GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Elie to restrict visitors

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben Sims:

--- Quote from: David_Tepper on October 04, 2024, 08:42:28 PM ---
I salute Elie for putting their members first and not feeling obliged to "maximize revenue."

--- End quote ---

David,

I think you raise an interesting point. I like to think the standard UK and Ireland club model as we know it today isn’t simply a revenue proposition. But your post makes me curious. Do you think the collectively known “UK club model” is merely economics? Or is something more virtuous and/or traditional driving it? All of the above?

Robin_Hiseman:

--- Quote from: Daryl David on October 04, 2024, 07:19:44 PM ---What is a “casual member”?  Perhaps they are not full members and must use a ballot?

--- End quote ---
Daryl

I read that as being the non-competition times for member play.

Daryl David:

--- Quote from: Robin_Hiseman on Yesterday at 05:37:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Daryl David on October 04, 2024, 07:19:44 PM ---What is a “casual member”?  Perhaps they are not full members and must use a ballot?

--- End quote ---
Daryl

I read that as being the non-competition times for member play.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Makes sense.

David_Tepper:
Ben -

Since I have never been to Elie, know very little about the membership and know nothing at all about the club's finances, I probably should not have posted anything at all.

I am certainly a fan of the GB&I "club model." No doubt revenue from visitor play can have a positive impact on a club's finances. It can help subsidize the members' annual dues and possibly allow clubs to hire extra staff to maintain the course and operate the clubhouse.

That being said, I think many clubs welcome visitors because they have pride in their club and their course and are more than willing to share what they have with visiting golfers.

As we have seen on a couple of other threads here and in the media at large, in may places around the world there is now a push back against the rise in tourism that goes far beyond the world of golf.

My guess is 90% of the visitor play in GB&I happens at less than 10% of the golf clubs. No doubt some of those clubs (and their members) are feeling overwhelmed by visitor play. I see nothing wrong with any club trying to draw a line in some way. Some clubs limit visitor play to certain hours of the day or certain days of the week.

After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

DT   

Thomas Dai:

--- Quote from: David_Tepper on Yesterday at 01:17:40 PM ---As we have seen on a couple of other threads here and in the media at large, in may places around the world there is now a push back against the rise in tourism that goes far beyond the world of golf.
My guess is 90% of the visitor play in GB&I happens at less than 10% of the golf clubs. No doubt some of those clubs (and their members) are feeling overwhelmed by visitor play. I see nothing wrong with any club trying to draw a line in some way. Some clubs limit visitor play to certain hours of the day or certain days of the week.
After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

--- End quote ---
Nicely summarised.
Atb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version