shot and the approach way cool.  Also I think we could drain the small pond on our 17th and put driver and three wood back in the hands of our better players to their ultimate demise LOL....

the dillemma is how does ownership continue to improve an already good product without disnenfranchising some great members ?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:58:50 PM by archie_struthers »

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:13:55 PM »
Is membership currently full? Does the club have the reserves/capex available currently?  If not, how far away from that number are they?

In an ideal world your dues cover operating expenses and initiation fees go into an account that can be used for capex or rainy day fund needs. Also, if it is an equity club some portion of the initiation would be held on to to back your share of the club as a security. 

I guess it really depends on the type of club and that club's unique financial position.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:23:48 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:31:37 PM »
#nowhitebelt

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:11:26 PM »
 8)

The Shore Club has a full membership and is owned by a small group of member investors. There is an initiation fee but there is no equity for this fee. Love that the membership is limited and they don't just take anyone. We play in less than 3.5 hours almost every time we play. Rules , yes but not crazy.  Think management is doing an exceptional job!  Conditions are typically close to the best in the area on a daily basis.

So if it never changed I would be happy!  However being a golf architecture fan I'm hard pressed not to try and fix or improve some obvious design flaws.  That's the dilemma ...don't want to price out any of my friends but would love to fix some of the holes for sure !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back