GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Elie to restrict visitors

<< < (4/4)

Adam Lawrence:

--- Quote from: Matt Schoolfield on Yesterday at 02:19:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: David_Tepper on Yesterday at 01:17:40 PM ---After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

--- End quote ---
We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics.

While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.

I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.

--- End quote ---

I don't think there is any real danger of that. Ninety-nine per cent of British golfers (and a fortiori Scottish golfers) would wet their pants if they knew what Americans pay to be members of decent golf clubs. Lower budgets are the main reason for that, but visitor income is an important component.

John Handley:
"In a very naive sense, of course this is true. This perspective, however, ignores the social compact as the basis for property. [/size]If limited, precious resources fall into the hands of too few in a society, and those few do not act as good stewards, don’t be surprised if the state steps in to preserve some type of status quo."

Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.   ::) [/color]

Matt Schoolfield:

--- Quote from: John Handley on Yesterday at 11:59:59 PM ---Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.

--- End quote ---

I would offer up the ladies who have recently joined Pine Valley, thanks to the State of New Jersey, as an example of what I'm talking about.

Sean_A:

--- Quote from: David_Tepper on Yesterday at 01:17:40 PM ---Ben -

Since I have never been to Elie, know very little about the membership and know nothing at all about the club's finances, I probably should not have posted anything at all.

I am certainly a fan of the GB&I "club model." No doubt revenue from visitor play can have a positive impact on a club's finances. It can help subsidize the members' annual dues and possibly allow clubs to hire extra staff to maintain the course and operate the clubhouse.

That being said, I think many clubs welcome visitors because they have pride in their club and their course and are more than willing to share what they have with visiting golfers.

As we have seen on a couple of other threads here and in the media at large, in may places around the world there is now a push back against the rise in tourism that goes far beyond the world of golf.

My guess is 90% of the visitor play in GB&I happens at less than 10% of the golf clubs. No doubt some of those clubs (and their members) are feeling overwhelmed by visitor play. I see nothing wrong with any club trying to draw a line in some way. Some clubs limit visitor play to certain hours of the day or certain days of the week.

After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

DT

--- End quote ---

Some GB&I clubs are fuelling and caught in a vicious circle of loving the visitor money so they can improve the  facilities and “the experience” which promotes more visitor play. I suggest the drive to run clubs like businesses has gone much too far in some cases the result is the visitor experience is cheapened….because clubs….and courses are being homogenised. Tourists get the blame, but it is greedy clubs creating the problem. More power to Elie.

Ciao

Chris Hughes:

--- Quote from: Matt Schoolfield on Today at 12:07:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: John Handley on Yesterday at 11:59:59 PM ---Well let me know when the state of Georgia steps in to let you play Augusta National.

--- End quote ---

I would offer up the ladies who have recently joined Pine Valley, thanks to the State of New Jersey, as an example of what I'm talking about.

--- End quote ---
Is this example really illustrative of "the state" keeping "precious resources (from) falling into the hands of too few in a society"...??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version