News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Carlucci

The long-discussed potential restoration of Timber Point to its original 18-hole identity might actually be in the works. There are positive vibes in Suffolk County about taking it back to 18 from the current 27, including restoration of the natural wetlands that were filled in when the course was remodeled in the 1970s. The plan is to make Timber Point Suffolk County's version of Bethpage Black — a world-class public course that remains affordable to residents.

https://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2024/09/momentum-building-toward-golden-age-inspired-restoration-of-timber-point.html
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Anthony Gholz

Re: Timber Point - Momentum building toward Golden Age restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2024, 09:06:11 PM »
Phil:
Dare we dream that Alison's (and his right hand L E Lavis's) greatest NA work would come back to life in situ?  See this site or C&A in NA for Frank Pont's efforts in this direction.  Many years ago, but I have to believe he would still be up for it.
Like the Lido this can't be done (I hope) without first class reality as well as intent.
Reading this I'm definitely smiling, but fingers crossed.
Anthony

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2024, 10:20:10 PM »
This might be of interest, many years ago found this in the New York State Archives after a tip from Phil Young. Not the most detailed of plans, but I was told by the research librarian that there was another plan that was too large and fragile to scan. It might still be there. Anyway:

NYSA_A3320-78_B1_50 by goerges_family, on Flickr

Larger versions are available.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2024, 12:21:25 AM »
Charlie, I found the other plan as well and informed the staff as to its importance back in 2002. It is a complete set of plans that were most likely used on site during the construction as they contain a numerous hand-written comments regarding specific features on many of the holes. I was absolutely stunned at the placement and designs of the individual hazards. I'll look in my archives as I have the exact file number that it is in  and will pass it along. Ironically, it was in with information on the creation of Bethpage State Park. I only looked into those specific items because I thought that it may have been the original Bethpage plans. It may be too large for them to scan, but not for an outside company to do. It also wasn't in any sort of fragile condition back then as I unrolled it and examined it page by page.

Phil Young

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2024, 12:39:33 AM »
For anyone who would like to visit the NY State Archives in Albany, New York, below is the files [they were kept in a number of cardboard boxes back then] in which I found the Timber Point Drawings:

]
A3320
 Maps, plans, and sketches for improvement and development of parks and parkways on Long Island, [ca. 1928-1954] (bulk 1930-1950)
 New York (State). Long Island State Park Commission.

Local system #:
(N-Ar)A3320

Corp/Agency author:
New York (State). Long Island State Park Commission.

Title:
Maps, plans, and sketches for improvement and development of parks and parkways on Long Island, [ca. 1928-1954] (bulk 1930-1950).

Quantity:
3 cu. ft. (ca. 40 maps) : print, some annotated, blueprints ; 60 x 34 cm or larger.

Arrangement:
Numerical by map or plan number.

Abstract:
The series consists of a variety of printed maps, plans, and sketches of parks, recreational areas, and other facilities in Suffolk and Nassau counties that were apparently the focus of the Long Island State Park Commission over several decades. The commission was organized by Chapter 112 of the Laws of 1924 to provide for the location, creation, acquisition, and improvement by the state of parks and parkways in those two counties. The public improvement effort was part of a comprehensive statewide plan for development of a unified state parks and parkways system.

Abstract:
The commission plan called for a parkway system to provide access to individual parks from congested population centers and to improve transit on/to Long Island on attractive routes without interference by commercial traffic. It also called for the acquisition of land on the shores of Long Island to provide maximum park property on the northern and southern shores and at the then underdeveloped eastern end of the island. This included eventual transfer to the state of town beaches in Hempstead, Oyster Bay, and Babylon, lying between Long Beach and Fire Island. Robert Moses was the commission's chairman over several decades of its work, which progressed in stages as money and local politics permitted.

Abstract:
The records are primarily copies of print maps and plans, only some of which are annotated, that were prepared for and recommended by the commission to towns. They include maps showing land to be provided for the Long Island State Parkway system and the relation of private land holdings to the commission; sectional and highway maps of Suffolk County; and zoning and subdivision maps for several towns, showing district boundaries. Examples include a plan for development of Oak Island Beach, Babylon; a vicinity map of Heckscher State Park; and a highway map of Suffolk County annotated with recreation parks. Maps for the Town of Islip apparently relate to commission planning done for restoration and protection of Fire Island; after a hurricane struck in September of 1938, the commission resurrected a plan prepared 10 years earlier, and augmented and revised the maps, property surveys, rights of way and other data prepared at that time.

Abstract:
Other records reflect conveyances for realignments of roads; layout, site, and building plans of marinas and golf courses; plans of specific buildings within recreational complexes, especially clubhouses; aerial surveys of the south shore of Long Island; and one exhibit of sanitation survey application data for Suffolk County. These may relate to commission efforts to improve inlets to cope with increasing marine activity in the 1940s and 1950s as extension of the various links in the plan were completed.

Abstract:
The maps and plans are varied in their characteristics, although the majority are printed copies/blueprints that have been only slightly annotated. Most have distinct title, scale, and legend information and sometimes the commission is named as preparer. Sizes range from 60 x 34 cm to 105 x 260 cm.

Finding aids:
Container list.

Legal citations:
L. 1924, Ch. 112.

Linking entry note:
Agency record NYSV86-a369 describes the history and functions of the Dept. of Environmental Conservation resulting in creation of record series.

Personal subject:
Moses, Robert, 1888-1981.

Corporate subject:
New York (State). Dept. of Environmental Conservation.

Corporate subject:
New York (State). Office of Parks and Recreation.

Corporate subject:
New York (State). Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

Subject:
Parks--Government policy.

Subject:
Environmental policy.

Subject:
Parkways--New York (State)

Subject:
Recreation areas--New York (State)

Subject:
Recreation and state--New York (State)

Subject:
Natural resources, Communal--New York (State)

Geographic terms:
New York (State)

Geographic terms:
Islip (N.Y.)

Geographic terms:
Nassau County (N.Y.)

Geographic terms:
Babylon (N.Y.)

Geographic terms:
Hempstead (N.Y.)

Geographic terms:
Suffolk County (N.Y.)

Form/genre terms:
Maps. aat

Form/genre terms:
Sketches. aat

Form/genre terms:
Plans. aat

Form/genre terms:
Blueprints. aat

Form/genre terms:
Location maps. aat

Form/genre terms:
Plot plans. aat

Function terms:
Planning regional parks. aat

Function terms:
Planning parkways. aat

Function terms:
Protecting natural resources. aat

Corporate author:
New York (State). Division of Parks.

Corporate author:
New York (State). Conservation Dept.

Host item entry:
(CStRLIN)NYSV86-a369.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 01:36:04 AM by Phil Young »

Cal Seifert

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2024, 06:31:00 AM »
Has there been any word on who would be doing the work?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2024, 11:38:44 AM »
I would dearly love for someone to find and scan/post the more detailed plans at the archives. I've spent hours with the one I posted, overlaying it in photoshop with the old aerials, new aerials, comparing everything and determining that there is no physical reason it couldn't be restored. It would be a fascinating project to follow.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2024, 11:46:31 AM »
Here is part of a brief presentation I'd put together about restoring the famous 11th that was described at one point as (paraphrasing) hopping on stones across a stream.

Modern Aerial of that part of the course:

Here is an overlay of what the original plan shows for the 11th hole:

Animation
Here is an animation of the overlay to make the comparison easier:

The greensite appears to have been reused, though I'm sure a thorough re-shaping was done.

Josh Bills

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2024, 01:06:53 PM »
I know the 1930 aerial has been posted other times, but wasn't sure if these from 1938 and 1947 had been. 

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:26:24 AM »
Has there been any word on who would be doing the work?
Nothing official. There have been conversations but they aren't ready to make that information public.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:32:52 AM »
Here is part of a brief presentation I'd put together about restoring the famous 11th that was described at one point as (paraphrasing) hopping on stones across a stream.
The county official leading this project told me the restoration of the 10th and 11th would be "special." He's confident the original natural wetlands would be brought back thanks to cooperation from the DEC, which is the key to a true restoration of that transitional part of the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back