GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Elie to restrict visitors

<< < (3/5) > >>

Matt Schoolfield:

--- Quote from: David_Tepper on Yesterday at 01:17:40 PM ---After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.

--- End quote ---
We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics.

While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.

I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.

jeffwarne:

--- Quote from: David_Tepper on October 04, 2024, 08:42:28 PM ---I salute Elie for putting their members first and not feeling obliged to "maximize revenue."

--- End quote ---

This.
IF tee times are so scarce that members need a lottery, it makes perfect sense.
Courses are no better with all the additional revenue, just more crowded with faster greens.
I'm sure at some point they will find a happy medium and eventually offer some visitor play on the odd "in season"(July August) days.

I've often wondered aloud about the gradually over time diminished experience for members at Ballybunion, and now many other clubs.

John Handley:

Quote from: David_Tepper on Today at 01:17:40 PM[size=0px]After all, the primary purpose of a club is to serve its members.[/size]

[/color]We ought to be careful in the way we frame simple heuristics. [/size]While I don't disagree with this statement in general, I would suggest that there is at least some element of stewardship and public reciprocity involved. Once a club begin acting hostile to the general public, there is no reason why the general public ought not act hostile to the private club.I think two months of exclusive use is fair play, but I would worry about cultural issue if Scotland started to trend toward the American model.

@Matthew

A private club is just that....private.  They don't owe the general public access to anything.  These golf clubs in the UK don't owe me "stewardship" to allow me to play their golf course. I feel privileged to be able to play top private clubs in the UK. And I am fine to abide by their rules.  After all, I am a guest. 

[/color]

Peter Sayegh:
Happy to hear Elie is "protecting" their members. Good on them.
That said, I assume maximizing their revenue had a hand in the decision.

Matt Schoolfield:

--- Quote from: John Handley on Yesterday at 05:32:38 PM ---A private club is just that....private.  They don't owe the general public access to anything.  These golf clubs in the UK don't owe me "stewardship" to allow me to play their golf course.

--- End quote ---

In a very naive sense, of course this is true. This perspective, however, ignores the social compact as the basis for property.

If limited, precious resources fall into the hands of too few in a society, and those few do not act as good stewards, don’t be surprised if the state steps in to preserve some type of status quo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version